Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. New to the VTX1300 forum. I recent picked up a 2003 VTX1300 1300. New to motorcycle but have a decent automotive background. One thing I noticed is that the bike is running with 2 rear tires/rims, they are both 170/80/15. I don’t mind the look.. looks beefy.. but wanted to ask if people have seen this done.. pros/cons? So there is a spoked rim on the rear and a alloy one up from. Thinking about switching that.
Opinions and comments welcomed.

·
Registered
16,051 Posts
Maybe the front spoke rim was damaged, and replaced. Spoke rims are more prone to not sealing right. If you go to a spoke front rim you should use a tube, or you need to read on sealing spokes before mounting. If you are going with a mag like on the front now, no problems should await.

·
Super Moderator
9,683 Posts
Running a rear tire on the front rim of a bike is something I've heard of but usually combined with a car tire on the rear rim. When a rear tire is put on the front rim, I believe the rotation direction is reversed so that it is running in the wrong direction. However, others with more knowledge on this than I have, please correct or affirm my statement. I believe this is done because the front wheel is not driven by the engine but, rather, does most of the braking so having the rotation arrow go the other way is allegedly proper.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah rotation direction on the front is opposite from the rear. It should have little a arrow on the side that shows front mount and rear mount

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,210 Posts
What does front look like? A popular thing in past was putting a C model rim on R/S/T models to nicely fill the fender.

Possibly prior owner wanted to get away from spokes but only bought the one rim to start.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts