Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding fine. Stopped. Get back on to go again but the DANG thing won't turn over. I checked the fuses, battery is fully charged, I checked the 9 pin harness in headlight housing and it shows hot. I checked the solenoid and it seems fine and now I'm lost. ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

· Deplorable member
7,424 Posts
With the key on, does the headlight go out when you hit the starter button. They have been known to "melt' a little but are an e-z fix. Is it in neutral?

· Registered
8,534 Posts
15 years and people still do not know about the starter switch needing cleaned.. every 2 years.

http://www.rattlebars.com/mtz/starter.html

follow the link.. 1/2 page down...
I know of this problem in 2004.. one year before I bought a new VTX.... just like flange bearing going bad..

ALSO.. use a wrench on the battery bolts. never a screwdriver.... as the VTX will loosen them and kill a battery.

· Deplorable member
7,424 Posts
15 years and people still do not know about the starter switch needing cleaned.. every 2 years.

http://www.rattlebars.com/mtz/starter.html

follow the link.. 1/2 page down...
I know of this problem in 2004.. one year before I bought a new VTX.... just like flange bearing going bad..

ALSO.. use a wrench on the battery bolts. never a screwdriver.... as the VTX will loosen them and kill a battery.
What's a flange bearing?:shrug::icon_mrgr

· Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
8,396 Posts
What's a flange bearing?:shrug::icon_mrgr
The bearing inside the drive splines on wheel.
Supposedly was machined wrong or something some go bad.

· Deplorable member
7,424 Posts
Actually, I know what a flange bearing is. The emoji's were meant to denote sarcasm but it was an obvious fail.

· Registered
18,784 Posts
How did you check the battery, for 12 Volts? It can show correct volts, but have a weak cell or 2 and not have enough KICK, or amps, to turn it over. Take the fully charged battery to somewhere like Napa, Advanced Auto, Auto Zone, or ?? and have it 100 AMP load tested.

Reactions: RJ64

· The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,765 Posts
How did you check the battery, for 12 Volts? It can show correct volts, but have a weak cell or 2 and not have enough KICK, or amps, to turn it over. Take the fully charged battery to somewhere like Napa, Advanced Auto, Auto Zone, or ?? and have it 100 AMP load tested.
What he said. Had that problem before and it's no fun.

Sent From "The Phone"

· Deplorable member
7,424 Posts
Reactions: PaXman11

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm still at a loss. I've done the starter switch clean. I've changed the spark plugs. New battery. I've checked the selanoid and starter but I cannot figure this out. Could it be fuel? It sounds very strong trying to start but its almost like the fuel is not flowing. I smell fuel with the plugs out but it won't start. Any suggestions? This is very frustrating. Please help.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

· Too short for my weight
5,724 Posts
Have you checked for spark on the plugs? Have you checked the spark plug wires?

· Deplorable member
7,424 Posts
:glee:Glad to hear it. Sometimes it's the simple things. Now.......time to ride it!:choppersm

1 - 20 of 42 Posts