Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2002 VTX 1800r, it sat outside for about a month with a dead battery, and it rained a little. I replaced the battery and fired it up, everything was good while on the kickstand, but as soon as I stood it up, it started to gush white smoke and fuel from the tail pipe. I assumed it was a bad spark, and replaced the spark plugs, same problem. Obviously a cylinder is not firing, but what is the shortest/cheapest route to potential repair?

Anyone have this happen to them?

Thanks,

Bill

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Sounds like the fuel pressure regulator went to hell...Pull the dipstick for the oil and see if it smells like gas too....

·
Registered
663 Posts
White smoke out the tailpipe is from water in the combustion chamber(s). If you had excess unburned fuel coming out the pipe(s) the smoke would be black. Since the bike sat out in the rain for so long, sounds like the engine is sucking in water from somewhere, perhaps the air filter. If you have the stock paper filter, and it's wet, it's ruined. Take the airbox cover off and check it. Just let the bike run and warm up. Eventually the water will evaporate. If the smoking doesn't eventually stop, check the coolant level. If the coolant level is way low, you might have one or two blown head gaskets.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Pull plugs and check for spark. Possible ground issue on one or both coil packs.
Also as Steve said you're air filter may be water logged. Pull and inspect it.

Good luck.

Move that thing indoors or at least throw a cover over it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts