Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I let my baby sit for a few months and I went out to crank her up and let her run for a bit. She ran for a few minutes, but she sputtered something awful and then she shut off. I pushed the choke back in and then pulled it back out and cranked her again. She ran a few minutes and then cut off. I think it's my carburetor because she's been sitting for a while.

Question: Is there an additive I can put in the tank, let it sit for a bit and then run her? I'd like to try this first before I take her to the shop.

I think I have some time to make this work. Please let me know.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
691 Posts
You could syphon out as much gas as you can from the tank, fill it with fresh gas, and put in seafoam into the fresh gas. Then run it for that tank, and refill again with fresh gas and seafoam.

You may need to run the bike with more throttle to keep it running.

If that doesn't work, then you might need to open up the carb.

·
Super Moderator
10,556 Posts
You can try putting a product called Seafoam in the tank at about twice the dosing rate listed on the bottle. However, to get this into the carb and have it clean the carb, you have to take the bike out and run most of the tank through it. This may not be possible given its poor state of running. You should also pull the sparkplugs and see what they look like. It is possible that excessive use of the choke has caused them to get really black. If so, clean them with a brass wire brush, reinsert using anti-seize, and tighten per spec. Then try starting bike again. Also, check that connections at the battery posts are tight. Use a wrench or socket for this not a screwdriver.

·
Registered
329 Posts
So, I let my baby sit for a few months and I went out to crank her up and let her run for a bit. She ran for a few minutes, but she sputtered something awful and then she shut off. I pushed the choke back in and then pulled it back out and cranked her again. She ran a few minutes and then cut off. I think it's my carburetor because she's been sitting for a while.

Question: Is there an additive I can put in the tank, let it sit for a bit and then run her? I'd like to try this first before I take her to the shop.

I think the vacuum hose to the pet cock is leaking and it is not getting enough gas to keep it running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts

Sea Foam Green gas treatment. Good Luck with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pull the fuel feeder hose off the petcock and drain out that old gas. Take off gas cap and it will flow out quicker. Fill with good stuff like Chevron with Techron or Shell V-Power. Add Seaform like others have recommended. All that will clean out the varnish the builds up in the carb from sitting. May run like a little rough and smoke a bit for about a quarter tank til it cleans it all out, especially the float valve and jet. May The Road Be Ever In Your Favor.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts

If you used the choke that’s why.
I would never pull the choke out more than 1/4 inch and as soon as it will run on its own shut it off.
the choke in these bikes is your enemy as it dumps tone of gas into it and will fluid and foul the plugs.
I‘d also open up the A/F up a quarter turn if you have to use it all the time to start and if you know how. 1300’s are set lean from the factory when new to pass the EPA. I rarely use the choke unless it’s below 45*.
Doug

·
Registered
15 Posts

If your VTX runs and then shuts off, and does that again, then there could be a problem with the tank ventilation. A vacuum in the tank will stop the fuel flow. There is a black hose underneath the tank, at the lower end close to the seat. Make sure it is properly connected.
There is also a vent built-in the gas cap. Remove that rubber gasket and soak the cap in rubbing alcohol. Dry well (use compressed air) and re-install.
If your carb is gunky get the SEAFOAM Spray. Remove the air filter cover and the air filter. If you open & close the throttle you can see that brass cylinder inside the carb going up and down. Spray that carb cleaner onto that cylinder and that needle below while turning the throttle. This should loosen / clean the moving parts and remove dirt from the nozzle / jet. Start the engine and let it run several seconds (white smoke coming from the mufflers). Repeat that spray on cleaning procedure until all parts move easily (look shiny).
Good luck!

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
If your VTX runs and then shuts off, and does that again, then there could be a problem with the tank ventilation. A vacuum in the tank will stop the fuel flow. There is a black hose underneath the tank, at the lower end close to the seat. Make sure it is properly connected.
There is also a vent built-in the gas cap. Remove that rubber gasket and soak the cap in rubbing alcohol. Dry well (use compressed air) and re-install.
If your carb is gunky get the SEAFOAM Spray. Remove the air filter cover and the air filter. If you open & close the throttle you can see that brass cylinder inside the carb going up and down. Spray that carb cleaner onto that cylinder and that needle below while turning the throttle. This should loosen / clean the moving parts and remove dirt from the nozzle / jet. Start the engine and let it run several seconds (white smoke coming from the mufflers). Repeat that spray on cleaning procedure until all parts move easily (look shiny).
Good luck!
The choke is Flooding it out. Never pull it out more than 1/4”:eek:ut never use the choke to keep it running more than one minute.
Also the AF is set to lean and should be opened up 1/4 turn. I Never need my choke unless it’s blow 45*.
Doug

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm sure you guys know a bit more about carbs on this style bike than me, but I have an 06 vtx1800f. With the race tuner on it in this cold weather, it idles up around 2000rpms for several minutes while it's getting to operating temp. I live in the south and it's been around freezing of late, so the length of time the core stays out will depend on the weather also.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
I'm sure you guys know a bit more about carbs on this style bike than me, but I have an 06 vtx1800f. With the race tuner on it in this cold weather, it idles up around 2000rpms for several minutes while it's getting to operating temp. I live in the south and it's been around freezing of late, so the length of time the core stays out will depend on the weather also.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Hold on. The 1800 is fuel is fuel injected and controlled by an ECM.
Now the 1300 is carbureted. You have to understand one word here and that is EPA. In order to pass EPA standards Honda had to lean the carberator out a lot the point it would barely run when it was cold and the choke (gas floodder) was needed to keep it started until it warmed up and in the meantime fouling the plugs. Years age I went threw this.
the AF needs to be opened up to 2 1/2 turns.
In warm wether above 45* I may need the choke for at the most 1/2 minute. Below 45* maybe 1 minute.
normally all summer after sitting all night I do not use or need the choke.

BUT DO NOT PULL THE CHOKE OUT MORE THAN 1/4” .
So I guess I don’t know anything about these bikes.
Doug.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts