Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1300R vibration and noise

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  bodyman1 
#1 ·
I have an 07 VTX 1300R with 4500 miles and it started to make a noise like something
rubbing inside the engine or transmission when I let the clutch out and when I get up to around
45 mph or higher it has a bad vibration thru all the gears. It will stop the noise and vibration when I let off the
throttle or push in the clutch. The engine runs great and the clutch is not slipping and out of gear
it makes no noise or vibrations at all. What do the experts think or has anyone had this to happen
before? Open to all ideas and advise.

Thanks in advance,
Toby

#2 ·
Just an update, I replaced the clutch with a new heavy duty clutch and the gears change better, but
the noise and vibration are still there so my next place to check is the universal joint and drive shaft.
If that dose not solve the problem I am at a dead end and will contact my dealer or just ride it until
something breaks.

Toby

#3 ·
I talked to the dealer today and the tech gave me some info about my vibration, it may be from the final drive unit. Have any of the experts on here ever heard of this before? I am waiting on the universal joint to arrive
so after I put everything back together and ride it if the vibration is still there I may find a used final drive
and try that. If all else fails I will ride it until something breaks or comes apart.

Toby

#4 ·
I would be surprised if a bike that has only 4500 miles on it needed a new final drive unit. I would recommend double-checking all the components that can rattle and cause vibration during acceleration/under load. These would include, motor mounts, exhaust connections, rear wheel, etc. Make sure something just hasn't wiggled it was loose and is causing vibration and noise.

#5 ·
Thanks for the advice, I will check the motor mounts and have already checked the exhaust system
and tuned the engine as well. When I get everything back together I will check the rear wheel.
I have installed new tires front and rear and balanced them. So I don't know of much more to check.
Toby

#6 ·
When you had the rear wheel removed, did you check to see if the flange bearings were ok? Those are a known issue.

#7 ·
Here is the last update on the noise and vibration problem. First the noise was a broken plastic piece
on the front cylinder head, second the vibration was the universal joint. I replaced the universal joint
and removed the plastic cover and checked everything that I could think of and re greased all of the
bearings after checking them and checked all of the bolts and put it all back together and went for a ride
and all is good for now! Thanks for the suggestions and advise from everyone and hope this may help someone in the future. Now to put some serious miles on this garage queen!

Toby

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.