Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I was hoping someone might have some insight on this issue.

I recently adjusted the valve clearances on my VTX 1300R. Before I did this the bike was running properly. After I adjusted the valves to the proper clearances, I fired it up and found that it was stuttering on acceleration and would die under load. I thought I might have adjusted the valves incorrectly, so I opened it up again and double checked. All the valves are within the specified tolerances. It seemed like the bike was running lean, so I purchased Glen's A/F Tool and backed out the A/F Screw. The bike runs better but I still get an occasional stutter on acceleration. I am also confused why I would need to adjust the A/F after a valve adjustment. I have also visually checked all the vacuum hose connections. I didn't see any loose ends.

Just for background info, I also changed the oil and air filter at the same time I adjusted the valves. I purchased my bike with aftermarket pipes already installed. The previous owner jetted and dyno tuned the bike. Any ideas?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Check the battery cables and make sure they are tight. Also check the green and black wires going to the ICM. I had the same problem last year and the green wire was broken.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
I dont see how the valve adjustment can make the A/F change. Mechanically, it makes no sense to me.

So, I would lean more towards the things you took off the bike to GET to the Valves to do them.

Check your choke assembly.
Check Vaccum lines.
Check Battery Cables tight.
Examine Wires at ECM.

Thats where I would start.. Im leaning towards something with the vacum lines.

-Gonz

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
:banghead: I knew that ... LOL ...
I knew you did just didn't want him chasing his tail.

He posted he changed his filter, a clean filter flows more air which in turn will lean the bike out till it gets a little grime in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm gonna take a look at it this weekend. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
What did you end up setting the A/F at. Stock bike should be set about 2.5 turns.

Doug

·
Registered
141 Posts
Doubledco

Also make sure that you remembered to plug the vent line back into the rear of the tank.

My father forgot once to put it back on and it was doing the same thing you just mentioned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts