Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I am looking for some help on a fuel leak issue. I have an '05 1300R and have a leak from the fuel valve/petcock. I pulled the tank and tried to tighten the 4 phillips head screws on the back plate but since doing that it got a lot worse! I called the local dealer and was quoted a price of $137.50 + tax for a new valve. they claim there is no gasket or rebuild kit for it however they said there is a back plate available but did not know what came in the package. I know of the '07-'08 recall that nhtsa said takes about 10 minutes to replace a diaphragm. when I called Honda, they told me it was my "responsibility" and was not included in the recall. has anyone else had this issue on their VTX and if so is there a less expensive fix? does anyone know about the available back plate from the dealer and what it might contain?

thanks in advance,
Tommy
:banghead:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Beefy - I did see that one. I was hoping someone found a $5 gasket kit somewhere instead of having to shell out ridiculous money for such a simple repair.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
I think the internal diaphragm and the gasket are one in the same. There are only a few parts inside so it's not a nightmare to take the plate off and put it all back together. Perhaps you can get some liquid gasket and run a little around and reseal the diaphragm :hmm2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats a thought. I will be off thursday and friday and that will give me something to do. It's worth a try.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check your PM box Tommy.....There is no simple fix for this, I also found out that there is no petcock kit available. And now that I think of it, I have a working petcock from a 2006 Honda VTX 1300C.....(Stealer sent me this to replace my bad one but I had already bought and installed a new one) I dont know if that will work for your bike? I would be willing to save you some money off of the cost of the one in the link I sent you though....IF it would work for your bike! Let me know.

Nate

1 - 6 of 6 Posts