Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Love the site. :)
I just recently added a some new Roadburner Double eagles, k&n air filter and a PCIII from Fuelmoto.
-I had the people at Fuelmoto map the PCIII for me with my specs.
-When I start the bike cold it idles high-pretty normal
------
-The issue is that after driving for about 30 min the bike idle does lower a bit but still sounds like its running a little fast.

-My question is if theres any tips for adjusting the idle-(from the other posts sounds like its running lean)
-I was thinking about pushing the buttons on the PCIII to adjust??
-Also, what about this A/F screw? or is that only for non fuel injected vtxs
----
-Looking for that red light bub, bub..bub sound without causing oil pressure issues.

Thanks everyone... :patriot:

·
2,807 Posts
hold up don't jump the gun....

was it running well after they dyno'd it?

no don't adjust idle (it could be too rich or fouled plugs)
don't push PCIII buttons
yours is FI and doen't have AF screw.

there are a number of things that could be causing these issues. you most likly need to do some more reading and isolate things more before you mess things up and have to go back and pay fuelmoto more to fix it.

May need new plugs or loose battery cables (ground).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fuelmoto guys never dyno'd it
they sent me the PCIII with the maps already installed.
-Ill have to ck my battery and make sure all is conected right
-I only have 3k miles on the bike do you think its really the plugs and wires already?

·
2,807 Posts
sorry thought that since you were in MN that you took it to WI t the fuelmoto guys.

was it running different after the install then it is now? or is this what happened as soon as you installed new parts?

There is a chance that they just loaded the PCIII with the cookie cutter map for your steup, which could be causing it to run too rich which could in turn have fouled the plugs. the bike does not care how many miles are on it if you have altered air and fuel along with pipes, plugs can foul not the wires just plugs. I am still a little fuzzy on what exactly it is doing?

does it run good but just idles a little fast (at operating temp)?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
YES... :)
It runs very well and dosent sputter or anything from start up to an hour in of riding.
It just seems to be running a little faster than what i would like during stops.
-Im not looking for a Harley sound or anything just want to make sure its running smooth and not burning too much gas.
----
would you suggest taking the plugs out and seeing if there dirty? and if so can you wipe them off or do i need new ones.
---
Also, do you think the climate changes could be a factor, warm days to cold days even at operating temp?

Thanks again for the input...

·
Registered
220 Posts
mine idles high to so this is an interesting question. however i have an aftermarket tach and dont know how spot on it is, but mine idles at about 1100

·
Registered
881 Posts
My bike was idling higher than usual due to the fuel map I had selected in my PCIII. Last weekend my son and I tried a different map and the bike purrs like a kitten again. Also regained my fuel economy and the power is definitely there!!

The map I had selected provided too much fuel to early. I obtain my maps from the power commander website.

good luck

·
Master Chromer
4,226 Posts
If you simply want to lower the idle there is a plastic star shaped knob with a long rubber tube running up to the carb idle adjustment. It's accessable from the left side of the bike between the jugs. You can do this with your fingers.....5 second deal.....won't affect your air/fuel mixture from your pcIII

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
If you simply want to lower the idle there is a plastic star shaped knob with a long rubber tube running up to the carb idle adjustment. It's accessable from the left side of the bike between the jugs. You can do this with your fingers.....5 second deal.....won't affect your air/fuel mixture from your pcIII
Correct, BUT, you need to determine EXACTLY what idle speed you are running at now,,, Judging by ear is not accurate,,,

Your 'normal operating temp' idle should be about 900 rpm,,,, do not go lower,,, Oil pressure will drop,,,,

How do you check the rpm????

You have a PCIII,,, hook it up to your laptop/PC while the bike is running,,,, Using the Dynojet software, the rpms will be displayed on the screen

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sweet Thanks guys,

I was wondering if that knob was related.. :)
-So just to be perfectly clear, Let the bike run for a few minutes get to operating temps,-maybe ill drive it around a bit then come back.
-hook it up to the pc and find out the rpms.
-if its higher than 900 turn the knob on the left side of the bike(turn which way??)
-watch the rpms on the PC and make sure stays above 900.
------
thanks again, all great advice.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I'm not sure which way to turn the knob,, I've never touched mine,,,

{You have a 50/50 chance of getting it right the first time =) ,}

I double-checked the recommended idle speed in my 2002-2008 C/F Shop manual. (I am on the high side @ 900),

Page 3-17:

IDLE SPEED: 800, + or - 100 rpm.

So, if you want, you can go as low as 700,,,,,

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
The guy that does my maps always does it ( what he calls cold maping and then hot mapping ). He says that way it/he want mess up the idle. Mine does the cold idle thing right but still idles a little fast at stops in gear but if I put it in nutral it idles down.
:choppersmride on !!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts