Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi new member with stock '07 1300R. I'm still sifting through old threads and learning. I have an issue I wanted to bounce off the cafe for my first post. My bike has been running great but a new issue cropped up:

Problem: Occasionally after cranking, the engine cuts out after a minute or two and won't re-start. The bike has never cut out on me (yet) while riding down the road; it always cuts out soon after starting, usually right as I'm leaving the driveway. When it dies, it turns but won't fire. I have cranked it until the battery dies without a sputter. When it finally cranks, it is like nothing was ever wrong and it runs great sometimes for weeks before the problem returns.

Things I've done/checked:
  • new plugs, air filter, and fluids
  • replaced entire starter switch assembly (after breaking the start button trying to clean it)
  • disconnected and reconnected battery terminals with socket wrench. connection seems fine
  • verified gas is flowing properly
  • verified spark
  • I don't see cracks in breather tubes but need to take them off to check thoroughly

What I suspect: something in the carburetor that occasionally gets stuck and once free it runs fine. I had a '81 CB750C for years, so I do know how to clean carbs and figured I'd start there

While I'm waiting on my carb kit, I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced similar problems or has suggestions of things to check. I expect some reprimands but I have never had the bike serviced or tuned up (bought with 6K now at 32K). It has run so good that I have only changed fluids and tires to this point. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
I have no specific idea but think that your idea to clean the carb is a good one. You should also check that the vacuum system is functioning properly and providing vacuum to the petcock.

·
Super Moderator
5,729 Posts
Try this, get a can of either starting fluid. ride like you normally do. If or when it dies on you before leaving try to start it a time or two but don't wear down the battery! Pop the filter cover off the carb, hit it with a shot of starter fluid, hold the cover tight to the air box and hit the starter. If it still won't start then fuel is not your problem. At this point you might want to be looking at the control box under the seat and right above the battery. The wires going to this control box are very small and sensitive to vibration, particularly the black wire and the wire next to it. Hope this helps. And, let us know and we can go from there!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts