Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Honda VTX1800R, purple in color, all stock with 724 miles. (724 actual). The bike sat for the last 5 years, since my grandpa let it sit after buying a new motorcycle every couple years. (had 6 of them, now became mine) I just cleaned out the gas tank, and also had to replace the fuel pump which was completely dead. Now, the bike runs great, is there anything I should be concerned about doing as preventative maintenance? I've changed the oil with Amsoil and filter, coolant flushed. For some reason the rear brake has hardly any pressure. Is it possible it just needs to be bled, from sitting? Lastly, what do you guys think a bike with such low miles like the one I have is worth? Thanks, Chris.

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe from the High Plains of Texas ...

I know it is worth keeping for sure. Be thankful for your windfall. Ride and enjoy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, yeah with that little of miles it's just like riding a new bike. This and the 04 Valkyrie Rune are for sure keepers out of the bunch I was left. I love the feel of the bike.

·
Registered
757 Posts
idk, but bleeding it would be a good start.

you should check the tires for dry rot, as well as any other rubber on the bike.

worth? idk about that either, but i'd look at ebay and craigslist to see what the average asking price is.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Flush out the brake fluid and clutch fluid. If you do it yourself be very careful not to spill any on the paint or other areas of the bike. Wrap some thick old towels around the handlebars and turn the handlebars so the respective resevoirs are level as you do each one. A fluid evacuator works well for sucking all the old fluid out of the resevoir before adding the new fluid and flushing the lines and calipers/slave cyl. by bleeding. Use a good DOT 4 Fluid- don't use dot 3. oh yeah, when you have sucked the resevoirs empty- wipe out any gunk or residue with a rag so you don't get it down into the rest of the hydraulic system.
Keep a close eye on the tires/ air pressure. As others said- those tires are almost 10 years old and may be needing replacing.

Good Luck with the bike and ride safe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I bled the brakes, flushed the coolant, did an oil change, replaced air filter, and checked rubber on bike. Everything seems to be in pretty good shape. Now I think it's time to hopefully get out riding the big beast. The heal-toe shifter is going to get some getting used to, but it does shift nice. Thanks for all the advice and help guys!

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Welcome from Idaho...

While it is great to have both a VTX 1800 and a Rune, sorry to hear about your grandpa...sounds like he had a real love for bikes...

I, too, would not think of selling them...enjoy the rides and put your grandpa's love for bikes in the wind....:choppersm

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, headcase. He loved his motorcycles. We always said he had this way of thinking the man with the most in the end wins,haha. Well, lets just say he had nicer bikes than most, but worked very hard for what he had. I'm going to live it up and enjoy what I have been left to me. Thanks.

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,394 Posts
Welcome to The Cafe from sunny Shelby, NC (The Livermush Capital of the World)

-Ride Safe

Spoiler

:patriot:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts