Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - new to the forum and a year owning my 2006 1300C (and loving it!)

I had posted on an old thread from 2013 and it was recommended I start a thread for collective info. The yellow-ish 14-pin ground junction in the boot (also contains the turn signal and rear light wires) on the right side behind the cover has been giving me a little bit of trouble. Fortunately, I have been able to isolate the wire that is causing the problem and can recreate the issue. (The issue: the wire moves and the headlight dims, all turn signal dimly glow when any direction is initiated, and the high beam indicator shows. I also had one situation where I lost all power to the bike). I have not been able to figure out which instrument this ground wire belongs to but if held showing the heavier wire heading back to the chasis on the right, this wire is all the way to the left in the 2nd row (if that makes sense).

The actual reason I started the thread was to find out if there is a name for this junction clip and where to purchase a new one. The plastic clip is warm to the touch, which tells me there is an ohm issue (not confirmed through a tester) from that trouble ground wire looking for a pathway. I have been looking all over every parts company's blowout diagram and can't get a part number. Is it included in the wire harness without a specific part number? Is this simply, just open the clip, clean all of the metal, and then reseat the wire?

(It's also strange that this piece is not indicated anywhere in the shop manual).

Thank you to anyone that takes the time to help out. I've been reading threads in this forum and am really impressed by the creativity and knowledge you all have.

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
11,125 Posts
The multi-pin wire connectors can give problems but it is very rare. Before you do anything else, I recommend separating the two halves of the connector, cleaning what you can (maybe reach very gently down into each connector to scrape at the pins with a metal probe if the pins are accessible), put some dielectric grease on each pin, and plug it back together. The pins are difficult to get out and require either the proper pin removal tool which differs for each brand of connector or a lot of trial and error with a long needle to learn where to release the lock tabs and how to do this.

Reactions: sumdatx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The multi-pin wire connectors can give problems but it is very rare. Before you do anything else, I recommend separating the two halves of the connector, cleaning what you can (maybe reach very gently down into each connector to scrape at the pins with a metal probe if the pins are accessible), put some dielectric grease on each pin, and plug it back together. The pins are difficult to get out and require either the proper pin removal tool which differs for each brand of connector or a lot of trial and error with a long needle to learn where to release the lock tabs and how to do this.
Thank you for your advice. I did exactly as you said. The pin wasn't terrible to remove. A small flat-head screwdriver did the trick. I found the ground wire I suspected started to burn the plastic (scorched a little). I cleaned the surfaces and reformed the grip of the pin. Also added the grease. It works like a charm. I really appreciate your help!

·
Super Moderator
11,125 Posts
Glad it worked out well for you. Your pin removal skills are clearly superior to mine :) I struggled a lot removing the pins when running my wife's handlebar wires internally in the bars.

Reactions: sumdatx
1 - 4 of 4 Posts