Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I've owned a 2006 C model for about 18 months and love it. Decided to buy another VTX. Not really sure why. Something to play around with I guess. :)

The bike only has 8,400 miles on it. Starts and runs fine. But, it has a Rinehart exhaust system on it. Other than being louder than I'd like, I get a lot of popping on decel. I don't think the carb was adjusted in step with the exhaust change. Honestly, I plan to go back to stock. Fortunately, the seller had the stock system and it looks to be in fine shape.

What is involved in switching back to stock? Is this a fairly easy job? Any write ups on it?

Also, the throttle handle sticks a bit. Doesn't return back to idle position too well on its own. How can I adjust that?

·
Super Moderator
11,884 Posts
For the sticking throttle, this sometimes is caused by the right hand switchbox being pushed too far to the left. This causes the throttle grip sleeve to bind on the handlebar end. Try loosening but not removing the two or three bolts that hold the right hand switch box together. With these loosened, wiggle the switchbox and grip a tiny bit to the right. Tighten up the bolts and see if this solves the problem. If not, you will have to dig deeper. It could be that lubrication and/or cleaning is needed under the throttle grip sleeve. It could be that cleaning of the throttle and idle cables is needed. It could be a bend that is too tight in the throttle or idle cable., It could be something in the carb sticking.

For returning the pipes to stock, you will need to make sure you have the original bracket since most aftermarket pipes use a new bracket. You will also need two new exhaust port crush gaskets. It is an easy task to perform. Just make sure to remove the current exhaust port gaskets. It may look like these are not present in the exhaust ports but they are. You may have to get creative to identify and remove them.

Once you have the stock pipes on, consider doing the following things: decap air box, install high flow K&N air filter, Pair valve mod using dimpled block-off plates, install Glen's permanent A/F screw, rejet/tune carb using ONLY a Factory Pro jet kit. Doing all of these things takes at most a day of work in the garage and about $250. The bike in stock form is runs very lean in order to pass emission requirements. Doing these things will yield a bike that runs better, starts easier when cold, has less backfiring, has less decel popping and gurgling, has better fuel mileage, and has a small bit more power. It will also make valve adjustments easier by getting rid of some junk on top of the engine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts