Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question, I'm trying to wire directly into the ignition wiring for a new set of speakers I believe there's a couple open ports that I can tap into just not sure where they're at. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have the
2003 VTX 1800s.

·
Super Moderator
10,817 Posts
I recommend not trying to tie into the ignition wiring. Instead, tie into the appropriate power wire in the headlight bucket to trigger a relay and have the power to the relay come directly from the battery or from a power block. Which wire in the headlight bucket you choose to use as a trigger depends on how you want the new speaker to function. If you want the speaker on whenever the bike is on, use the white wire with blue stripe that appear in the bucket in about 4 places.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I recommend not trying to tie into the ignition wiring. Instead, tie into the appropriate power wire in the headlight bucket to trigger a relay and have the power to the relay come directly from the battery or from a power block. Which wire in the headlight bucket you choose to use as a trigger depends on how you want the new speaker to function. If you want the speaker on whenever the bike is on, use the white wire with blue stripe that appear in the bucket in about 4 places.
I greatly appreciate it. This may be a stupid question so I would find the wire you're speaking of and tie the positive wire from the speaker amp to the blue and white wire you talked about, and then hook the other wire to ground. Or am I missing something. Greatly appreciate your time.

·
Super Moderator
10,817 Posts
What you describe would work. However, I recommend a different approach. First, decide how you want the speaker to operate. I will assume that you want it to operate whenever the key is turned on. I do not know how to achieve this but I can get you real close. How about if the speaker was powered anytime the key was turned on EXCEPT when you depress the start button? This would mean the speaker is powered exactly the same as the headlight. The headlight is powered anytime the key is turned on EXCEPT when you depress the start button.

If you wired the power wire from the speaker to the white with blue stripe, it would do exactly as described above. But I recommend the use of a relay to reduce the load going through the start button switch. To use a relay, do the following:
1) Locate the relay in a convenient location. This is usually either in the headlight bucket or under the seat.
2) Connect the main power input side of the relay directly to the battery. This may require a longer wire to reach from headlight bucket to battery.
3) Connect the main power output side of the relay to the input power wire on the speaker.
4) Connect the trigger input on the relay to the white with blue stripe wire in the headlight bucket.
5) Connect the trigger output on the relay to ground.
6) Connect the speaker ground wire to ground.

Make sure all of the wires are of suitable size to handle the load they will take. This is very low for the trigger power and trigger ground wires.

Reactions: 68valiant

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What you describe would work. However, I recommend a different approach. First, decide how you want the speaker to operate. I will assume that you want it to operate whenever the key is turned on. I do not know how to achieve this but I can get you real close. How about if the speaker was powered anytime the key was turned on EXCEPT when you depress the start button? This would mean the speaker is powered exactly the same as the headlight. The headlight is powered anytime the key is turned on EXCEPT when you depress the start button.

If you wired the power wire from the speaker to the white with blue stripe, it would do exactly as described above. But I recommend the use of a relay to reduce the load going through the start button switch. To use a relay, do the following:
1) Locate the relay in a convenient location. This is usually either in the headlight bucket or under the seat.
2) Connect the main power input side of the relay directly to the battery. This may require a longer wire to reach from headlight bucket to battery.
3) Connect the main power output side of the relay to the input power wire on the speaker.
4) Connect the trigger input on the relay to the white with blue stripe wire in the headlight bucket.

Make sure all of the wires are of suitable size to handle the load they will take. This is very low for the trigger power and trigger ground wires.
Vinish this is exactly what I'm going to do. And this is exactly how I would like the speakers to operate. Thank you my brother I greatly appreciate it. This is perfect. Thanks again for your time..

Vinish I also wanted to clarify that the Bose speakers that I purchased attach to a small amplifier. So the amplifier will need to be tied into the headlamp as you spoke of. Not the speakers directly. I just wanted to clarify that I'm hooking the amplifier to the power source that we talked about and not the speakers directly. I'm assuming it connects the same way as you described in your prior message. And then the speakers hook to the amplifier. You've been a huge help and thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,817 Posts
I have never dealt with a motorcycle amp but I would assume it has a power lead and a ground lead. These would hook up to the relay as described. How you attach the unpowered speakers to the amp is unrelated to the relay. I have dealt with a few car and bike head units. These usually have two power inputs. One is for actual operation and draws most of the power. The other is a constant on (and I mean 100% of the time) but only draws a tiny bit of power. This is used to keep the settings such as radio station presets "alive" in memory. If your unit has a low power constant on wire, this would be powered from the wire going directly to the battery so that it was always on. I do not think there are any wires in the headlight bucket that are true "always on" type.

Reactions: 68valiant
1 - 7 of 7 Posts