Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my shield off the other day for a photo shoot and noticed the fork leaking while wiping the bike down. I planned on putting the shield back on today before my ride to the bike shop for fork fix, but ran out of time. I had a 21" Memphis fats installed as part of my purchase when I bought it new so I've never experience the raw VTX wind. HOLY CRAP. It felt like I had more power. No it was not the fact that the wind was pushing on me, but the fact as I was pushing less wind, or maybe it was the fact I jumped off my wife's 37 HP V-Star 650 with a 19" shield onto my 97HP VTX. Yeah that must have been it.

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
Known that feeling... I like the wind in my face but not pressing on my chest at highway speeds... I went for a sport shield, a deflector. Takes all that pressure off your chest but keeps the wind in your face... even when I take it off the difference is night and day. Happy riding :)

Mort

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just put on a Memphis shades batwing a week or so ago and although I love it, miss the wind in my face. I'm actually thinking of taking it off and going with some 16 or 18 inch apes. Then again I've changed my plans for my bike twice this week already. Hahaha.

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
Throw it in the garbage and enjoy the wind :choppersm
I spotted your deflector once or twice... don't fib now ;)

Mort:stirpot:

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
I wonder if the windshield will slow you down. I think there is less drag with my windshield installed. I've tried to check using MPG, but they almost run identical with or without so whatever is very minute. Wishing all a nice day.

·
F rider
720 Posts
Does anyone else feel like your bike handles better without the shield? Seemed that way to me on my old shadow and on the VTX

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
It does handle better without a shield...but here in the northeast they are a godsend...I have it all...a full fairing a 2-Up windshield a deflector shield and nothing at all...and I go between them all very often depending on the weather and the ride...but nothing handles better than a naked bike in the wind...your not pushing as much air...picture it like this....put a piece of plywood in front of you and imagine holding into a 70 mph wind...no shields are curved enough or pitched enough to wreak the benifits of a dynamic air flow...they just keep the wind away from the rider...but the handling really suffers...

Joe
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
I dumped my MS FATS soon after I bought my X. IT was like pushing a door thru the wind. I went to a MS Hell Cat and love it. No need for lowers and much more adjustible and a real pleasure to ride. ALso, it is hardly as noticeable as that FATs was. My mileage also went UP from 38 to 42 mpg and passing semis on the freeway was much easier at 70+ mph. Look at the pics below and you can hardly tell there is a windshield on the bike.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm a pretty broadly built guy, so I actually think I have an easier time on the highway with a windshield because it is more aerodynamic and slices through the wind better than I do lol. I tend to catch all the wind and really slow myself down.

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
.no shields are curved enough or pitched enough to wreak the benifits of a dynamic air flow...they just keep the wind away from the rider...but the handling really suffers...

Joe
Posted via Mobile Device
I was going to say... perhaps with our shields and our bikes it's not beneficial... but I mean, take the fairing on a sports bike for instance... those do improve its ability to cut through the wind... like wearing a 3/4 helmet vs a full face... I can 'easily' feel the difference, the wind hardly tugs my head in the full face... the 3/4 wants to rip my neck off...

Mort

·
Registered
401 Posts
I take my fairing off for short rides but on longer rides I'm not a fan of the amount of insect protein I seem to digest w/o it. Not to mention the 3 birds I've hit with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Installed a MS batwing a week ago, it will only be on the bike as long as the weather is cold. It definitely keeps me warmer but I do not like the way the bike handles now. There is a slight buffeting in the steering system once I get it over 50 and besides that, the bike just looks better without it. :choppersm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts