Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all -- Just installed a new OEM starter relay solenoid, turned the key, instrument panel lit up strong. Hit the kill switch, injectors engaged strong. Pushed the ignition button, got half a crank, then everything went dead. Did I blow a fuse?

While installing the solenoid, I did arc from the right post to the frame and got a spark. But I still had power.

Already done the following:
1) Cleaned ignition switch.
2) Tried starting with kickstand up and clutch in.
3) Battery good.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom.

·
Too short for my weight
5,585 Posts
Don't be discouraged.... the wise 1800 owners will show up shortly.... good luck man, I wish I could help you!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Does sound like a fuse. Check 10 amp (red) on right side by battery, then 30 amp main fuse just below solenoid. If you messed w/ battery check that all wires have been reconnected, there's a lot, easy to miss one. (tighten w/ wrench, not screw driver). Also Might check kickstand connection. Make sure bike is in neutral, stand up, if it starts great now try with stand down and in gear. Let us know what you find

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does sound like a fuse. Check 10 amp (red) on right side by battery, then 30 amp main fuse just below solenoid. If you messed w/ battery check that all wires have been reconnected, there's a lot, easy to miss one. (tighten w/ wrench, not screw driver). Also Might check kickstand connection. Make sure bike is in neutral, stand up, if it starts great now try with stand down and in gear. Let us know what you find
Thanks for the post -- not to sound dumb, but what signs am I looking for when I check the main fuse by the solenoid? I pulled it apart, inspected it, and other than a little wear on the contacts, I wasn't sure how to tell if it was bad. All fuses on the right side (ignition, etc.) were good.

As of now, I can't check the kickstand -- which was working before I changed the starter relay solenoid -- because there's no power at all when I turn the key. Thanks again!

·
The Dude That Rides
2,418 Posts
Test fuse with meter. Pull it out and use the lowest Ohms setting. Anything other than zero means bad fuse. Blown fuse will read infinity. If that is good, put it back in. If still no power, start with battery connections and disconnect, clean, and then reconnect. Read battery voltage with nothing connected, and then with wires connected. Should read the same. If the battery voltage drops, or just reads nothing, you have something drawing power sharply. But then the main fuse may have blown as a result. If the main fuse has been blown, you need to trace what happened. Why did you change the solenoid? Are you SURE the wires are connected to the proper places. You should have seen what I did to an LTD I had once. All because wired wrong on solenoid. Hopefully it's something simple. Please let us know what you find out.

Reactions: vfreek76

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys. I had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday. Turned key on, heard fuel pump, all lights good, hit start button, then everything totally dead! No horn or lights etc. I went through all 5 or 6 mini fuses in the main fuse box and all were fine. I am not sure exactly where the 30Amp main fuse is?? You say near the solonoid, but is it a "box" type relay, or an actual plastic fuse where you can see if the fuse is blown. I really appreciate any help on this. I have the damn manual but there is nothing in the index for FUSE or MAIN FUSE....so annoying!! Thanks!

·
The Dude That Rides
2,418 Posts
My main fuse, that I accidently found one day, is under the left side panel adjacent to the starter solenoid, that I also wasn't looking for. It's green and in a single fuse holder thing, and yes it's plastic that you can look through just like the other ones. I can't describe it very well. Pull it out and test it. Check for power after you put it back in, on the fuse itself. You will see on the top of the fuse two small access points for a meter to test for voltage. I will make sense when you see it. Most of the time, for me, when everything goes dead it's a bad battery connection. For me. Happens all the time on my old car that sits for years at a time. Please let us know what you find out. We all benefit from feedback when a problem is solved.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Test fuse with meter. Pull it out and use the lowest Ohms setting. Anything other than zero means bad fuse. Blown fuse will read infinity. If that is good, put it back in. If still no power, start with battery connections and disconnect, clean, and then reconnect. Read battery voltage with nothing connected, and then with wires connected. Should read the same. If the battery voltage drops, or just reads nothing, you have something drawing power sharply. But then the main fuse may have blown as a result. If the main fuse has been blown, you need to trace what happened. Why did you change the solenoid? Are you SURE the wires are connected to the proper places. You should have seen what I did to an LTD I had once. All because wired wrong on solenoid. Hopefully it's something simple. Please let us know what you find out.
Changed the solenoid because that's where I'd isolated previous no-start issue -- when I arced across solenoid, bike fired right up. Haven't touched the battery connections since, so I doubt it's battery connections. Took a pic of solenoid connections before disassembly, then replaced them exactly. I'm inexperienced with electrical systems -- other than simple battery care/replacement -- but I'll get a meter and check fuses. Thanks very much for the input.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys. I had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday. Turned key on, heard fuel pump, all lights good, hit start button, then everything totally dead! No horn or lights etc. I went through all 5 or 6 mini fuses in the main fuse box and all were fine. I am not sure exactly where the 30Amp main fuse is?? You say near the solonoid, but is it a "box" type relay, or an actual plastic fuse where you can see if the fuse is blown. I really appreciate any help on this. I have the damn manual but there is nothing in the index for FUSE or MAIN FUSE....so annoying!! Thanks!
Yeah, definitely let me know what happens, please!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey guys. I had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday. Turned key on, heard fuel pump, all lights good,
hit start button, then everything totally dead! No horn or lights etc. ..so annoying!! Thanks!
I suggest a test meter or a test light.
I had a battery go open on a ride once--it gave me lights with key On but as soon as the starter button was pushed in all went dead and stayed dead
until Ign switch turned off. When I turned Ign switch On again--lights on.. Loose battery connections---vibration loosens many battery connections..

Two 30amp Main fuses on the left side.
One serves the Starter relay, cooling fan and all the lights.
The other one is the FI system power fuse. (ECM, injectors, Ignition coils)
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z350/hans1300/1800%20stuff/1800%20Left%20cover%2030A%20fuses%20starter%20relay.jpg

[url]http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z350/hans1300/1800%20stuff/1800starterrelayckt-2.png

[/URL]

·
The Dude That Rides
2,418 Posts
If you can 'jump' the contacts on the solenoid and it starts, then I would check to see if the trigger side of the solenoid gets power when the starter button is pushed. There is a relay that inhibits the solenoid from getting power under certain conditions. Back trace from there. I'm looking for a better wiring diagram that what I have now. It's so crappy it's barely readable, otherwise I could be more help. For now. The search continues...

·
The Dude That Rides
2,418 Posts
I found one. It's a jpeg and it's in good shape and you can zoom in and it's readable. Now to figure out how to put it on here for you, cause the buttons aren't working. wtf

·
The Dude That Rides
2,418 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts