Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guy's and Gal's, I am new to the forum just purchased a 2004 1800 C and the guy I bought it from said that you have to stop and get gas at 70 miles. I thought that would be strange for a motorcycle with a big gas tank even if it didn't get good gas mileage. So to day I went and rode just to verify this, Well sure enough at 70 miles when you go to stop the motor wants to cutout, as long as you don't slow down to quick it will stay running if you brake to hard it will die and start right back up. it must have something to do with the pickup in the tank because at that point I only hold 2.5 gallons of gas to fill up. Anybody familiar with that problem? and how to fix? This one does have the internal pump.

Thanks for any help

·
From ID, GO VANDALS!
2005 VTX 1800N Spec 1
405 Posts
My 1800 has a low fuel light that comes on a little after 100 miles on in town riding and a little later out on the road. 70 miles seems pretty short. I am certain more qualified individuals will be chiming in with advise.

Welcome to the group from Idaho!

Ride Safe

Reactions: PaXman11

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 1800 has a low fuel light that comes on a little after 100 miles on in town riding and a little later out on the road. 70 miles seems pretty short. I am certain more qualified individuals will be chiming in with advise.

Welcome to the group from Idaho!

Ride Safe
Thanks 68valiant! I have been riding for 47yrs. and had a motorcycle accessories store for 13yrs. never seen this problem before, Hope someone has! lol

·
Registered
17,116 Posts
Thanks 68valiant! I have been riding for 47yrs. and had a motorcycle accessories store for 13yrs. never seen this problem before, Hope someone has! lol
Since your 2004 has the internal fuel pump, you may be having the FPR problem. Does it seem hard to start, and when riding, run erratically? Most of us with the early models have experienced the bad FPR. You can check your dipstick, and if it is over-full, or you smell a strong fuel smell, the FPR is leaking raw fuel past the FPR diaphragm, and it's getting into the cylinders, and the crankcase. DO NOT RUN it like this, until: A. You change the FPR (roughly $40) B. You drain your oil and C. Change the filter, and D. run it around the block then change/ drain just the oil a second time to rid all contaminants. Mileage will be cut nearly in half when the FPR acts up. I have the smallest tank, a 2003 1800 C. 4.49 gal. US. My light normally comes on about 3.7-3.8 gal. into a ride, or roughly 110-120 miles. This gives me a leeway of maybe 20-25 miles before I'm on fumes or out. If your bike sat for any length of time, like a year or 2, you could have sediment from rust or dirt that may be blocking the fuel filter inside the tank, or maybe your fuel pump is starting to go bad? Maybe another or 2 with more knowledge than me or some way to test the fuel pump will be along and advise. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since your 2004 has the internal fuel pump, you may be having the FPR problem. Does it seem hard to start, and when riding, run erratically? Most of us with the early models have experienced the bad FPR. You can check your dipstick, and if it is over-full, or you smell a strong fuel smell, the FPR is leaking raw fuel past the FPR diaphragm, and it's getting into the cylinders, and the crankcase. DO NOT RUN it like this, until: A. You change the FPR (roughly $40) B. You drain your oil and C. Change the filter, and D. run it around the block then change/ drain just the oil a second time to rid all contaminants. Mileage will be cut nearly in half when the FPR acts up. I have the smallest tank, a 2003 1800 C. 4.49 gal. US. My light normally comes on about 3.7-3.8 gal. into a ride, or roughly 110-120 miles. This gives me a leeway of maybe 20-25 miles before I'm on fumes or out. If your bike sat for any length of time, like a year or 2, you could have sediment from rust or dirt that may be blocking the fuel filter inside the tank, or maybe your fuel pump is starting to go bad? Maybe another or 2 with more knowledge than me or some way to test the fuel pump will be along and advise. Good luck.
The bike runs fine, I changed the oil and found not smells of gas, Its doing this thing before I even get a low fuel light. However the guy I bought from had re painted the bike and took apart the tank I believe. Maybe he did not put something back right? Maybe I should replace this FPR valve before it goes bad? Thanks for your response

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a '02 1800C and I have been tracking my fuel consumption during my past 15 fill ups. My riding is mainly highway and I usually run at around110-120 kph (68-75 mph) but I do like to let her run a few times when I'm out. I have averaged 39.4 miles/US Gal., or 47.3 miles/ Imperial Gal. or 5.99 litres/100 km. The resultant range to empty works out to 301 km (187 miles). Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
An 1800 should get 35-40 mpg with it more likely being closer to the 35. However, your problem is NOT fuel mileage. Your problem is running out of usable gas with 2.5 gallons still in the tank. This sounds like the intake port for fuel inside the tank has been located in the wrong place. I do not know what the "guts" of an 1800 tank looks like. For those that do, is it possible for the intake port to get mislocated?

·
Registered
17,116 Posts
The bike runs fine, I changed the oil and found not smells of gas, Its doing this thing before I even get a low fuel light. However the guy I bought from had re painted the bike and took apart the tank I believe. Maybe he did not put something back right? Maybe I should replace this FPR valve before it goes bad? Thanks for your response
If you have no proof from the PO that it was ever done, I would be pro-active and do it. But thats me. Just to eliminate something that could go wrong. It's possible, I guess, that he altered something, like the fuel pickup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked the FPR today, Took loose the vacuum line it had no clamp on it i just pushed it off with my finger. No fuel present, I put my finger on the end and turned the key on, heard the fuel pump prime took my finger off no fuel. So I guess it is still good, I ordered a new one today and will go ahead and change it just to be on the safe side!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked the FPR today, Took loose the vacuum line it had no clamp on it i just pushed it off with my finger. No fuel present, I put my finger on the end and turned the key on, heard the fuel pump prime took my finger off no fuel. So I guess it is still good, I ordered a new one today and will go ahead and change it just to be on the safe side!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Guy's and Gal's, I am new to the forum just purchased a 2004 1800 C and the guy I bought it from said that you have to stop and get gas at 70 miles. I thought that would be strange for a motorcycle with a big gas tank even if it didn't get good gas mileage. So to day I went and rode just to verify this, Well sure enough at 70 miles when you go to stop the motor wants to cutout, as long as you don't slow down to quick it will stay running if you brake to hard it will die and start right back up. it must have something to do with the pickup in the tank because at that point I only hold 2.5 gallons of gas to fill up. Anybody familiar with that problem? and how to fix? This one does have the internal pump.

Thanks for any help
My fuel light comes on at 90 miles and I'll take 3gal at the pump to top it off again.
So I'm at 30mpg on a 2002 1800c. Im also 6'2" close to 300lbs.

·
Registered
17,116 Posts
My fuel light comes on at 90 miles and I'll take 3gal at the pump to top it off again.
So I'm at 30mpg on a 2002 1800c. Im also 6'2" close to 300lbs.
And, wink, wink, I'd bet a strong right wrist.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts