Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 1300C and I am looking for a detailed wiring diagram for it. Specifically, for use with the Kuryakyn Triple Threat run-turn-brake rear lights. I took apart my rear end to do some body modifications and as murphy's law like's to do, the electrical is not lining back up to the way it was.

I have the rear left working as designed (running light, blinker and brake) but have only got the rear right lights to brake and blink but no running light. I have no problems hard wiring this electrical but cant specifically find the low voltage running light wire to splice for input to the rear right lights.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I have the service manual! Anyone who is gets into detailed work on their bike, especially with electrical, knows that the service manual is no where near detailed. I'm looking for a specific wiring diagram for the bike, not an electrical overview that doesn't tell me anything in detail. Thanks though..?!

·
Gecko?
5,411 Posts
Well, you didn't mention that you had it...sorry for trying to help?

My manual does have a wiring diagram in it. I don't see why you'd need anymore information than that, but I guess I'm not that intelligent.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, you didn't mention that you had it...sorry for trying to help?

My manual does have a wiring diagram in it. I don't see why you'd need anymore information than that, but I guess I'm not that intelligent.
Posted via Mobile Device

Honestly, it's just me looking for help, not looking for some rhetoric to get started between two people. Relax and just enjoy life brother, it's too short to make snappy comments.

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't take anything here personal. I really do want to know what there is you need to know that's not in the diagram in the manual though.
Posted via Mobile Device

:banghead: Specifically, I'm looking for a common hot lead for running lights that I can splice to both the rear left and rear right. It has to separate from the brake and blinker leads (lower voltage). Detailed wiring diagrams show the voltage and color schemes that are associated with specific hot leads so you know which to use for power taps. This stuff is not in the service manual but is in the wiring diagram that Honda sells but I don't want to spend the $60 if someone here has it to download.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
:banghead: Specifically, I'm looking for a common hot lead for running lights that I can splice to both the rear left and rear right. It has to separate from the brake and blinker leads (lower voltage). Detailed wiring diagrams show the voltage and color schemes that are associated with specific hot leads so you know which to use for power taps. This stuff is not in the service manual but is in the wiring diagram that Honda sells but I don't want to spend the $60 if someone here has it to download.
Doc - I have the 04 wiring diagram open and it shows no running light circuit on the back - just on the front. On the back turn signals - common wire is green Power wire on Right turn signal is light blue. Power wire on Left turn signal is orange.

Let me know if you need more info.

More info - Green is common on the front turn signals for both running lights and turn signal lights.

More info 2 - There is no low voltage lead. The running lights are just a second 5 watt filament in the lamp. Looks like the same lamp as the brake light 21/5 watt. These lamps are in the front while the rear turn signals only show a single filament.

·
Cafe Vendor
3,785 Posts
JPRICE, the manual I downloaded from here had all the information you are looking for. I have printed one off and laminated it since I am an electrical nut. The wiring diagram has all the information anyone would need, which is why Beefy is "Honestly" curious as to what else you may need. Nobody is attacking here, we just honestly want to help, that is what is so cool with the Cafe versus the "other" forum where Flamining is common.

Our electrical system is 12 VDC throughout. No lower voltage at the blinkers just different wires to seperate Running lights and Turn Signal. that is why the OEM Front signal bulbs are dual element.

But in an honest effort to be helpful, the OEM tail light should have 3 wires going to it. Green w/Yellow stripe (Brake Light), Brown (Running Light) and Green (Ground) At the fuse box the Brown wire is Black w/Brown stripe and is on the "B" fuse (10A). Going to the front signals the Black/Brown wire becomes Orange w/White stripe (Left Front Running Light) and Light Blue w/White stripe (Right Front Running Light)

Hope this has helped.

Jeff

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JPRICE, the manual I downloaded from here had all the information you are looking for. I have printed one off and laminated it since I am an electrical nut. The wiring diagram has all the information anyone would need, which is why Beefy is "Honestly" curious as to what else you may need. Nobody is attacking here, we just honestly want to help, that is what is so cool with the Cafe versus the "other" forum where Flamining is common.

Our electrical system is 12 VDC throughout. No lower voltage at the blinkers just different wires to seperate Running lights and Turn Signal. that is why the OEM Front signal bulbs are dual element.

But in an honest effort to be helpful, the OEM tail light should have 3 wires going to it. Green w/Yellow stripe (Brake Light), Brown (Running Light) and Green (Ground) At the fuse box the Brown wire is Black w/Brown stripe and is on the "B" fuse (10A). Going to the front signals the Black/Brown wire becomes Orange w/White stripe (Left Front Running Light) and Light Blue w/White stripe (Right Front Running Light)

Hope this has helped.

Jeff

The kuryakyn triple whammy (run-turn-brake) has a controller in the wiring harness but more importantly only has two wires being utilized on each of the bullet styled lights (black for ground and pink for hot). Somehow, can't figure how yet, the pink hot is controlling the tail light, brake and blinker?! With the electrical having issues right now, I am trying to bypass the controller on the right side and splice the tail light wire, brake wire, and blinker wire into the pink hot lead running to the rear right light.

I found the blinker and brake for the right rear but with just those two held to the pink hot lead going to the light, the light doesn't light up when key is turned as a tail light and only works as a brake light and blinker. The brake and blinker work fine, just can't figure out how to get a tail light to the pink wire. The left rear light works fine, just having issues with the rear right light? Not sure where to go from here!

·
Cafe Vendor
3,785 Posts
Doc,
Let me try and find a wiring diagram for the Tripple whammy. More than happy to try and help, just not familiar with the TW wiring needs.

What lights do you have for rear signal lights, OEM or aftermarket. If aftermarket are they only single element like OEM or are they LED?

Looking at the TW installation instruction, I do not see a pink wire in picture, is this wire from your signal light?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Recently did this install as well and order the wrong type... Had to splice the hot wires to turn signals in order to work...

I did not have a pink wire... there are 2 version of this for the VTX one for the '03 to '05 that has 3 wires coming out of the module( I have this one). Right turn/run - Left turn/run & running /brake light. Plus Black ground that gets tied to the frame with the other black ground from the input side..

If it is the one you have the green wires do not get spliced they just get left alone. the run ckt for the turn signals happens in the module. So you can not bypass the module.

So yes one wire controls all 3 functions of the turn signal ( I know it seem like black magic but it works! We only have single element bulbs in our turn signals.)

Now you could have a generic one & then all bets are off as I have not laid my hands on one... are you sure you have a pink wire and not a violet one?

Try to take some pics & post them we should be able to talk you trough this!

You may need to channel a higher power by sitting in yoga position & chant " Ohms Law... Ohms Law... Ohms Law" ;););)

Edit: Ok I just ripped into my bike...
The input side (Goesinta): This has the load equalizer Clips on the module & all wiring from the bike side derives from the fuse box( Or from that general area )

Module Brown = Right Turn Input = Bike Light blue
Module Violet = Left Turn Input = Bike Orange
Module Red = Brake = Bike Green/Yellow (mine had two wires into one disconnect)
Module Blue = Module Power = Tapped from the bikes brown with one of those quick clampy thingys - (yes that is the technical term)
Module Black input ground to frame!

The output side (Goesouta): This has the 4 wires & the flasher tab(if installed) this goes to the bike's wiring harness that goes to the lamps/loads whatever you want to call it.

Module Brown = Right Turn Out = Bikes Light Blue
Module Violet = Left Turn Out = Bike Orange
Module Red = Brake Out = Bikes Green/Yellow
Module Black Output ground to Frame.

Hope this helps! Again no pink wire...

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Recently did this install as well and order the wrong type... Had to splice the hot wires to turn signals in order to work...

I did not have a pink wire... there are 2 version of this for the VTX one for the '03 to '05 that has 3 wires coming out of the module( I have this one). Right turn/run - Left turn/run & running /brake light. Plus Black ground that gets tied to the frame with the other black ground from the input side..

If it is the one you have the green wires do not get spliced they just get left alone. the run ckt for the turn signals happens in the module. So you can not bypass the module.

So yes one wire controls all 3 functions of the turn signal ( I know it seem like black magic but it works! We only have single element bulbs in our turn signals.)

Now you could have a generic one & then all bets are off as I have not laid my hands on one... are you sure you have a pink wire and not a violet one?

Try to take some pics & post them we should be able to talk you trough this!

You may need to channel a higher power by sitting in yoga position & chant " Ohms Law... Ohms Law... Ohms Law" ;););)

Edit: Ok I just ripped into my bike...
The input side (Goesinta): This has the load equalizer Clips on the module & all wiring from the bike side derives from the fuse box( Or from that general area )

Module Brown = Right Turn Input = Bike Light blue
Module Violet = Left Turn Input = Bike Orange
Module Red = Brake = Bike Green/Yellow (mine had two wires into one disconnect)
Module Blue = Module Power = Tapped from the bikes brown with one of those quick clampy thingys - (yes that is the technical term)
Module Black input ground to frame!

The output side (Goesouta): This has the 4 wires & the flasher tab(if installed) this goes to the bike's wiring harness that goes to the lamps/loads whatever you want to call it.

Module Brown = Right Turn Out = Bikes Light Blue
Module Violet = Left Turn Out = Bike Orange
Module Red = Brake Out = Bikes Green/Yellow
Module Black Output ground to Frame.

Hope this helps! Again no pink wire...
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

The wires are violet, I just called them pink, probably due to frustration.

The latest is this.... the left rear works fine with the blinker, run and brake lights. I have been able to get the right rear to fire up the running light and blinker but no brake light. One thing I can't seem to get is a brighter light on the right side when brake is applied!? I think something in the controller is fried because the left works fine with one violet wire as the hot and the black as ground. The right side however should be going directly to the brown wire coming out of the controller and doing the same functions as the left is but it's not.

I tried every electrical trick I know to try to bypass one side of the controller board so I can get the right up and working but no joy on that! As much as I don't and didn't want to come to the conclusion that I need a new controller, it's looking that way. I just don't want to spend $65 - $75 on a new one.

If anyone knows of a cheaper way, OF ANY KIND, to get my hands on a replacement, I am all ears! I just hate having to come up with money in order to get my bike legally back on the road again, especially after soooo much money and time has been put into so far. I'm just frustrated to say the least!
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Cafe Vendor
3,785 Posts

The wires are violet, I just called them pink, probably due to frustration.

The latest is this.... the left rear works fine with the blinker, run and brake lights. I have been able to get the right rear to fire up the running light and blinker but no brake light. One thing I can't seem to get is a brighter light on the right side when brake is applied!? I think something in the controller is fried because the left works fine with one violet wire as the hot and the black as ground. The right side however should be going directly to the brown wire coming out of the controller and doing the same functions as the left is but it's not.

I tried every electrical trick I know to try to bypass one side of the controller board so I can get the right up and working but no joy on that! As much as I don't and didn't want to come to the conclusion that I need a new controller, it's looking that way. I just don't want to spend $65 - $75 on a new one.

If anyone knows of a cheaper way, OF ANY KIND, to get my hands on a replacement, I am all ears! I just hate having to come up with money in order to get my bike legally back on the road again, especially after soooo much money and time has been put into so far. I'm just frustrated to say the least!
Hey Doc,
since you have concluded that the module may be toast, you have nothing to loose. Open that baby up and see if you can see anything obvious. I should not be too complicated, surface mount resistors, diodes, capacitors and maybe a transistor or two. Use a magnifiying glass and thouroghly examine the surface of these components. Most can be bought at radio shack or worst case online.

Jeff

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Doc,
since you have concluded that the module may be toast, you have nothing to loose. Open that baby up and see if you can see anything obvious. I should not be too complicated, surface mount resistors, diodes, capacitors and maybe a transistor or two. Use a magnifiying glass and thouroghly examine the surface of these components. Most can be bought at radio shack or worst case online.

Jeff
I opened it up a few hours ago and examined it for the signs of fried components. Didn't see anything but troubleshot the throughput of the hot leads and it appears the brown output side is where the problem lies. It just won't control the 3 lights like the violet wire does on the left side. The cheapest I have found a new one is $62.99 plus shipping so I'm hoping I find a cheaper alternative by the end of night or I'll have to go ahead and buy one.:nope:

·
Registered
715 Posts
the left works fine with one violet wire as the hot and the black as ground.
FYI the black wire needs to go the frame and the green wire needs to stay connected. You may want try that in case the module is not gerounding properly? Just a thought.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FYI the black wire needs to go the frame and the green wire needs to stay connected. You may want try that in case the module is not gerounding properly? Just a thought.
Posted via Mobile Device
:hmm2:Green wire connected to what?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Jprice green from the turn signals stay hooked up to the greens comming from the fuse box then the two blacks from the module go to the frame.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I was able to get to that point during my "fun" play with the electrical last night. I went ahead and ordered a new controller/module last night. Found a good deal so I went for it. We'll see....? I'll post an update after it gets here.........

·
Registered
07 VTX 1300C, No mods yet
31 Posts
Do we have an update or is that the slowest usps delivery in the world?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts