Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Did my brakes tonight .. snapped the bracket pin bolt putting it back together.. there was some play on the caliper .. wasnt sure if that was normal.

Good thing I changed my brakes... here are my rear pads.. nothing left!! no doubt this is why I fell in the rain.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I did my rear brakes for the first time today as well. Thanks for the great write up. Was able to do it within a half hour and riding with new brakes! :choppersmThanks Jstar61 (john) :mosh:

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
Just changed my rear pads for the first time. Thanks John. Great write up and the pics were invaluable. Think I pushed these a bit too far with almost 21000 on them, but they were just starting to rub the rotor, oh well, live and learn. Got a set of font and rear sintered pads off Ebay from Partsangel, http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-VTX-1300-S-C-R-T-Front-Rear-Brake-Pads-2003-2011-2004-2005-2006-2007-2008-/150673370820?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2314d52ec4&vxp=mtr

Great price for both sets in my opinion and 3 days to my door, they were in Cali., on the free shipping.

Thanks again John.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Um, please excuse my ignorance but can somebody tell me exactly what this means? The rest of the post makes sense but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to do what the first line instructs.

"Push the caliper all the way in toward the center of the wheel to compress the piston, and make room for the new, thicker pads."

I was under the impression that the entire brake assembly was called the caliper. I have no clue where to push to push the caliper all the way in. Can someone please explain this in a little more detail? Also, do I have to remove the brake resevoir cover and remove some brake fluid to push in the caliper to make room for the fluid? Thanks in advance. Cheers.

Kryssis

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
The whole assembly is the caliper. It "floats" on the bracket pin. If you push the whole assembly in toward the center of the wheel, it will compress the piston, which is on the outer part of the caliper.
There is no need to remove any fluid when compressing the caliper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
That's ALWAYS the case.

But it's worth it for others, believe me! :mosh:

Nice job! :cheers:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have bled my brakes twice, there is still a drag on the brakes. Came back from a ride and the rotor was so hot is sizzled when I spit on it. I took the caliper apart and cleaned it yesterday, popped the piston out and cleaned that. However rotor still gets hot. Any ideas?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Just did my rear pads yesterday (before I saw this thread) ... and it literally took me all of about 1 minute to do the job! I could believe how easy they change. Remove 1 pin and bolt, slide out old pads and slide in new. A simple screw driver easily pried the pistons in. Oh... add a minute to pop anti-squeal plates off old and on to new pads. Bolt was clean and still well lubricated. Next time I'll probably do the preventative stuff.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Has anyone noticed a squeeking from the brakes when coming to a stop? Everything looks good with just under 13k on the bike.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Wow....I posted on here back in 09. Since then, I have 22K on my bike. I ordered the EBC back then probably. I put on a new tire 2 months ago. I ran over a piece of metal last week. When I had the tire off, I decided to change the brakes. There was some left, but not a whole lot. Some little piece of metal fell off as soon as I took them off. I assumed it was a wear indicator.... the piece that squeaks when the pads are wore out. Does anyone have any guesses? I will get a pic if I have too. There arent that many parts in there to fall out. I was going to download the manual again, but I dont have the program required to read it.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Wow....I posted on here back in 09. Since then, I have 22K on my bike. I ordered the EBC back then probably. I put on a new tire 2 months ago. I ran over a piece of metal last week. When I had the tire off, I decided to change the brakes. There was some left, but not a whole lot. Some little piece of metal fell off as soon as I took them off. I assumed it was a wear indicator.... the piece that squeaks when the pads are wore out. Does anyone have any guesses? I will get a pic if I have too. There arent that many parts in there to fall out. I was going to download the manual again, but I dont have the program required to read it.
There are no wear indicators on these brakes. There are two small clips, parts 4 and 6 in this link...

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2112767&category=Motorcycles&make=HONDA&year=2007&fveh=124560

Part 6 is what holds the front of the pads aligned, and part 4 is a spring clip that pushes down on the pads.
There is also a thin backing plate on the pads, which I believe is for anti squeal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey John easy to follow instrcutions, but I need som helpp with front brakes pads, I removed them and surprisingly I found out that the left pad (Internal) is much more worn than the rigth one, I should say that the right pad is almost new compared with the left one. It seems as the calipper pressure is not equal. Any clue?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I expect the caliper is stuck on the slide pin. The caliper should float free in a in and out direction. Grease the slide pins top and bottom of caliper.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts