Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
FREEBIRD
7,599 Posts
Negative, or more correctly, not ENTIRELY true. It's a little known fact that this "anomaly" was actually caused by NASA. As a means of supplying their crews of vast amounts of water during their space flights, at a much lighter weight, their scientists devised a way to DE-hydrate their water! Apparently, it took many millions of gallons of water to make a tiny amount of dehydrated water. Pretty scary when you think about it. If anyone cares about the future of our water supply, I suggest you call your local politician and voice your concerns. There's only so much water to go around!:)

·
777 SLIGHTLY MORE EVIL
1,138 Posts
Negative, or more correctly, not ENTIRELY true. It's a little known fact that this "anomaly" was actually caused by NASA. As a means of supplying their crews of vast amounts of water during their space flights, at a much lighter weight, their scientists devised a way to DE-hydrate their water! Apparently, it took many millions of gallons of water to make a tiny amount of dehydrated water. Pretty scary when you think about it. If anyone cares about the future of our water supply, I suggest you call your local politician and voice your concerns. There's only so much water to go around!:)
I beg to differ, When you dehydrate food you are taking the water out of it.If you dehydrate water you end up with nada!Thats called evaporation.

·
WTF, Over!
8,338 Posts

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You and Spoiler are brothers are'nt you!

·
Erect Member
11,583 Posts
im glad soiler is being "pawned off" as related to someone else for a bit...:coffee:

and wigit...you are quite right. you just erroneously omitted the part about how they got the dehydrated water to the astronauts without weighing the rockets down. they found if they heated the water to precisely 212 degrees fahrenheit at one atmosphere of pressure in an open container while outside, the resulting dehydrated water was transferred to the upper range of the earths atmosphere automatically...where the astronauts were able to pick it up on their way through (since everything becomes lighter in the upper atmosphere, it was easier and used less fuel to carry lighter weight from the ground)

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
that is cool, but every documentary i've ever watched on Niagra has never mentioned any dry period of the falls or mist free day even during the building of the viewing areas that surround the falls....

as for dehydrated water, i thought as it boiled it would become steam in the air before it evaporated and if i was captured before evaporating, it would still be water just a less amount.....learn something new about water every day i suppose.....

·
'Chappy'
691 Posts
, the resulting dehydrated water was transferred to the upper range of the earths atmosphere automatically...where the astronauts were able to pick it up on their way through (since everything becomes lighter in the upper atmosphere, it was easier and used less fuel to carry lighter weight from the ground)
so that is why there is so much more cloud cover and global warming these days. all the water vapor is being pumped up into the atmosphere so the astronauts can pick it up on their way out. excellent. :patriot:

either that or they ISS is able to siphon from the cloud cover as needed without coming all the way into the earth's atmosphere. :icon_susp

Maybe they started this with the MIR and figured it worked well enough to continue. :confused:

now if this is causing the global warming, explain to me why we hit all time record lows here in NC this week.:banghead:

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
if this is causing the global warming, explain to me why we hit all time record lows here in NC this week.:banghead:
and south carolina as well.....:icon_susp
then again, i'm always...:icon_suspof the Al Gore types and singers who cruise around the world on their private jets singing and politicing for global efforts to reduce global warming, yet continuing to burn the fuel and increase what they are preaching to reduce....

·
Super Moderator
9,937 Posts
Remember that Niagara Falls has TWO portions - the American side and the Canadian side. The latter is called the Horseshoe Falls portion, I think. Goat Island splits the Niagara river into the two parts which form the two falls. What happened in 1969, I'm pretty sure, is that the flow of water to the American falls was diverted to the Canadian portion using a coffer dam at the upriver end of Goat Island. This allowed repairs to the American falls. After the repairs were finished the coffer dam was removed and the American portion of the falls was back in action. You can see the mist from the Horseshoe Falls in the background of some of the pictures that were linked to in the original post.

p.s. Heavy water exists but not light water :)

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
When in my youth, we came back from a couple of months in Florida (saw the launch in July of Apollo 11) and we crossed back into Canada at the Falls. I still have old black and white photos that my parents took of the 'American Side' dry. There was a scaffold that tourist could go out on to look at it but my Mother would have nothing to do with it as she hated anything that looked unstable. Instead, we crossed back into Canada, parked on the side of the road (which you have not been able to do for years) and they took pictures of it from there.

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
:coffee: I think everyone is missing the true crisis of this story...

...that of the GoOverTheFallsInABarrelers. :rolleyes:

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,396 Posts
From June to November 1969 the American Falls were dewatered. This action cut back the normal flow of 60,000 gallons a second to almost nothing. Most of the diverted water was either sent over the Horseshoe Falls or diverted to the Robert Moses generating plant's upriver intakes. The action enabled Canadian and US power companies and the US Army Corps of Engineers to do on-the-spot inspections and aerial photographs of the river bed's rock formation. This was all part of a plan to reduce erosion to the Falls.

http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/12/16/5661928-niagara-falls-without-water-as-seen-in-1969

http://www.niagara-falls-tours.biz/chariots-of-fire-is-falling-for-toronto-to-niagara/hey-who-turned-off-the-water-

·
Erect Member
11,583 Posts
...now if this is causing the global warming, explain to me why we hit all time record lows here in NC this week.:banghead:
and south carolina as well...
you guys must be living under one of the areas where the astronauts are taking their water from. see, when they "harvest" their water from the upper atmosphere, it removes the moisture...and without that moisture to absorb the suns rays and insulate your region, it gets colder. they are supposed to move to a more plentiful area to get their water when that happens. probably just a few lazy astronauts that dont want to move. you may need to write your congressmen and request that those astronauts be forced to move...or just have their water "rationed". it is very possible that they are simply drinking too much water and causing a "cold crisis".

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
you guys must be living under one of the areas where the astronauts are taking their water from. see, when they "harvest" their water from the upper atmosphere, it removes the moisture...and without that moisture to absorb the suns rays and insulate your region, it gets colder. they are supposed to move to a more plentiful area to get their water when that happens. probably just a few lazy astronauts that dont want to move. you may need to write your congressmen and request that those astronauts be forced to move...or just have their water "rationed". it is very possible that they are simply drinking too much water and causing a "cold crisis".
huh.....i always thought if the sun wasn't blocked it got hotter and if the sun was blocked it got cooler...something along the lines of when the volcanos erupted before the Ice Age and Mini Ice Age that followed a few thousand years later started because of the large and multiple eruptions and the blocking of the sun...according to what i've been reading, the colder temps this year are of the same result of the current volcanic eruptions and sending of the suns rays back into space and temporarily blocking them from the earth....i'm no expert just like to read...:D

as for the others with the pictures and proof, thanks for the info, cause as i stated every damn documentary i've watched has failed to mention it every going dry.....thanks again...:cheers:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts