Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of rebuilding both the Master Brake Cylinder and the Master Clutch Cylinder. It's not really a big deal until something is screwed up. I've been unable to find anything on the installation of these two kits:
MASTER CYLINDER SUB-ASSY., CLUTCH (NISSIN)
22890-MCH-006
and
PISTON SET, MASTER CYLINDER
22886-MAT-E01
both have little, rubber, strtechy, things that have to go over the piston. I decided to try to put them on the piston using C-ring pliers and a small pair of bent needle nose pliers. There are two problems with this approach: 1) the rubber pieces may not have sufficient elasticity to return to its normal size..and shape: 2) whether these would stretch the rubber and do irreparabledamage to the part causing the whole Honda Name to be dragged thru the mud. Again. if you can suggest where to find or to look for the procedures Thanks for your input.

·
Super Moderator
11,481 Posts
Is there anything about this in the service manual which can be downloaded here on the VTX Cafe?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The service manual wasn't any help with instructions except "Do not allow the piston cup lips to turn inside out." However there is good news. It seems I didn't search well enough
Using DuclDuckGo (Mother Google doesn't approve of me.), I searched the OEM part number. There are multitudes of thumbnails about rebuilding various master cylinders. I waded thru several and found this to be the best of the lot:
"How to disassemble, rebuild and reassemble master cylinders commonly found on motorcycles, powersports, atvs and other vehicles. How to bench test when done video: https://youtu.be/0BrHublevTE "
When doing my rebuild, it was difficult steadying the reservoir so I could clean, polish and buff its exterior., Clymer's suggests a bolt and a nut in a vise. (in searching for a nut to fit a bolt, I discovered something I'd not noticed b4. There are very few nuts, perhaps excluding riders, on the VTX! It's almost all bolts!) One fellow cut a small block of wood, attached the block to the handle bar clamp with the screws. Very neat and convenient.
There's a 2nd video by the same fellow who did the Master Cylinder which I've not yet watched. He claims to bench test a master cylinder for pressure.It's late and I need a bit of sleep. Apologies for not reviewing the video before mentioning it in a post. I yield to the OG's editing wisdom b4 posting this.
To answer your initial question, I can scan and upload a couple of pages. Is it a copyright violation to post them? i don't know the rules, laws, etc. And most importantly, thank you for replying. it motivated me to search further.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts