Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished changing out my clutch with a Barnett kit, springs included. My old springs were worn and right at the limit. I also changed out my clutch handle /master cylinder. It was leaking and the new hardware didn't fix it so I changed the whole thing out. When bleeding it I noticed the slave cylinder leaking and again new seals didn't do the trick so replaced the whole thing. I blead the system and it took some effort but it is working fine.It got about 103,000 mile on it so no complaints on needing new parts. So here is my issue. Took it out for a spin and noticed that it seem to be slipping. When you are moving along and increase the throttle it seem like it wants to find another gear. It doesn't do it if you gradually advancing the throttle like a going for a stroll. Clutch seems fine shifting. Any clue as where to start.

·
Super Moderator
11,481 Posts
Can you tell us more about what you describe as, "it seem like it wants to find another gear." A good test to determine if the clutch is slipping is to get the bike up to about 40 mph on a flat straight uncrowded road, shift into 4th gear (admittedly a little low speed for that gear normally), and give it a hard twist of the throttle and hold the throttle wide open. If the engine rpms rise proportionally to the bike speed, the clutch is not slipping. If the rpms rise excessively compared to the bike speed, then the clutch is slipping. This is hard to determine without a tach so it is best done by listening to the engine rpms as you conduct this test.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well,It seems that I indeed forgot to turn the last disk one tooth. The plates were somewhat trashed so I but the old one back in and did it correctly this time. I haven't tanken it out yet for a spin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just finished changing out my clutch with a Barnett kit, springs included. My old springs were worn and right at the limit. I also changed out my clutch handle /master cylinder. It was leaking and the new hardware didn't fix it so I changed the whole thing out. When bleeding it I noticed the slave cylinder leaking and again new seals didn't do the trick so replaced the whole thing. I blead the system and it took some effort but it is working fine.It got about 103,000 mile on it so no complaints on needing new parts. So here is my issue. Took it out for a spin and noticed that it seem to be slipping. When you are moving along and increase the throttle it seem like it wants to find another gear. It doesn't do it if you gradually advancing the throttle like a going for a stroll. Clutch seems fine shifting. Any clue as where to start.
Tell me when you find out because mine does the same thing also have a little vibration in it as we're going down the road

·
Super Moderator
11,481 Posts
See post #3 in this thread for the cause of Mel73145's problem.

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,701 Posts
I have not done the Clutch yet but it's slipping in high gear giving it gas
Factory clutch springs are too weak for the torque of the 1800. When I finally did mine a couple years ago I went with the Barnett set-up and stronger springs. What a world of difference! I can pull the wheel in 1st and 2nd gear and NO slipping at all anymore. Cost $150 and a couple hours of time. Don't forget new exhaust gaskets if you need to remove your exhaust, like I did.

Reactions: PaXman11

·
Registered
73 Posts
Factory clutch springs are too weak for the torque of the 1800. When I finally did mine a couple years ago I went with the Barnett set-up and stronger springs. What a world of difference! I can pull the wheel in 1st and 2nd gear and NO slipping at all anymore. Cost $150 and a couple hours of time. Don't forget new exhaust gaskets if you need to remove your exhaust, like I did.
I'm in the same boat. Mine has the factory clutch and just over 22k. After tuning on it and getting it to put down the HP it's supposed to It began showing it's inability to hold under load. Barrett is what I'm planning and I am also going to do the clutch basket mod while I'm in there.

Reactions: RJ64
1 - 9 of 9 Posts