Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past few months, I have had this random issue, with my bike just shutting off while riding. I have replaced the battery, and testing my full charging system. I have inspected the wiring to the PCM, I have checked the wiring for the stator, rectifier, the diodes check out good. I have noticed that when this happens, I have messed with the kick stand switch, and sometimes it starts. When it does, if I turn the throttle it seems to suck air, then die, sometimes it just boggs down. I am just running out of things to test, inspect..

I am a mechanic by trade so I have gone through everything I can think of. Tia

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
627 Posts
Are you sure the kick stand switch is still good? Might be as simple as getting a new switch.

Also, just to make sure, I have to ask, did you tighten the battery terminals with a screwdriver or a wrench? It needs to be wrench tight.

·
Super Moderator
10,203 Posts
If the issue is a bad kickstand switch. then when the problem occurs, pulling in the clutch or shifting into neutral should eliminate the problem. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe that the kickstand switch showing a kickstand in the down position only will kill the bike (or prevent starting) if the bike is NOT in neutral and the clutch is NOT pulled in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Vinish , I honestly was thinking the same thing. When it happens I do pull the clutch, and it seems to still die. I have been suspecting, that it was either the stator or the rectifier. I knew my battery was low/bad.. a friend of mine works at a motorcycle shop, he came by and helped me check the charging system, he said that it all looked fine. That I needed to replace my battery and go from there. I'm to the point that I going to have to take to my Honda dealership. But I'm going to hate the bill??. So this is my last resort, is hoping that someone has had this problem, or seen this concern.

·
Registered
627 Posts
If you think the battery is bad, you should change it. The bike takes a lot of juice to start..

Not saying it is your problem, but it is a problem if you have a battery on its last leg.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just replaced it this Saturday, my readings at idle 14.01v, I have 14v at the connector that is a 4 pin with 2 red/2 green while running. I went on a test ride, and almost made it out of my neighborhood, and it started acting up again, so I turned around. It started to flood out, Soni turned the petcock off, and it seemed to run fine. But I turned it back on, and was running the same at that moment. By then I made it home.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Could it be a stuck carburetor float?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have taken the bowl off the carb when this first started happening, and it was clean. When it comes to motorcycle carbs I feel clueless..js

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have taken the bowl off the carb when this first started happening, and it was clean. When it comes to motorcycle carbs I feel clueless..js
Should be the same concept as a car. That white float in the bowl should move freely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took the bowl off the carb already, it looks great, no cracks in the float, the spring looks good, no pitting or corrosion on the pin.

·
Registered
2005 VTX 1300
29 Posts
For the past few months, I have had this random issue, with my bike just shutting off while riding. I have replaced the battery, and testing my full charging system. I have inspected the wiring to the PCM, I have checked the wiring for the stator, rectifier, the diodes check out good. I have noticed that when this happens, I have messed with the kick stand switch, and sometimes it starts. When it does, if I turn the throttle it seems to suck air, then die, sometimes it just boggs down. I am just running out of things to test, inspect..

I wonder if your petcock fuel valve could have anything to do with it. I had to replace mine years ago cuz I was having issues.
Can't remember what it was exactly, cuz I'm Old . .
But it seems like it had something to do with the fuel shutting off.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If the issue is a bad kickstand switch. then when the problem occurs, pulling in the clutch or shifting into neutral should eliminate the problem. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe that the kickstand switch showing a kickstand in the down position only will kill the bike (or prevent starting) if the bike is NOT in neutral and the clutch is NOT pulled in.
Just tried this on my ‘02 1800, engine running trans in neutral, kickstand down, pull in clutch and shift to 1st or 2nd = engine dies. hope this helps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have noticed, that when it does happen if I mess with the kickstand switch, it seems to start fine, but sometimes it just doesn't want to stay running. Is there a way to test this switch? I have inspected the wiring, as much as I possibly can.

·
Registered
2 Posts
@Vinish , I honestly was thinking the same thing. When it happens I do pull the clutch, and it seems to still die. I have been suspecting, that it was either the stator or the rectifier. I knew my battery was low/bad.. a friend of mine works at a motorcycle shop, he came by and helped me check the charging system, he said that it all looked fine. That I needed to replace my battery and go from there. I'm to the point that I going to have to take to my Honda dealership. But I'm going to hate the bill??. So this is my last resort, is hoping that someone has had this problem, or seen this concern.
On my VTX1800 it doesn't matter if the clutch is pulled or not. If I put the kickstand down with the bike in gear it kills the engine. I do that quite often when getting off the bike because I park my bike at home on a rear incline and don't want it to move. I pull to a stop with the bike in gear and the clutch pulled and put the kickstand down to kill the engine. Then when I let the clutch out I don't have to worry about it moving backwards on me while getting off. Intermittent problems are difficult to diagnose. I would replace the kickstand switch. It's easy and inexpensive.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have an 02 1800R and I ran into an issue just like this. I decided to use a cool key chain and the weight and vibration caused it to wear the contacts on one side of the switch. I run a small bike shop from my house so I removed my switch and swapped the contacts. It may be as easy as that. Hope this helps.....if you need more detail on how I found the problem, hit me up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You should be able to just put a jumper on the stand switch just for testing but if your stand is loose it could cause you to wreck if it comes down.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts