Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Riding On The Dark Side
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,

I have a 06' VTX 1800N and want to put a HK 2 into 1 Sideburner on it. According to everything I read and talked to shops they say the exhaust is
different from other VTX 1800 models. Can someone tell me the difference between say a N, R and T models other than the obvious. Is there anything
different in the way the pipes lay on a R or T model, than the N model. To me each model looks the same when comparing the different models.

Any help would be thankful. You can email me at [email protected] if needed.

Thanks for your time,

Roy Perry

·
Archive Digger
675 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I've got an R model and have been checking out new exhaust for about 1 1/2 months (I know, I know pick already) but everywhere I look they (NRST) are lumped together. Hope that helps.

·
Riding On The Dark Side
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason I ask it that looking at Hard Kromes website or any web site they all say that this exhaust is specific to the N model. I just don't want to buy something that is going to be useless to me...

Thanks for your time,

Roy

·
Registered
320 Posts
In my mind any of these pipes are pretty good outlay of cash. If you have a particular make that you're interested in and have done all the internet searches that you can, then I'd suggest calling the manufacturer and talking to someone who really understands their pipes and your particular bike.

·
Registered
73 Posts
06 vtx 1800n

I am in the process of installing a set of them as we speak. I talked to the guy at HK, he said they will not fit due to the original mounting bracket for the mufflers. I am having a hard time getting the muffler on. My brother is coming over tomorrow to help me out. He has it installed on his 1800c. Hes telling me I have to wallop them good, kinda scared to. Its my wifes bike. She would kill me if something went wrong. Will try and post again when I am done. Some pics to if I can.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Bro, yes you do have to use the school of bigger hammers in order to get the muffler on. I'll try to find you the link to the directions that I used when installing mine (BTW, you will love them once they are on). I had my wife hold up the muffler, while I used a sledge hammer to whallop on a piece of wood that I had against the bracket on the muffler. Even that took a while and I was using a 3 lb sledge. mscales was trying to contact me the whole time to let me know that I should bend the opening of the muffler JUST A LITTLE in order to make the installation go easier. BTW msacles is very helpful in getting these sideburners on. Good luck bro! Your wife is going to be a very happy girl

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I found the info, but it wasn't a posting, it was a pm from mscales, here's the info:

THe muffler fits tight on the pipes so you should open the muffler overlap a little. You can do this by tapping on the area with a hammer. Do this with the muffler clamps on to ensure they will go back over the expanded area. Test fit the muffler so that it slides on the pipes with only light pressure. You can do this with the pipes off the bike.

This should be your first step: clean and wax you pipes a couple times BEFORE you install them. This will remove any grease or oil before you heat the pipes up.

2nd step is to open the muffler overlaps like described above so it slides over the pipes without beating the muffler to much.

The 3rd step it so install the pipes to the head making sure they fit INTO the head and leave a little loose.

4th: Mount the rear bracket and leave just snug. You will need to move this a bit later on.

5th: Cut a stripe of cardboard that will fit into thechannel where the STRIP NUT goes. Double it over if you need to but make it hold the STRIP NUT snuggly in place. This makes it much easier to moutn the muffler since you can't get it in easy to line the nut strip up. Leave the cardboard LONG (sticking out) so you can pull it out after you get the bolts started.

6th: Open the muffler clamps a little so they will slip up over teh expanded are of the pipe and don't let them slip back toward the muffler. Keep them toward the pipes. Now install the muffler onto the pipes and just lightly snug the clamps.

7th: Now, with the muffler installed on teh pipes lift the muffler up until you can get a bolt started. You can use somehting to put through the bracket holes to move the strip nut into alignment. Install the bolts and leave snug.

8th: With everything installed and lightly snug, lift the muffler and pipes until they are straight inline with the frame. You don't want the pipes to droop down or go up at the tip unless you want that look. They should be parrallel with the frame. with the pipes posistioned tighten the rear bracket to the frame. Check to make sure they are still parrallel to the frame. If they are, then tighten the muffler bolts into the strip nuts. Now, make sure the head pipes are SEATED INTO the heads correctly and tighten the pipes at the head. Now you can tighten the clamps on the mufflers.

Fire up the bike and listen for any exhaust leaks at the heads. You can also use your hand to feel for any leaks before the pipes get to hot.

Congrates, you pipes are installed.

Hope that helps.

·
Master Chromer
4,226 Posts
R, S, T, and N exhausts are most certainly interchangeable. None of the manufacturers actually know it because the N's are so rare and haven't been test fitted but the pipes will most certainly fit your bike. I have pipes off of an R on my bike.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I love the 2 to 1 pipes. My bike sounds like a big block 454.

You won't be disappointed.....

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
Madmatt has good info there. To fit the mufflers make sure you expand hte openign so they slide over the pipes. They are very tight if you don't do this. Also, the Pipes ar ehte same for all the different models of 1800 but the muffler mounting bracket is different.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
R, S, T, and N exhausts are most certainly interchangeable. None of the manufacturers actually know it because the N's are so rare and haven't been test fitted but the pipes will most certainly fit your bike. I have pipes off of an R on my bike.
the r & n frames are the same.:choppersm

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Madmatt has good info there. To fit the mufflers make sure you expand hte openign so they slide over the pipes. They are very tight if you don't do this. Also, the Pipes ar ehte same for all the different models of 1800 but the muffler mounting bracket is different.
Mscales, It should be good info, I copied directly from the directions you sent me, doesn't it look like your handiwork?:)

·
Registered
73 Posts
sideburners

Okay, they are on, man do you have to open the muffler flanges up and a little dawn helps. Oh yea and a bigger hammer....man do they sound good!!!!!!Thanks for all the input...

·
Registered
73 Posts
skull air cleaner cover

Hey SDA, where did you get the breather cover? thats cool. My wife is in to flames and skulls on her bikes. Shes pouting now cause the new vtx is just plain black cherry 1800n sp2. Although we already changed out the shocks to 812 progressive flame covered shocks that lowered it about 3 inches and then installed the HK sideburner today...I am jealous...it sounds so good. If you wouldn't mind letting me know the site you found it on(breather), I would appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
Mscales, It should be good info, I copied directly from the directions you sent me, doesn't it look like your handiwork?:)
Yes, but no need to cover it twice.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Hey SDA, where did you get the breather cover? thats cool. My wife is in to flames and skulls on her bikes. Shes pouting now cause the new vtx is just plain black cherry 1800n sp2. Although we already changed out the shocks to 812 progressive flame covered shocks that lowered it about 3 inches and then installed the HK sideburner today...I am jealous...it sounds so good. If you wouldn't mind letting me know the site you found it on(breather), I would appreciate it. Thanks.
big oz found it on ebay about 2 years ago , have not seen them
agin.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts