Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2005 vtx 1800n and it came with a batwing. The bike has less then 10,000 miles and the tires are fairly new. I have been riding on the back roads and really like the looks and feel of the bike but I took it up on the interstate yesterday and everything seemed good till I got to 75 mph. The bike began to wobble like the batwing was buffering air. The faster I went the worst it got. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
582 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my 1800N, turned out to be a bad tire on the rear. Broken belt in
the tire and the tire was new. Just a thought and a place to start looking.
Good luck,
Toby

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,148 Posts
If there is anyway to adjust it, I would try that. I tilted my Tsukayu fairing back or up to allow some more air to flow underneath and it helped

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
596 Posts
For my Tsukayu, I had to add lower wind deflectors in addition to what @MPD193 said, about tilting the batwing. I had to tilt it so it is parallel to the forks (if you look from the side).

·
From ID, GO VANDALS!
2005 VTX 1800N Spec 1
342 Posts
Welcome to the group!

Good to see another N model on here. They are after all the best model. :cool:

Reactions: Fishingfoolemjak

·
Registered
8,357 Posts
15 years old.. regardless of miles

first check the rear Shock Mounts ( rubber donuts ) they will become egg shape and are bad.
air pressure in tires.. 38 front and 40 rear.. Period

N is nice.. but "F" is the fastest... ask anyone that rode one.:)
the "F" does not use rubber donuts for mounts. only the "F" has bearing there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the same thing happen on my 1800N, turned out to be a bad tire on the rear. Broken belt in
Good luck,
Toby
Good luck,
Toby
Ok thanks ill check that

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For my Tsukayu, I had to add lower wind deflectors in addition to what @MPD193 said, about tilting the batwing. I had to tilt it so it is parallel to the forks (if you look from the side).
Mine doesn't have much adjustment room. I did move and try it out tomorrow. Did the lower deflectors work for you?

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
596 Posts
Mine doesn't have much adjustment room. I did move and try it out tomorrow. Did the lower deflectors work for you?
Yes. I first confirmed that the wobble was batwing related by removing the batwing and testing out all speeds, no wobble at all. That narrowed it down to the batwing. From there I adjusted my batwing angle and it got better, but for me, I needed the lower deflectors to get it completely gone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts