Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for anu advice. 1) I've already checked the fuses and they look fine.
After not being on a charger for a coupleof months, rode bike into local town, maybe 6 miles. On stopping I flip off the red power switch to shut off bike but it keeps turning over but at a much reduced rpm, like it was straining to stay alive. Turned key off. No change. Engine finally stopped after a minute or more. Will not start. Lights come on like normal. Push starter button and "nuttin' honey". Thanks for any ideas I can try. Tim

·
Super Moderator
10,019 Posts
It sounds like you have at least two problems. First, the contacts in your starter solenoid have welded into the on position. That is why the bike tries to turn over even with the switches in the off position. You can try tapping on the solenoid with a wood dowel or the blunt end of a screwdriver to try to break the welded contacts free. Your second problem is that with the bike off, the running of the starter motor has worn the battery down to the point where it will power a few lights but will not turn the bike over. A welded solenoid often is caused by a weak battery. You should remove the battery from the bike, fully charge it, and then take it to a chain autoparts store to do a full 100 amp load test on it. If it checks out okay, then reinstall and if the starter tries to turn the engine over even with the switches off, quickly disconnect the battery and beat on the solenoid again. If this does not fix the solenoid, you will have to replace the solenoid.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like you have at least two problems. First, the contacts in your starter solenoid have welded into the on position. That is why the bike tries to turn over even with the switches in the off position. You can try tapping on the solenoid with a wood dowel or the blunt end of a screwdriver to try to break the welded contacts free. Your second problem is that with the bike off, the running of the starter motor has worn the battery down to the point where it will power a few lights but will not turn the bike over. A welded solenoid often is caused by a weak battery. You should remove the battery from the bike, fully charge it, and then take it to a chain autoparts store to do a full 100 amp load test on it. If it checks out okay, then reinstall and if the starter tries to turn the engine over even with the switches off, quickly disconnect the battery and beat on the solenoid again. If this does not fix the solenoid, you will have to replace the solenoid.
Man, thanks a lot. I will do this. Could I take the solenoid apart easily to free those welds myself? It would have to be pretty damned easy for me to try that. Not overly mechanical...

·
Super Moderator
10,019 Posts
I am not sure. I have never heard of someone taking the solenoid apart but it might be possible. They are cheap so most people just replace them.

Reactions: PaXman11

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Most solenoid’s are riveted and not serviceable. Charge up your battery and try cleaning the starter switch (red button and starter switch) then tap on the solenoid and try to start it. If you do replace the solenoid get a Honda replacement instead of trying to go cheap. Some parts are worth the extra money.

·
Registered
16,516 Posts
When taking the starter switch apart to clean, there is a little bb-like ball and spring in there. Put a quart size or bigger baggie over it to catch the parts that will want to hit the floor and disappear. They have a habit of doing that. A sheet on the floor would make it easier to spot them too. There are video's and files showing how-to clean and lube this switch. Should be done every few years. 1800's are really finnicky about not having fully charged electrical and electronics. Invest in a Battery Tender Jr. or Plus model. When not riding, get in the habit of keeping it plugged in. The PO of my bike and I, got almost 13 years out of a stock battery that in its life probably sat more than it was ever ridden. Gotta keep a healthy fully functioning battery!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I am ready for more advice! Bike still not making a peep when I press starter button.
1)I have replaced the battery and the starter relay/solenoid. Somewhere along that line the F1 light stopped going on momentarily when I turned fhe ignotion switch on. It is now dark. It used to come on when I flipped the red emergency kill switch if I had the ignition turned on. Now, not lighting at all.
2) Took off the bottom half of the right side handlebar switches and cleaned all contacts. Did not take off the top half as I am just not that good at this stuff and am afraid of screwing up the throttle cables. Still "nuttin honey" when I turn it on and press the starter.

Appreciate all guidance.
Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts