Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
If the sidestand switch is fine, check the neutral switch (located above the shift axle).
Check for continuity between the terminal on the neutral switch and ground. There should be continuity with the transmission in neutral and no continuity with the transmission in gear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For the past few months, I have had this random issue, with my bike just shutting off while riding. I have replaced the battery, and testing my full charging system. I have inspected the wiring to the PCM, I have checked the wiring for the stator, rectifier, the diodes check out good. I have noticed that when this happens, I have messed with the kick stand switch, and sometimes it starts. When it does, if I turn the throttle it seems to suck air, then die, sometimes it just boggs down. I am just running out of things to test, inspect..

I am a mechanic by trade so I have gone through everything I can think of. Tia
I had a similar problem with my VTX 1800c '02 model. I found it to be my MAF sensor. It is located behind the air intake. It looks like the image below. Although it looked clean, I sprayed it with MAP/MAF sensor spray to clean it and the problem went away. My bike kept dying when I went to overtake and was very dangerous. No more problems

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wonder if your petcock fuel valve could have anything to do with it. I had to replace mine years ago cuz I was having issues.
Can't remember what it was exactly, cuz I'm Old . .
But it seems like it had something to do with the fuel shutting off.
I was on a bike trip a few years ago and my 2005 VTX custom just shut down like somebody shut off the key. A Honda dealer was in the same town where I broke down. The mechanic said I had a shorted battery. It was old. But that wasn't why it didn't start. He said he Knew what it was and where to find it and did. He said he had run in to this several times over the years.
The plug going to the brain box under the seat which runs several things including the ignition. The main wire that supply's
power to it had broke inside the insulation from years of vibration. He cut the wire behind the brake and soldered in a new piece and sealed with shrink tubing. He then took the plug apart and removed the broken wire and connected the new lead.and BANG, It was running. That mechanic new his stuff. I have always prided my self on doing all my own work on my bikes for the last 45+ years But I have to say, I never saw this one coming. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was on a bike trip a few years ago and my 2005 VTX custom just shut down like somebody shut off the key. A Honda dealer was in the same town where I broke down. The mechanic said I had a shorted battery. It was old. But that wasn't why it didn't start. He said he Knew what it was and where to find it and did. He said he had run in to this several times over the years.
The plug going to the brain box under the seat which runs several things including the ignition. The main wire that supply's
power to it had broke inside the insulation from years of vibration. He cut the wire behind the brake and soldered in a new piece and sealed with shrink tubing. He then took the plug apart and removed the broken wire and connected the new lead.and BANG, It was running. That mechanic new his stuff. I have always prided my self on doing all my own work on my bikes for the last 45+ years But I have to say, I never saw this one coming. Hope this helps.
Thanks for all the info, Good to know ☀

·
Registered
3 Posts
Y
Yes, check the wires carefully. I experienced the same troubles. Had a broke wire inside the insulation.

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
Also, you can check the petcock without having to remove the tank just turn the petcock off, slightly loosen the nut that holds the petcock to the tank, spin the petcock 180 degrees and tighten the nut back up then remove the back cover and inspect the diaphragm using a bright light source behind it as you inspect it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For the past few months, I have had this random issue, with my bike just shutting off while riding. I have replaced the battery, and testing my full charging system. I have inspected the wiring to the PCM, I have checked the wiring for the stator, rectifier, the diodes check out good. I have noticed that when this happens, I have messed with the kick stand switch, and sometimes it starts. When it does, if I turn the throttle it seems to suck air, then die, sometimes it just boggs down. I am just running out of things to test, inspect..

I am a mechanic by trade so I have gone through everything I can think of. Tia
you can easily verify good/not the kickstand switch by simply jumping the two pins together on the plug going to the switch. this will remove the safety feature so use it for t/s only, unless you don't want the feature.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts