Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several guys on here have been a huge help in the past when I had issues with my 2004 Honda VTX so I'm back for more help. My VTX is always hard to get warmed up, especially in the cooler weather, but lately I have been having more than the normal warming up issues. Over a year ago I had the carb overhauled to fix a similar issue and that along with a plug change out got me back on the road. With the weather being less than ideal the past few months I haven't gotten it out much but will occasionally start the bike and let it run in the garage for 10 minutes or so. Yes the gas was a little old but not like a year old. The problem is that I can't get it to run without sputtering now. Even when I let it idle for 5-10 minutes and then get on the throttle it seems to rev up pretty good with no issues. But get it on the road and it starts sputtering. I have added a 1/2 can of Seafoam about a week ago and started it everyday hoping to clean the carb and get it back running good but no luck, I even added 2 gals of high octane fuel to the mix. Today I added the other 1/2 can of Seafoam and continue to run it in the garage and have even gotten it on the road to see how she runs. Well she runs like crap still. From 1st gear to 2nd and 3rd every time I give it some throttle it sputters and hesitates. I can eventually get the speed up to shift into 2nd but then the same thing. I've changed the plugs and gaped them at 0.031, as suggested on another post, but no resolution to my issue. My crankcase breather filter seems to be a little dirty, can that be the issue? Is there anything i'm missing or is it time to spend another $300 to get the carb overhauled again?

·
Deplorable member
7,409 Posts
It will run like crap with Seafoam in it. You get that junk burned out of there and then 87 oct is all you need for these bikes.

·
Super Moderator
5,464 Posts
And don't run the bike in the garage ever. A cold motor will not warm up sufficiently to do anything at idle and bathes the piston and cylinder walls with raw gas that then gets into the oil, plus that raw gas tends to foul the plugs. If you aren't going to ride it at speed long enough to get the engine to working temps, than just let it sit. Oh, and put the Seafoam in at the beginning of winter, ride it enough to get some into the carb then let it sit on a battery tender till spring when you can give it a good workout.

·
~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
11,589 Posts
Several guys on here have been a huge help in the past when I had issues with my 2004 Honda VTX so I'm back for more help. My VTX is always hard to get warmed up, especially in the cooler weather, but lately I have been having more than the normal warming up issues. Over a year ago I had the carb overhauled to fix a similar issue and that along with a plug change out got me back on the road. With the weather being less than ideal the past few months I haven't gotten it out much but will occasionally start the bike and let it run in the garage for 10 minutes or so. Yes the gas was a little old but not like a year old. The problem is that I can't get it to run without sputtering now. Even when I let it idle for 5-10 minutes and then get on the throttle it seems to rev up pretty good with no issues. But get it on the road and it starts sputtering. I have added a 1/2 can of Seafoam about a week ago and started it everyday hoping to clean the carb and get it back running good but no luck, I even added 2 gals of high octane fuel to the mix. Today I added the other 1/2 can of Seafoam and continue to run it in the garage and have even gotten it on the road to see how she runs. Well she runs like crap still. From 1st gear to 2nd and 3rd every time I give it some throttle it sputters and hesitates. I can eventually get the speed up to shift into 2nd but then the same thing. I've changed the plugs and gaped them at 0.031, as suggested on another post, but no resolution to my issue. My crankcase breather filter seems to be a little dirty, can that be the issue? Is there anything i'm missing or is it time to spend another $300 to get the carb overhauled again?
The high octane gas was not a step in the right direction (it doesn't ignite as easily as 87 octane)... also, you have a pretty strong cocktail of SeaFoam in there now. You should do your best to burn off that tank by riding (not idling). Good that you set 0.031" gaps. If the SeaFoam doesn't help, then you might have a vacuum leak that's causing your bike to sputter and stumble. The usual culprits are the vacuum hose connections (cracking rubber from age), the vacuum diaphragm (again, age-cracking) in the vacuum chamber at the top of the carb, and the tightness of the bandclamps (4 of them) on the thick rubber boots behind the carb, connecting it to the intake manifold and the intake manifold to the cylinders... see pics, below. Also, tell us about your intake, why do you have a filter on the crankcase breather tube, do you have a Kury Hypercharger? Always start out with a detailed description of your intake... it matters to the troubleshooting... replace that filter with a new one, or clean it, if it's that type...

Honda Service Manual diagram of our carb:

The intake manifold behind the carb, 4 band clamps:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just for gits and shiggles too, make sure the tank is venting properly and obstructing fuel flow. Blow through the vent tube, might help. There's a T in the vent tube Make sure u plug it before blowing through it.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, Hiramsaint, SPARKY5151, mjklaser & 1000rryoute for all the advice. I'm working nights right now but will be checking all these things out in the next few days and I will report back. mjklaser, I do not have a Kury Supercharger. I'm not the most knowledgeable motorcycle owner so when I saw this filter kinda dirty I asked my son in law, who I bought the bike from. He said it was a crankcase breather. I have included a pic of it.
Honda VTX crankcase filter.jpg

·
11,589 Posts
Thank you, Hiramsaint, SPARKY5151, mjklaser & 1000rryoute for all the advice. I'm working nights right now but will be checking all these things out in the next few days and I will report back. mjklaser, I do not have a Kury Supercharger. I'm not the most knowledgeable motorcycle owner so when I saw this filter kinda dirty I asked my son in law, who I bought the bike from. He said it was a crankcase breather. I have included a pic of it.
View attachment 183962
Hi John, you're welcome. I'm not 100% certain, but that pic of yours makes it look kind of like a K&N cleanable/re-useable air filter:

If not, just replace it - it looks clogged. If so, then use these:

To turn this:

Into this:

...only smaller... LOL :icon_chee

:patriot: :cheers:

·
There Can Only Be One
2,696 Posts
As long as you're using Seafoam correctly (1oz./gallon), the bike will run fine with it in there, IME with using it...and I've used it quite a bit over the years. Your MPG will suffer while using it, but the bike will run fine. But as mentioned earlier, always stick with 86/87 (or lowest octane you can get in your area), and definitely ride it...no idling for extended lengths.

BTW, are you in Pasa-stinkin'-dena, TX?

With the ethanol added to gas nowadays, even letting it sit for a month or so can have some impact on the jets/carb bowl bottom...the stuff will gum up and also clog jets and other small passages. If you do need to get the carb cleaned up, do it yourself and save that $300 for something else. Here's a pretty decent write-up on the carb teardown. :icon_mrgr

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/7-vtx-1300-riders-board/201519-carb-cleaning-101-a.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
And don't run the bike in the garage ever. A cold motor will not warm up sufficiently to do anything at idle and bathes the piston and cylinder walls with raw gas that then gets into the oil, plus that raw gas tends to foul the plugs. If you aren't going to ride it at speed long enough to get the engine to working temps, than just let it sit. Oh, and put the Seafoam in at the beginning of winter, ride it enough to get some into the carb then let it sit on a battery tender till spring when you can give it a good workout.
I really don't understand this

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
I really don't understand this
Simple don't start the bike unless you are going to ride.
Charging system does not put out enough at idle.
Cold engine does not burn all the fuel so it washes oil off cylinder walls.

Pretty simple instructions to follow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thx mjklaser. Yes sir I do have a K&N filter like you showed but that smaller filter that I posted a picture of, my son in law told me, is the crankcase breather filter. Is that not right? Anyway it looks dirty so I'm going to change it or clean it just in case. And I'm going to clean the big K&N air filter too.

Yes, MR VTX, I am from Pasa-stinkin-dena.....lol, but we refer to it as Pasa"get down"dena!!!BTW, thx for the carburetor link, I'm in the process of pulling the carb off now. Wish me luck!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MR VTX, or anybody who might know,

Man thx for the excellent instructions on overhauling my VTX carb. I'm not going to do the full overhaul, I'm a bit inexperienced, but your instructions are great!!! So my question is, I got the carb, not all the way off but where I can get to the jets, and when I dropped the float housing guess what I found? The damn main jet was laying in the float housing!!! So I'm thinking this may have been my problem but wanted to break down the jets anyway since I'm in there and make sure they're not plugged. Here's the real question, should the slow jet have a hole all the way through it, from top to bottom, like the needle jet holder? I can run a wire through the needle jet holder but I can't through the slow jet and I want to know if that's the way it's supposed to be or am I running into a plug on the slow jet? Thx for your help.

·
Super Moderator
10,294 Posts
Be careful about poking at jet holes with wire. The holes are small, can be delicate, and the operation of the carb/bike is VERY sensitive to small changes in the size of these holes and any damage to their lips and shape. As when poking most anything into a hole, the key is to be careful, gentle, don't do any damage, and use some lubricant. The preceding sentence is sure to rile the natives :)

Reactions: PaXman11

·
There Can Only Be One
2,696 Posts
MR VTX, or anybody who might know,

Man thx for the excellent instructions on overhauling my VTX carb. I'm not going to do the full overhaul, I'm a bit inexperienced, but your instructions are great!!! So my question is, I got the carb, not all the way off but where I can get to the jets, and when I dropped the float housing guess what I found? The damn main jet was laying in the float housing!!! So I'm thinking this may have been my problem but wanted to break down the jets anyway since I'm in there and make sure they're not plugged. Here's the real question, should the slow jet have a hole all the way through it, from top to bottom, like the needle jet holder? I can run a wire through the needle jet holder but I can't through the slow jet and I want to know if that's the way it's supposed to be or am I running into a plug on the slow jet? Thx for your help.
Yes, as Charlie D said, the slow jet does have a small hole all the way through. I sure hope it's that easy (main jet falling out). Be sure to tighten them down good, but not too tight.

·
my toes, my line
4,095 Posts
As when poking most anything into a hole, the key is to be careful, gentle, don't do any damage, and use some lubricant.
Resistance is futile.

Reactions: PaXman11

·
11,589 Posts
...Is there anything i'm missing or is it time to spend another $300 to get the carb overhauled again?...
...Man thx for the excellent instructions on overhauling my VTX carb. I'm not going to do the full overhaul, I'm a bit inexperienced, but your instructions are great!!! So my question is, I got the carb, not all the way off but where I can get to the jets, and when I dropped the float housing guess what I found? The damn main jet was laying in the float housing!!! So I'm thinking this may have been my problem but wanted to break down the jets anyway since I'm in there and make sure they're not plugged. Here's the real question, should the slow jet have a hole all the way through it, from top to bottom, like the needle jet holder? I can run a wire through the needle jet holder but I can't through the slow jet and I want to know if that's the way it's supposed to be or am I running into a plug on the slow jet? Thx for your help.
You should go get your first $300 back... :16: ...and I agree with everyone's comments above about the hole, and poking it, and all... :16: ...pilot jet (upper right in pic), also known as 'slow jet', should be removed to clean manually...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Air Filter?

Have you checked the air filter? That will cause lack of power when getting on the throttle.

·
Registered
274 Posts
As long as you're using Seafoam correctly (1oz./gallon), the bike will run fine with it in there, IME with using it...and I've used it quite a bit over the years. Your MPG will suffer while using it, but the bike will run fine. But as mentioned earlier, always stick with 86/87 (or lowest octane you can get in your area), and definitely ride it...no idling for extended lengths.

BTW, are you in Pasa-stinkin'-dena, TX?

With the ethanol added to gas nowadays, even letting it sit for a month or so can have some impact on the jets/carb bowl bottom...the stuff will gum up and also clog jets and other small passages. If you do need to get the carb cleaned up, do it yourself and save that $300 for something else. Here's a pretty decent write-up on the carb teardown. :icon_mrgr

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/7-vtx-1300-riders-board/201519-carb-cleaning-101-a.html
Thanks, I've been looking for a breakdown of the carb like that. What did you end up cleaning the carb body with?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts