Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Left the key on for an hour and a half. The lights were dim but still would come on. Tried to start it, and it would barely crank, but it WOULD CRANK.
Tried a push start and it wouldn't go.
Tried a jump, and nothing. No clicking, nothing.
Pulled the battery and fully charged it. Still nothing.
Took the battery to have it tested, and it is very strong still.
Cleaned up all the grounds, and still nothing.
Tried to jump the bike by hooking jumper cables to a running car, and directly to the battery cables, with the battery removed. Nothing. No clicking, nothing.

I'm thinking it may be a faulty kickstand safety switch. Anyone else have any issues with this? When I turn the key on, I get lights, and the FI dumps some fuel in the cylinders. I hit the starter and the headlight goes out and NO SOUND at all. I release the button, and the headlight comes on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it to fire up by jumping the starter motor relay. I'm thinking neutral safety switch/kickstand switch is stuck. Ideas?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, not the kickstand switch. I got it fired up again (mainly because I forgot to check the safety switch the first time), and the kickstand safety switch is functioning as it should. So, on to the starter button. If that isn't it, then I'll replace the relay... Any other ideas? Anyone??

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I'm not sure why others has not chimed in that have some background better than mine but, clean your stater switch. The contacts get dirty and the bike will not turn over. Trying push start with that 1800 is getting almost impossible. Donut may have a solution or LazyDawg. Send them a pm and hopefully one or both will have a solution. I have the same bike and the person I got it from replaced the relay as you think it could be and the 2002 1800 did have a problem there....

·
Registered
399 Posts
Have you checked the starter relay itself? Sometimes trying to star with low voltage can fry the relay.

Sent from the dark side of the moon using my iPad

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cleaned the starter button and nothing. Ordered a new starter relay today. Noticed the old one was very corroded once I took it off. We'll see if that does the trick.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Thanks for your updating. I learn a lot from others experiences.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Glad you got it figured out. Just fixed my neighbor's bike with a similar symptom; however, his headlight would not turn on with the key so it was a dead give-away that it was the starter switch. The headlight turns off when you push in the starter switch and then kicks on when you release. Pulled his starter switch and the headlight came on with the key, jumped the contacts and she fired up. It made me go home and clean and grease my starter switch.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
I lost a starter relay twice, both times after trying to recover from a dead battery. I suspect jumping the bike with my big a$$ SUV battery caused it. That genuine Honda solenoid is pretty sensitive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just got my bike running..it would turn over but not fire..I put new battery I jumped it with truck...I changed the gas out...I found another set of fuses on left side of bike(seated) there 30 ampers 3 in a row....found one bad fuse and bike fired right up...hope this helps...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts