Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
FREEBIRD
7,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am interested in putting a 200 MC tire on my 08 1300c, and have read many threads on the topic. My concern is that the wider tire might look a bit like a giant clown's balloon wrapped around my stock rim. I don't want to purchase a larger rim at this point, and The Darkside just isn't for me. (although the cookies are tempting!) What I would like to request is for anyone running a 200 on the same rim, to please post pics.
Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I put a Metzler 880 200 on the back of my ride last spring. The tire has a wide face but it goes up higher on the sidewall. You cant physically use the tread patch up that high without draging pegs severly. I dont personally think I will put another one her when this one is toast. It doesn't look funky on the back in my opinion anyway.:choppersm Ride on!

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
In all honesty, you're not gaining much as far as expense goes, a 180 looks like a perfect fit on a stock 1300 rim. JMHO

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Depending on which tire brand you go with there can be less tread depth with a 200 than a 180, also sometimes softer compounds on the bigger tires, so if tire life is a factor stick with the 180.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Its pretty much going to squash the tire in, you might try 190? I would just look for a cheap 1800 rim and then sell yours. Look around for a good deal and you can probably find one with a tire.

·
WildBikers.com Owner
2,340 Posts
I have seen several Really good Deals on a 1800C Rear Wheel lately (less than $200)- Well below what they typically go for - I would IMHO wait to get one and then it is only a 20 Minute Job to change it out!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Regardless of how this tire may look on a rim and whatnot, I would still go for it. I would in fact be right in front of the line if this size came in a WWW. But, since it doesnt, and I am gung ho on going with WWW's next summer, I wont be going with a 200.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I had a 200 Metzler on my bike and didn't really notice any difference. The size difference was barely noticable to me. Ended up having to replace it because of a gash and I didn't even think about going back to the stock size when buying the new tire.

·
Registered
989 Posts
But, it gives that bulldog look and some people like that...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Did you have a 1800 rim or still the stock 1300 rim? If you dont get a wider rim it just pulls the tire in and it looks the same.
Didn't change the rim just had the 200 put on. Some guys swear it makes all the difference looks wise, it was no different to me. I guess the bottom line is if you want a 200 change to an 1800 rim.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Yeah for sure and then either modify the rotor (Stump sells them), or change to 1800 caliper and bracket as well. known as slapjack or foots mod

1 - 13 of 13 Posts