Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2003 1300s/r and got a deal on some roadhouse classics and some 4" slip ons that are for 2008 trough 2010 1300r. I was wondering if anyone knows what the difference is between the 2003 and 2008 exhausts. I know muffler are tappered on 2008 but was wondering if exhaust mounting bracket was different and/or were the mounting holes on frame changed? Just trying to figure out if I need 2008 bracket to mount either of these systems. Thanks for any help on this. Pete

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot 09 was the last year. Anyway I basically need to know the difference an 07 and an 08 1300r when it comes to mounting bracket for exhaust. I'm thinking all I need is a 08 bracket to mount either roadhouse exhaust.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I saw that after I posted too. Now I am just wondering if 2008 bracket is direct fit for mine or was the mount to frame for bracket changed too. Anyone have a 2008 or 09 bracket they want to sell? Thanks for help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How was this bracket issue resolved? I am interested because I have a similar situation. I just purchased an '04 1300R and want to change the exhaust back to stock. I have located a complete exhaust from an '08 1300R but dont know if it is compatible with my '04. (I know the exhausts were redesigned in 2008). Do I need additional brackets etc?
Shaun. Ottawa, Ont.

·
Registered
'06 VTX 1300 C and R
6,637 Posts
Honda Motorcycle 2008 OEM Parts Diagram for Exhaust Muffler | Partzilla.com
The frame mounting bracket for 08/09 is shorter than the previous ones for R/S/T models. But it will bolt on to your R just like what you have. Went thru this myself when I used an 08-R set of oem exhaust for my 06 vtx 1300 c/r late last year. Had to order a new one from Partzilla: $170 right now. The newer stock mufflers are smaller and shaped different. I feel like they look much better. Less weight on that side of the bike too. Got lucky and got a set from a friend in NC -- Ray (y)
I went ahead and got the new rubber bushings, bolts, nuts for the new bracket. The don't come with the new bracket, even at that price :mad:
Got new exhaust gaskets at the same time.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
625 Posts
I have a 2009 R model. I got a Roadhouse Classic 2:1 that was designed for pre 2008 R/S/T models. I ended up ordering the 2007 and earlier brackets and new hardware. It was an easy bolt on.

Reactions: sumdatx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sumdatx: In addition to new exhaust gaskets, is there any need to change the 1) Joint and 2) pipe cover/holder - the parts that secure the exhaust to the head.

·
Registered
'06 VTX 1300 C and R
6,637 Posts
You have a couple of "donut" gaskets where the mufflers meet the head pipes -- I replaced mine. I used new acorn nuts and stainless lock washers to fasten to the head (and new gaskets there). You should be good to go since you're going R model to R model.
Since mine is a C model, I have a different foot brake. I ended up having to use the original C front header pipe and chrome shield to clear the foot brake. Rest went together perfectly ... looks great and sounds pretty good too. My hearing is a little screwed up so I needed quieter pipes. The 08/09 oem R/S/T pipes are much nicer than previous years IMHO, eh.
(y)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts