Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on a very extensive ride. About 2 hours then an hour stop for lunch then I rode for another 2 hours then I stopped, upon stopping i lowered the kickstand to shut off the bike while in gear and got off to take off my jacket. About 3 minutes later I hopped back on, put the kickstand up, pulled in the clutch, and pushed the starter but nothing at all. At first the light wasn't on near the front then after turning off then turning the bike back on the light is on and all electronics work. However the bike still refuses to start, it doesnt try to turn over or anything. The bike just sits. No flickers at all and the headlight turns off when I push the starter. Fuses are good as well. I do flip up the kickstand and pull in the clutch plus its in neutral.

·
Super Moderator
10,208 Posts
First, charge the battery and have it 100 amp load tested at some chain autoparts store. Second, tighten the battery cables with a wrench or socket and not a screwdriver. Third, clean your start button. Do a search on the VTX Cafe for this procedure and how to avoid losing the tiny spring and ball bearing when you take it apart.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First, charge the battery and have it 100 amp load tested at some chain autoparts store. Second, tighten the battery cables with a wrench or socket and not a screwdriver. Third, clean your start button. Do a search on the VTX Cafe for this procedure and how to avoid losing the tiny spring and ball bearing when you take it apart.

Thank you for the reply, however this did not work. The battery is fine at 12 volts, the connections to the battery are good, and I cleaned the starter switch. Nothing still. The bike will start on a rolling start in second gear but nothing else.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Do note that the Solenoid is fine as well, I did a jump test and it sparked over but it still did not start. Thinking its the starter.

·
Super Moderator
10,208 Posts
You say, "The battery is fine at 12 volts". The voltage on a battery means almost nothing. A battery can very easily have 12 volts but lack the power to start the bike. Your comment suggests you did not have it 100 amp load tested. If this is the case, I recommend you do so. It is a free test and will definitively eliminate the battery as a possible culprit. If the battery tests good, then consider jumping the bike from a car battery. Some say this is a bad idea and will cause damage to the bike but I disagree. The car battery and the car charging system put on somewhere between 12.5 and 15 volts and this will not hurt the bike. If the jump also will not start the bike, then your hypothesis of a bad starter sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Clean the switch on the handlebars and put some silicone grease on it when you put it back together. I seen this problem on more than one bike!!! Spray some WD40 in the switch and it may cause it to work for a bit but the better solution is to pull it entirely apart and clean it right!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thank everyone who helped with this however nothing suggested worked. Battery was tested for amperage and came out good, all other suggestions were done as well. In the end, after all failed attempts, I ordered a new start/stop and kill switch assembly. Put that on and she fired right up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like a starter issue. Unfortunately motorcycle starters are easy to get tucked up. Could've simple had a big rock kick up and hit it. That can be all it takes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts