Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt the carb no my 1300R recently. Also replaced the fuel petcock and all vacuum lines. The bike starts normally and idles nicely. The problem I have is the motor will not run if I try to advance the throttle above 2200 RPM (the engine will sputter and die) and the vacuum slide does operate at all (it does not move at all). I replaced the vacuum piston/diaphragm. The accelerator pump seems to operate normally, and I am out of ideas.
If any one can point me in the right direction I will really appreciate the help. Thank you, Pete.

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
When you say that the slide will not operate, what do you mean? Do you mean that it will not move on its own? Do you mean that if you reach into the throat of the carb with the airbox off that you cannot lift the slide? If the former, it sounds like a vacuum problem since this piston is vacuum operated, the piston is binding somehow which you could detect by manually sliding it up and down, or the diaphragm is not installed correctly such that the vacuum is leaking past it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good morning, I can operate the slide manually. If I raise it and release the piston it will return to the seated position. The piston moves freely with no hesitation. I will check the installation of the diaphragm and recheck the vacuum hoses. Tks for info, Pete.

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
If that is sliding when moved manually but not sliding when revving the engine, I suspect something is wrong with the vacuum supply to the carb or the diaphragm's ability to "hold" vacuum has been compromised. As you indicate, check these things out and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
2005 VTX1300C
2 Posts
I rebuilt the carb no my 1300R recently. Also replaced the fuel petcock and all vacuum lines. The bike starts normally and idles nicely. The problem I have is the motor will not run if I try to advance the throttle above 2200 RPM (the engine will sputter and die) and the vacuum slide does operate at all (it does not move at all). I replaced the vacuum piston/diaphragm. The accelerator pump seems to operate normally, and I am out of ideas.
If any one can point me in the right direction I will really appreciate the help. Thank you, Pete.
Sounds like you tank vent maybe blocked. Its a vacuum hose from the back right bottom side of the gas tank and runs down next to the voltage regulator. The hose or the tube the hose connects to under the tank might be clogged.
RV

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
Just to clarify, the fuel tank vent hose is made from vacuum hose (or something very similar) but it does NOT connect to the vacuum system on the bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts