Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,301 Posts
Look in the sticky threads under VTX1300 for interchangeable oil filter numbers. There are a lot of filter options. Some claim one is better than another but never with persuasive data and usually with nothing more than anecdotal data (e.g. my uncle use Purolator filters on his cars for 82 years and never had a problem :) ). I believe that pretty much any filter that will fit is just fine and there is no need to spend more on, for example, a K&N oil filter. For oil, it is critical that you use only oil that is NOT labeled as "energy conserving" as these types contain slip additives harmful to proper functioning of the wet clutch. There are two main schools of thought on oil - synthetic and "regular" aka dino oil (for dinosaur oil even though oil in the ground comes from ancient plants and small ocean going organisms and not the large reptiles we think of as dinosaurs). I am a proponent of synthetic oil but there are plenty of folks who have success with dino oil. I do not believe there is any significant difference in engine wear/life depending on which synthetic oil you use so I do not believe you need to go the expensive route like Amsoil although I have used quite a bit of Amsoil in my various bikes. Lately, I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic oil purchased in 5 quart (ot it might be 4 qt) containers from Walmart. It is full synthetic and cheap.

Bottom line - do not believe anyone who touts a specific brand of oil or filter as being the best.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,297 Posts
I buy a gallon of Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic and the one of the 3.25" filters on this page Answers to Common Questions

The bike has a 3.9 gallon capacity with the 2.5" filter so I use the longer filter and dump in the whole gallon

·
Super Moderator
11,301 Posts
I have used Shell Rotella also and it was just fine.

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,613 Posts
This topic has started wars in the past. You are a brave man, sir. haha I had a guy once tell me that if I switch to his brand oil, that he uses I mean, that my engine temp would drop 20 degrees! I told him that was awesome but how did he manage that since the thermostat will keep the engine temp consistent. He swore that air cooled engines do not have thermostats and the engine temp can vary from the oil, which I totally agreed with, but again asked how that applies to my engine. He didn't even look at my bike and thought it was a Harley-Davidson. That goes to show you that people will spout out stuff without research even when the bike is right in front of you! Use whatever oil works best for you. I have an 1800 so I use full synthetic 10W-40 and the correct Fram oil filter. That is the combo that works for me, and that a Honda wrench on this forum uses as well. Enjoy your bike, sir!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts