Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

2006 VTX 1800F - Heel/Toe Shifter?

7K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  kscycle 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I'm looking at picking up a 2006 VTX 1800F (an upgrade from my 2005 VTX 1300S :)) and was wondering if anyone knew of any parts kits out there to convert the traditional peg shifter on the 1800F over to a heel/toe shifter if I picked up some floorboards?

I've been looking around and I've seen floorboard kits on all the major parts company sites (J&P, Dennis Kirk, etc.), but nothing about changing up the 1800F's shifting linkage over to a heel/toe setup.

If nothing exists, has anyone ever taken the OEM heel/toe setup from other 1800 models and mounted it on an F? I would imagine this would be possible and fairly easy, but I'm not as familiar with the 1800's as I am with my 1300.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Found this here on VTX CAFE posted by JAYBOVAY. Is for the C but F SHOULD be the same. For the price and limited options, would be worth a try I think.

Found this uhhhh somewhere else...

>Buy: one heel/toe shifter for a VTX 1300 Retro and the two rubber pads for the shifter (The linkage connecter comes attached but the pads must be installed... hold them under the hot tap water for a minute and they will be easy to push onto the shifter) (These parts, I bought from HDL.)
Now
>Go to Ace Hardware and buy two #93 "O" rings from the plumbing section and one #8 (metric) stainless washer from the nuts and bolts section.
>Obtain an aluminium drink can (beer,cola etc...).
>You will also need some moly-grease.

The operation:
(A bike jack/lift is needed to gain clearance for this operation)
1) Raise the bike on the lift,
2) Remove the shifter assembly from the bike,
3) Remove the shift pivot bolt from the bracket,
4) Loosen the lock(jam) nut on the shifter linkage, (do not turn it past the point of lose and let the nut stay at that point on the shifter rod, the new shifter will be adjusted to the same point and locked down by tightening that nut).
5) Turn/spin the shifter and remove it from the shifting rod.
6) Clean the grease and remove the seal from the shift pivot bolt.
7) With a pair of tin shears, cut a strip from the aluminium can that is (as in the picture) wide enough to cover the "shoulder" area of the shift pivot bolt.
8 ) Wrap the strip around the pivot bolt to get two full wraps and cut it to that length.
9) Roll the strip and insert it into the new shifter, (see photo).
10) Push the pivot bolt into the shifter and check to ensure that the rolled strip does NOT extent out of the hole on the shifter on either side... if it does, trim the strip so that it only fills the area needed.

The assembly:
1) Install new shifter onto the shift rod and turn it in to the position of the jam nut.
2) Place one #93 "O" ring onto the pivot bolt.
3) Insert the rolled strip (sleeve) into the new shifter.
4) Lube the pivot bolt with moly grease.
5) Insert the pivot bolt into the sleeve being careful to keep the moly grease off of the bolt end (threaded portion).
6) Place the second #93 "O" ring into the seal channel on the opposite side of the shifter.
7) Place the #8 washer onto the threaded portion of the pivot bolt and install this assembly onto the shift/foot bracket. (as you turn the pivot bolt the "O" rings will seat into the seal channels and keep the grease from oozing out. Tighten the pivot bolt.
8 ) Reassemble the foot bracket to the frame, check for proper clearance of the shifter and tighten all bolts. DON"T forget to tighten the jam nut. After checking to make sure all bolts are tight. Get that bike off of the lift and go enjoy your new shifter

You do NOT have to be a master wrench to do this mod... All you need is regular hand tools and basic knowledge.

Here is the info you will need:
From HDL, buy the following;

1 ) 1 OEM Heel-toe shifter for the VTX 1300 Retro.(linkage coupler is installed)
Pt# 24710 - MEA - 740 @ $32.27

2 ) 2 Rubber shift pads for that shifter.
Pt# 24781 - 371 - 000 @ $2.84 ea. ($5.6

Total cost $37.95 (add $5.00 handling if your order is less than $100.00 [$42.95])

Here's the link with pics.....

http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php/60913-1800c-Heel-Toe-shifter

#4 ·
#5 ·
Thanks everyone!

Got one more question for ya if you don't mind... anyone have any thoughts about the V&H Cruzer exhaust system for the VTX? I've been thinking about picking up the system if I keep my 1300 and was wondering if anyone has seen any performance gains, sound of the bike, etc?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.