Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda VTX1300 S
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased this bike, 2007 1300S, rode it twice, ran great, no worries. Only 2300 miles on the bike!

Previous owner had it a short time, but he is 70, and said petcock leaked a little (dripped), so he just left it on all the time.

Went to ride it yesterday, after only a mile or so, ran out of fuel, no fuel in reserve, leaking gas after set on reserve and back to on (after adding 2 gallons of fuel).

At the time, it was hard to start, rough idle, died after a few moments. Managed to get it home.

Today, started it, very much the same, with pops in exhaust.

I checked oil for fuel, don't smell any, but the oil seems somewhat watery and drips off dipstick.

Can the bad petcock (recall notice for these, I read here) be the cause for these problems?

Thanks for any and all advice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just purchased this bike, 2007 1300S, rode it twice, ran great, no worries. Only 2300 miles on the bike!

Previous owner had it a short time, but he is 70, and said petcock leaked a little (dripped), so he just left it on all the time.

Went to ride it yesterday, after only a mile or so, ran out of fuel, no fuel in reserve, leaking gas after set on reserve and back to on (after adding 2 gallons of fuel).

At the time, it was hard to start, rough idle, died after a few moments. Managed to get it home.

I checked oil for fuel, don't smell any, but the oil seems somewhat watery and drips off dipstick.

Can the bad petcock (recall notice for these, I read here) be the cause for these problems?

If it were my bike I would want to replace the petcock valve. Leaking fuel is never good in any situation. I wouldn't assume it to be the main culprit for poor running but it's not impossible. I would start by checking all of your vacuum lines as they get brittle and crack over time. A crack or hole will pull extra air in and create a lean condition. Also an 07 with 2300 miles has obviously done A LOT of sitting in storage and I would most definitely pull the carb and give it a proper cleaning. I can assume from over here that your pilot jet may be clogged (possibly). Also the accelerator pump may not be functioning properly for a number of reasons, bad diaphragm, clogged check valves. The slide diaphragm should also be checked for cracks. Have you looked in the fuel tank with a flash light? Mine sat for 9 years before I bought it and it had a decent amount of rust in it. I never ran it with the rusty tank but if someone did it could easily pull rust particles through the petcock because the screen on the pick up tube could be dilapidated as mine was. There are many things to check but these are fantastic bikes in my opinion and most likely you'll be able to sort this out and have many years of enjoyment from it.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 Honda VTX1300 S
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since there was a recall for this item for this year & model, I figured I would call tomorrow (Monday) or Tuesday and inquire at the local Honda dealer. I figured that is where I needed to start. Thanks for reading my post and confirming the best starting point.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Since there was a recall for this item for this year & model, I figured I would call tomorrow (Monday) or Tuesday and inquire at the local Honda dealer. I figured that is where I needed to start. Thanks for reading my post and confirming the best starting point.
It's no problem at all man. If you were closer I'd happily lend a hand. It's hard for me to type out every little possible thing. It's much easier to just jump in and do it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's no problem at all man. If you were closer I'd happily lend a hand. It's hard for me to type out every little possible thing. It's much easier to just jump in and do it.

i recently purchased a 2004, 1300S with 3400 miles. i was skeptical of the mileage at first until i did two things. examined the tank and saw rust and the 2 tires on the bike were oem dunlops and marked 03/ as in 2003. this bike basically did not run beyond idle.

i started at the tank and replaced the fuel line, cleaned the carb, drained the bowl but the thing i did not do at the time was to change the petcock. when i cleaned the inside of the tank (sort of) i pulled out the old strainer, it was in pcs but that may have been from the chain i put in to shake the rust loose. i bought a new strainer (oem amazon $18) and put it in. i did these things and the bike ran good for about 100 miles. then it started breaking up at the top end of second gear. i felt around the petcock and got gas on my fingers, looked and saw there was a very small leak near the vacuum line and beneath the bike was a very small pool of gas.

i purchased a petcock on amazon for 25. (i am not an oem kind of guy). installed it and i'm good. one problem with the chinese petcock though it is 90 degrees off. on is pointing towards the rear, off is pointing down and reserve is pointing forward. (i hope). ps i paid 18 dollars for the strainer on amazon it was oem. the new $25 chinese petcock included a strainer. live and learn. if nothing else, i now have an extra strainer.

by the way i did nothing with the tank when i changed the petcock. i loosened it, the petcock, until a small stream was flowing and drained the gas right into a five gallon gas container, when it was empty i removed the old one and installed the new one. easy money.

last pic is a simple mod for what has to be the dumbest kickstand arrangement i have ever seen. good way to have a big problem leaning over to push that stand down by hand. just went in hardware bin and pulled out first thing i thought would work and welded it on.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts

there is a statute of limitations on recalls. the time varies but the greatest from the date of original sale is 15 years. somehow getting that would be miraculous but at 2007 you may be under the wire.

·
Super Moderator
12,577 Posts
ncountyline, congrats on all your good work. Not only do you have a good running bike now but you also have the satisfaction of having done the work yourself and saved some money on parts in the process.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ncountyline, congrats on all your good work. Not only do you have a good running bike now but you also have the satisfaction of having done the work yourself and saved some money on parts in the process.
thanks, Vinish. i have been a welding/metal fab sub for about 40 years and because of that i tend to be obsessive about pricing. i posted this because i saw some videos that suggest removing the tank, removing speedo and so on. so it's an option for the OP. mine looks like a hack but i did duct tape the funnel to the container. once drained it was an easy swap out. It kills me that they want 160 or so for a simple petcock; i also suspect that a lot of the negative reviews you see for the cheap ones listed on amazon are from OEM sellers. lol in the end it's just an on/off valve.

·
Super Moderator
5,759 Posts
Since your problems started immediately after running the tank dry, I would expect that some dirt / rust / ethanol sludge etc. was pulled into the carb with the last of the fuel. I would suggest adding Seafoam (fuel stabilizer) into the tank at a rate of 1 or 2 ounces per gallon and ride out a good part of the tank (if possible) to see if that might help to dissolve the contaminants. I personally add Seafoam to my fuel tank after my last ride of the year to stabilize the fuel through out the winter. If this doesn't help then you probably have some solid sediment in the jets and the carb will need a tear down and cleaning. Also, if you end up having to tear into the carb there is a small fuel filter inside the nipple where the fuel line connects to the carb, I would check that filter first before tearing the carb apart!

·
Registered
2007 Honda VTX1300 S
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since your problems started immediately after running the tank dry, I would expect that some dirt / rust / ethanol sludge etc. was pulled into the carb with the last of the fuel. I would suggest adding Seafoam (fuel stabilizer) into the tank at a rate of 1 or 2 ounces per gallon and ride out a good part of the tank (if possible) to see if that might help to dissolve the contaminants. I personally add Seafoam to my fuel tank after my last ride of the year to stabilize the fuel through out the winter. If this doesn't help then you probably have some solid sediment in the jets and the carb will need a tear down and cleaning. Also, if you end up having to tear into the carb there is a small fuel filter inside the nipple where the fuel line connects to the carb, I would check that filter first before tearing the carb apart!
I've been away from the Cafe for some time. In the meantime, I have continued to experience the problem with flooding carb, so bad the last time that the fuel melted part of my airbox. I am currently searching for an airbox.

But the good news is that I cleaned and rebuilt the carburetor, re-installed it, resealed the fuel tank to avoid any debris flowing into the carb, installed an inline fuel filter (temporary for the moment). The bike actually runs pretty well after adjusting the A/F mixture over a period of days. Not quite there yet, as the airbox has additional airholes in it (from the melted portion).

Pretty happy with the results up to this point. Disappointed that the airbox is on backorder from Honda, and has been since before August.

So that's the update.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts