Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...
I have a 2002 VTX 1800 with 34,000 miles that idles okay but when giving it throttle it cuts and sputters.
My son put aftermarket pipes (not slip ons) and air intake box. He added an FI2000 auto tuner. It ran fine for a few months and he took several trips on it.
Eventually when giving it throttle it would rev and then backfire. I took it to a few garage mechanics who couldn't determine issue. He put back on the original
air intake, but unfortunately the stock pipes were not saved. He suggested a Honda dealer with computer to check ECM...went to local Dutchess Recreational Vehicals (suck)
but they would not look at it because it was "too old". Have been reading this forum for a bit and we tried some of the fixes for known VTX 1800 issues, but have not
stumbled across the right one yet. Last forum entry I saw suggested disconnecting the FI2000 and let the ECM relearn...did that today and still do not get smooth throttle although appears to have less back-firing.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
17,587 Posts
Has the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) -EVER- been changed that you know of? These go bad from age and the diaphragm cracking, not because of use, overuse, or abuse. Check your dipstick for over-fill oil level, or the really strong smell of fuel that is getting into the crankcase. $40-$45 and about an hr.'s worth of time will take care of that, and if it doesn't help your problem, at least you will have eliminated one of the MAJOR early 1800 issues.

Reactions: Mr. Incredible

·
Registered
38 Posts
I will add something to PaXman11's post.

check all the connections on that F12000 controller, or remove it completely it really isn't needed with these bikes, the oem ECU can adjust timing as needed for the airbox and pipes. I have had bubs chambermaids and a custom airbox on mine for years, I was running a PCIII initially and had nothing but issues, took it off and the bike runs just fine and I get 35+ mpg.

if vampire clips were used on the connections that could very well be part of your issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response(s)...I was told the FPR was replaced but I can not verify. It does sound like the symptoms...I'll replace to be sure and change out oil. Will let you know.
I did disconnect the FI2000 and still runs rough.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the response(s)...I was told the FPR was replaced but I can not verify. It does sound like the symptoms...I'll replace to be sure and change out oil. Will let you know.
I did disconnect the FI2000 and still runs rough.
check those connections. if you removed the FI2000 and you had vampire clips, you could have an exposed wire that is grounding out somehow.

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,659 Posts
I will add something to PaXman11's post.

check all the connections on that F12000 controller, or remove it completely it really isn't needed with these bikes, the oem ECU can adjust timing as needed for the airbox and pipes. I have had bubs chambermaids and a custom airbox on mine for years, I was running a PCIII initially and had nothing but issues, took it off and the bike runs just fine and I get 35+ mpg.

if vampire clips were used on the connections that could very well be part of your issue.
These bikes are inherently lean from the factory and adding more fuel helps tremendously. I went with the Cobra PowerPro Black and what a world of difference. Surging eliminated and more power. Much more power. Can get 'decent' fuel economy if I don't nail it too much but ooooops I did it again....haha. I can adjust the mixture on the fly and that is nice.

Reactions: PaXman11

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input...this FI2000 was plug inline...no vampire clips. Hopefully if the FPR is the issue I can add the tuner back in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine has aftermarket pipes, and when I put an aftermarket air filter it started to die on idle after a few miles. I went back to factory air filter and bum, problem solved.

·
Registered
2001 vt1100 areo. Plus a 2012 xlc 1200
34 Posts
I think your ride is fuel injected. So add some injector cleaner to your gas. Like stp. I use it all the time ! Good in my honda an my Harley!!! Plus set of new plugs an 91 octane an check or replace gas filter .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the input...this FI2000 was plug inline...no vampire clips. Hopefully if the FPR is the issue I can add the tuner back in.
You should upgrade to the cobra CVT BLACK it’s a better auto tune works with all smart phones but check your plugs and you should also block off and remove the cold air I take system they make block off plates for the top of the heads

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have the same bike, follow the spark plug wire to the electrical module under the tank (can't remember the name) there's one for each cylinder, take the wire out and snip off small piece of the end and replace it back in. you're going to have to remove the tank to do this.
PS if you have a pcm-3 get rid of it and your pipes have nothing to do with this

·
Registered
17,587 Posts
I think your ride is fuel injected. So add some injector cleaner to your gas. Like stp. I use it all the time ! Good in my honda an my Harley!!! Plus set of new plugs an 91 octane an check or replace gas filter .
Stock NGK plugs on an 1800 are good for 100,000 mi. Many. MANY of us 1800 owners periodically run a can of Seafoam through our rides. DO NOT SPRAY anything into the intake! It can do damage in there. The only 91 octane you should be using should be UN-ethanol fuel. The VTX, 1300 and 1800, were designed from the factory to run on US 87 octane w/ 10% ethanol.

·
Super Moderator
11,360 Posts
I agree with PaXman11 about the fuel octane. Running higher than standard 87 octane is unnecessary and gains you nothing. Use of ethanol free fuel is a waste of money except for long-term storage. For long term storage like for the ~6 months of winter in cold climates, ethanol free gas is a good choice, coupled with a fuel stabilizer like Stabil or Seafoam to help minimize sludge or varnish formation.

Reactions: PaXman11
1 - 13 of 13 Posts