Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spent about three full weeks restoring my 2006 Honda VTX 1300C back to close to original condition for an upcoming trip to Seattle. I was just finishing the project today by installing the new wheels/tires on the bike and when completed I realized that I had left the key on (probably for several days) and the battery was completely dead.

I recharged the battery and even hooked it up to my Jeep with jumper cables but the darn thing will not turn over. The lights come on, the horn works, etc., and when I push the switch the headlamp just goes dim. I checked the Ignition fuse and it's OK.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Too short for my weight
5,614 Posts
You'll probably have to buy a new battery. Charge it fully, then take it to the auto parts store and have them load test it for 100A... if it passes then you may have a different issue.... and make sure you tighten the connections back to the battery with a wrench or socket, not a screwdriver...

·
Super Moderator
10,356 Posts
Start with the battery fix as fishingfoolemjak suggests. If this fixes the problem, great. If not, it could likely be the starter button switch. It is properly turning off the headlight with trying to start but is not making the necessary connection to power the starter motor. To test this, put the bike in neutral. Then double chyeck that the bike is in neutral. Then roll the bike back and forth with the cluthc NOT pulled in to triple check that the bike is in neutral. Only then, use a screw driver or other metal tool to jump across the two poles of the starter solenoid to see if this causes the starter motor to turn. If so, the problem is almost certainly the starter button. There is a good tutorial on the Rattlebars website on how to clean the starter switch. Be VERY careful when taking it apart. There is a spring loaded ball bearing that wants to fly off never to be seen again. If jumping the solenoid poles does not fire it up and the new battery is installed, I'm not sure the problem.

Reactions: Fishingfoolemjak

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, so the battery is almost brand new so I was pretty confident that was not causing the problem, but I ensured the battery was fully charged and then ensured the terminals were tight with a wrench.
After reading articles and input from VTXCAFE I focused on the starter switch and the kill switch. I toggled the kill switch back and forth several times and finally the starter motor kicked in and the bike started right up.

As it stands now, I cant get the issue to repeat but if it does I'll go ahead and replace the kill switch.

Thanks everyone for your insights into solving this riddle!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'd be hesitant to wait on it to die given how it'll almost certainly be at the most inconvenient moment and at the farthest distance from home. At the very least you should clean the contacts on the switch before replacing it.

·
Super Moderator
10,356 Posts
While it is certainly possible that the kill switch contacts are the source of the problem, it is MUCH more common that it is the starter button contacts. It might just be a coincidence that flipping the kill switch a few times worked and the problem might still be in the starter button. If you do decide to take things apart and clean them (and you really should do this), I recommend doing both switches to be safe.

·
Too short for my weight
5,614 Posts
I just did this maintenance a couple days ago, clean the switch! It's very easy, it took longer to read how to do it than it did to actually do it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts