Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
Despite the fact that I have been riding since 2007, I still consider myself to be a newbie, especially when it comes to mechanical problems. This morning started out to work, and the bike just died. I could not get it started again. I don't normally use the choke, but I did today, and it ran for another minute or two before dying out for good. I rolled her back home and drove the truck into work. Not sure what could be the problem. I'm not much of a mechanic except for the things I have had to fix and investigate. This may be one of them. It might be a fuel issue. Maybe a spark plug issue. Maybe both. Not sure.

I may have to wait until the weekend to do a thorough investigation, but in the meantime, I thought I would get ideas on where to start and what to do.

Here are other things that may have a bearing on this situation:
1. Despite the rain you may have heard about here in Houston lately, it has really been raining almost daily for the past 3-4 weeks. I don't ride in the rain when I can help it. So the bike has sat up for a few weeks. We also took a week vacation during this time. I did ride yesterday to and from work as usual.
2. I did install the Scar mode when I got my Airbox in 2008. Not sure if this matters.
3. I use a K&N reuseable air filter. Cleaned my current filter this past March. Also changed my oil at the same time, Royal Purple.
4. The engine turns over just fine, and the battery did not run down. I did not continue to try to start it once it did not cooperate.

While I'm at it, I absolutely hate the local dealers in this area. I am not saying I have tried them all, but those closest to me here in Houston seem to gouge-price everything. I would love to have a trusted mechanic give my bike a thorough look over for the current problem and for the general overall health of my bike. Know of anyone in the greater Houston area?

Thanks for the assistance and input. It is greatly appreciated.

ciresmis

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Petcock vac line. Came off or lost Vac due to break or crack.... ?
Did you try and switch to reserve?? (out of gas)....
My first guesses...............
Water condensation in tank, any alcohol additive might work (mixes with water & will run)...

JUst thinking out loud ????

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I agree with FRANKCAT.
First thing your bike is 9 years old. The vacume hose get old and crack and can slip off the petcock easily , if that petcock doesn't get a vacume it will not open.
You are expierenced here but I still will ask is the petcock pointing down ..run position.. But even then if there is not enough gas in the tank it could be below the run stack , hence you would have to go to reserve.
It only takes about 2 feet of vacume hose front your local auto parts store. Take a sample with you.
Little tube connected to the left rear of petcock.
Donut/Doug

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yep Yep, Doug at it again....

Sounds like a similar issue to another user we just responded to.
Replace the vacuum lines, easy peasy fix. SeaFoam in the tank never hurts.
Its also possible that you may now after all these years be in need of a petcock diaphragm.
You should be able to pull a vacuum on the side of the petcock (that has the vac line on it) and not bleed down at all. should just hold the vacuum.
If it bleeds down, you have a pinhole or crack in the diaphragm. Replace. Petcock Valve Diaphragm Cover Set VTX1300 VT750 Shadow OEM Honda #H79

Ride Safe, Ride Often.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All work and no play ...

I really appreciate all the help with this. My job has totally dominated this weekend with me working a full day yesterday and today. I did manage to order a new diaphragm kit and will get some replacement vacuum hose this week. I hope to have some spare time in the next few days or at the least next weekend.

Thanks to FRNKCAT, Donut, and RevAtb for pointing me in the right direction. I will post the results as soon as I can.

ciresmis

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Dude, I just fought the same battle with a new-to-me 06 1300c. And sure enough, vacuum hose problem made worse by having a hyper charger. I was convinced it was a carb/jet problem but it wasn't. You can buy vacuum hose all day at Advance Auto for less than $2 a foot and you only need about 3 feet.

I really appreciate all the help with this. My job has totally dominated this weekend with me working a full day yesterday and today. I did manage to order a new diaphragm kit and will get some replacement vacuum hose this week. I hope to have some spare time in the next few days or at the least next weekend.

Thanks to FRNKCAT, Donut, and RevAtb for pointing me in the right direction. I will post the results as soon as I can.

ciresmis

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Petcock Cover Set Work

The petcock repair kit is on its way. It appears to me that I will need to take the tyank off to do this, yes? Has anyone done this repair without removing the tank? I plan on replacing the vacuum hoses as well. I have almost half a tank of gas, so I hope to save that if possible. Seems to me that I took the tank off once before and very little fuel actually came out. I was surprised then, but that was back in 2008 or 2009. My memory is not what it used to be, so I may be thinking of something else, but I could have swore I took the tank off and had very little leak/spill out.

Just trying to get an idea of what to expect before next weekend. The kit will not arrive until Thursday or Friday.

Is there anything else I should be thinking about doing while I'm at it? Is the fuel hose next to the vacuum hose on the petcock due for replacement as well?

As always, I am appreciative of the assistance.

ciresmis

·
Whatever...
706 Posts
I've been away from the forum, as my bike is 1600 miles south of me....

I had this exact problem in February and it was a pinhole leak in the diaphragm. I patched it with some silicone glue, and all is good! I have a thread on this somewhere in here.... Anyway you WILL have to pull the tank, and what I suggest is getting a large cardboard box and using it to stand the tank up on end, rather than spilling fuel everywhere.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Just my opinion, but I'd install a fuel filter in the hose between the petcock and the carb. Yes, I know there's a filter basket in the carb, but prefer to pull my seat to view the status of my fuel filter rather than tear into my carb for the same inspection. Double filters, it's a beautiful thing !!!!!

The petcock repair kit is on its way. It appears to me that I will need to take the tyank off to do this, yes? Has anyone done this repair without removing the tank? I plan on replacing the vacuum hoses as well. I have almost half a tank of gas, so I hope to save that if possible. Seems to me that I took the tank off once before and very little fuel actually came out. I was surprised then, but that was back in 2008 or 2009. My memory is not what it used to be, so I may be thinking of something else, but I could have swore I took the tank off and had very little leak/spill out.

Just trying to get an idea of what to expect before next weekend. The kit will not arrive until Thursday or Friday.

Is there anything else I should be thinking about doing while I'm at it? Is the fuel hose next to the vacuum hose on the petcock due for replacement as well?

As always, I am appreciative of the assistance.

ciresmis

·
Registered
100 Posts
Loosen that hex nut then rotate the pet**** so the 4 screw face you. Of course remove the vac n gas lines first . No need to remove the tank. Don't tighten the hex nut to tight else you'll damage a that o ring then cause a leak.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will investigate the second fuel filter. I cannot see the one I have now, so I'm not sure what advantage there is to having another one. I don't pull my tank off unless I have to.

Ea$y Rider, I can rotate the petcock around, but what does the other end of the vacuum line attach to, and how hard is it to reach that area? That is what I will be investigating next. Need to drop by the auto parts place to get some hose, so I will need to know what size hose to look for.

·
Super Moderator
10,092 Posts
If you are replacing the vacuum hose leading to the petcock, then you will need to pull the tank and maybe the air box to access the other end of this hose.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I think it prudent to change all hoses involved. I have only pulled the tank once or twice, so the memory of the last time I did it is vague. I am starting to look forward to it though.

If you are replacing the vacuum hose leading to the petcock, then you will need to pull the tank and maybe the air box to access the other end of this hose.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I too had the vacuum line come off the petcock valve. I got three houses up the street and it died. I read here on the Cafe to check the vacuum line and that was it. Slid it back on and has not been a problem. Best of luck!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I have a handle on what I need to do this weekend to get my bike up and running. That being said, which of these fuel filters would you choose? Can you explain why a second fuel filter is advantageous? I don't really use the one I have now, so I am not sure I understand what this is all about. Can you enlighten me?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I too had the vacuum line come off the petcock valve. I got three houses up the street and it died. I read here on the Cafe to check the vacuum line and that was it. Slid it back on and has not been a problem. Best of luck!
I don't see any holes or anything, and nothing has slipped off, but the bike will not start. I have not tried everything yet, but I have not had a lot of time. It's dark when I leave for work, and it's dark when I get home. It's a good thing though. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,456 Posts
First thing that came to my mind (after vacuum hoses, is a hole / tear in the vacuum diaphragm inside the petcock.

BTW, it is not that hard to remove the tank with half a tank of fuel. Just have a blanket ready on the floor to put the tank on, secure the front wheel straight ahead, shut off the petcock, remove the vacuum hose from the petcock, have a bottle ready to catch the excess fuel in the fuel line (if there is any), move the fuel line clamp up the line and use a pair of cheap pliers to rock the fuel line back and forth on the nipple and slide it off and into the bottle and loosen the tank vent line. The tank won't be that heavy for a strong, young man like you!!!! :stirpot:

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Most common cause for not starting.
Kill switch off.
Little vacume hose came off left rear side of petcock.
There is also a T in the hose behind the petcock , hoses have to be connect to all three sides and where they go.
Enough gas in it. Actually gases, and not accidently filled with Diesel.
Petcock pointing down for Run or up for reserve. Dose the peacock turn forward and up and not to the rear and up.
Shifter in neutral.
Vacume hoses off somewhere on engine.
Week battery not turning it over fast enough.
Pinched vent hose at rear right bottom of tank. It goes down to a T then on down, the T has only two hoses that connects to it and the third is to be left open and not capped as its a vent.
If choke is pulled out it can foul the plugs really fast.

Donut/Doug

·
Super Moderator
10,092 Posts
Regarding the addition of a fuel filter - remember that there is no fuel pump on this bike. The fuel is gravity fed into the float bowl. There is already a coarse inline filter inside the fuel inlet nipple on the carb. Adding another fuel filter, especially if it is a fine mesh filter, could reduce flow too much and lead to the float bowl not filling as fast as the bike is using fuel. Watch out for this.

G'day,

Vinish

1 - 20 of 35 Posts