Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has a 04 1300... 23000 miles ..started viberating between 40-70..jars your teeth. We are going to change spark plugs this afternoon..Hope this corrects the problem. Not a tire problem..If anyone has had this problem before let me know...thanks.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Neck bearings....do a search and you will see a lot of discussion on this. I have the same bike and had to change mine......

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
This should be in the Help forum not the introduction forum. No harn just letting you know, you'll get more responses in the right forums.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
just for saying, 1800 riders will usually complain of a 1300's motor vibration. The dual pin crank on the 1800 engine gives a smoother ride (less engine vibration) than the 1300 single pin crankshaft engine. My brother, owns an 1800, borrowed my bike the other day and when he returned it he told me to check the motor as it was vibrating quite a bit. I hopped on, took it down the street, to me its just normal 1300 vibration that gets pretty shaky at certain speeds, but smooths out into sweet spot speeds. This might or might not be the case with your friends 1300. Just a question, did he just buy it recently? Bry

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I would lean towards the neck bearings even though pulling the clutch seems to alleviate the problem. I haven't changed mine out yet but I know that I'm in need of it. Good luck on finding the correct fix to the problem.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
First to all newbies- Run your tire pressure at 38-40 front and 40 psi rear or you will rune your tires in 7-9k miles - if you run the pressure above suggested you will get over 18k. And the bike will be more stable on the road.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I'd guess either air up to 40/40 or check the rear shock bushings. If they haven't been replaced with nylon with that mileage, it will make a world of difference. $5 investment. Next guess would be the neck bearings. Stock ones are crap. Go with Roller bearings for 1800: fits the 1300 fine. $40 for the part... All Balls bearings.
Paul

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
If the clutch is pulled and it gets smooth
It isn't tires
It isn't neck bearings
It isn't bushings

It has to be fuel related
Dirty carb
Dirty filter
Worn or fouled plug or plugs.

I tend to lean towards a dirty carb or jetting slightly off.

So first off run some seafoam or even Techron cleaner.
It may take a couple of tanks and if it doesn't clear up then maybe pull and clean the carb.

There will be a little more vibes due to the single pin crank and it may well be what he is feeling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts