Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
There Can Only Be One
2,751 Posts
Thanks, I've been looking for a breakdown of the carb like that. What did you end up cleaning the carb body with?
Just good ol' carb cleaner in a spray can. I thought about soaking in the Berryman Chem-Dip, but mine wasn't that bad, other than the accelerator pump rod that was corroded.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not sure if this is the same thing, but I had a similar thing when I first bought mine... ANYTIME I went above say, 3/4 throttle, the thing would spit and sputter like crazy... After spending a near fortune, I found two things... 1. There was fuel in the vacuum that runs to the cutoff side of the carb, and 2. My fuel pump connector had gotten disconnected somehow. I've had the connector shake loose again since, and the symptoms were the same... Again, this may not even be the same gig as you - mine happened ALL the time - but it's worth a glance

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hopefully y’all can help me out. I have an 06 Honda VTX 1300R. 5000 Miles. Just purchased it about 2 months ago. Was running fine, but stopped for gas and filled the tank, about 4 gallons worth. Got about a cup of water with it. I cleaned the carb and tank, but it still will not accelerate properly. Does fine. If I work th the throttle it will clear up till I shift to next gear. I removed and cleaned the needle valve, main jet and slow jet. Also the accelerator pump and checked the vacuum diaphragm . Not sure where to go from here. I am testing it with the air box removed. Will this make a difference? Did not remove or adjust mixture screw. was running great before the water

·
There Can Only Be One
2,751 Posts
Hopefully y’all can help me out. I have an 06 Honda VTX 1300R. 5000 Miles. Just purchased it about 2 months ago. Was running fine, but stopped for gas and filled the tank, about 4 gallons worth. Got about a cup of water with it. I cleaned the carb and tank, but it still will not accelerate properly. Does fine. If I work th the throttle it will clear up till I shift to next gear. I removed and cleaned the needle valve, main jet and slow jet. Also the accelerator pump and checked the vacuum diaphragm . Not sure where to go from here. I am testing it with the air box removed. Will this make a difference? Did not remove or adjust mixture screw. was running great before the water
You may just need to take the entire carb off and do a thorough checking & cleaning, paying particular attention to all those rubber parts (slide diaphragm, accelerator pump rod diaphragm, vacuum/fuel hoses, etc.) and small holes in the jets and emulsion tube. Also check the float and its needle seat for any pinholes.

·
Super Moderator
11,301 Posts
What does "Got about a cup of water with it." mean?

·
Registered
4 Posts
You may just need to take the entire carb off and do a thorough checking & cleaning, paying particular attention to all those rubber parts (slide diaphragm, accelerator pump rod diaphragm, vacuum/fuel hoses, etc.) and small holes in the jets and emulsion tube. Also check the float and it's needle seat for any pinholes.
i did pull the carb off the bike. I did find a little fluid in the vacuum module and i cleaned the jets again. Also took the a/f screw out and cleaned it also. Will install carb todsy. Hopefully that will fix the problem. Thanks for your help.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts