·
Too short for my weight
5,711 Posts
Made it to Gilu safe, first one in

·
Super Moderator
11,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I arrived in Welch at about 4:30 and am the first one in the house next to the Gilu. I just saw fishingfoolemjak's bike at the other end of the lot. It is hot here but isn't it always hot for the WV ride :)

Reactions: Fishingfoolemjak

·
Registered
17,418 Posts
Mechajob got here before lunch, we rode to the 1889 Johnstown Flood Memorial, then had lunch, and rode out to Flight 93 Memorial, returned to my house and took the car for dinner to get pizza so I could take some home to the wife, now we be chillin' in da house and will hit the trail south @ 7AM. Rain, please stay away. Coming via 219 & 52 from the east.

Reactions: IndyX

·
Registered
17,418 Posts
Reactions: Fishingfoolemjak

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
8,011 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I got home about 2:00 today. Hit a little bit of rain on I26 just north of the NC/TN border. I found a VERY tough road that I recommend any experienced riders in that area give a try. It is TN state Rt. 80 from US19 near Rosedale, TN south to Meadowview, TN. The long weekend was awesome as always. We had a great ride from Welch to Marion, VA on the Back of the Dragon and part of the head of the Dragon on our return trip on Friday. The official group ride on Sat. was great as always. We went north from Welch and eventually went thru Oceana and Man before taking US52 back to Welch. It was good to see folks again after having missed the last two rides. I hope to be back next year.

I hope everyone made it home safely.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I returned home about 4:30 this afternoon. I had about 1100 miles for the weekend. I did about 3/4's of the Hellbender on the way down on Thursday. Great day on Back of the Dragon and Head of the Dragon Friday. Great ride Saturday and cook out. Good to see everyone again.
I took a test ride on Deuce's/Bruce's V-Strom this morning. It's everything he said it was. I came back with a grin on my face and another reason to buy an adventure bike. It was a blast to ride. He then lit up my phone with lots of suggestions of ways to spend my money.
Ouch, the shower mats at the Count Gilu in WV. are not just there for decoration. I slipped and crashed. I must have kicked the edge of the tub on the way down. It hurts but I'll live. I think my pride hurts more. Foot  WV.jpg Foot  WV.jpg

·
Fastest Red Club Member
8,011 Posts
That looks as painful as Fran's bike problems.

·
Super Moderator
11,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Fran, Sorry to hear about your problems. Rick and I were discussing the problem and agreed that it being an intermittent electrical problem, it is VERY hard to diagnose. One thing we thought of was to do a complete gas tank swap with another VTX1800 that has an in-tank fuel pump and then start/ride your bike. If the problem is a bad fuel pump (which is inside the tank), then having the new tank/fuel pump on your bike should solve the problem. If the problem is a wire somewhere outside the tank that has a hole in the insulation and that periodically shorts out, then the problem will persist even after the tank swap. Likewise, the "healthy" donor bike will have problems with the fuse blowing if the problem is the fuel pump. Just an idea to help with the diagnosis of the problem. Best of luck and please keep us informed.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
8,011 Posts
Seems likely to be a wire rubbing somewhere as it's happening on the road.
Would help if you have wiring diagram to see what is common with the fuel pump etc.

·
Registered
17,418 Posts
After the fuse first popped near Elkins, it went 200 miles all the way to Welch w/o being babied and ran like a top. After Garry and I got it home and dropped it at my friend's shop, and I described everything and how it ran, he agreed with me that it's NOT the fuel pump, but more likely a wiring issue with the RTB setup. He has 2 bikes in there ahead of me, but I'm not in any hurry, and I know he'll eventually find/ fix it. I will ride again. After what I went through this weekend, all the help shown, and telling it all to Linda, I have her half convinced to go to the Fall event ( in the car) to get away for a couple days and personally meet and experience the great communal family we all have with Jimmy & all. I have room #1 @ the Count reserved already, so she wouldn't have to do steps. I hope it happens. I'm really thinking of a small bike trailer and hitch for the Equinox.
We got home about 4 PM yesterday after a brief stop @ Flt. 93 and an Amish store/ bakery. Cleaned up and went to dinner, and Garry spent the night here and will return home today after seeing if he can get a rear bumper for his rusted out one from a local huge salvage yard. For those who FB, let everyone know how appreciated it was that there was so much concern and help from all the Welch family. Esp. Jimmy, Beth, Renee & Mark Howell, Garry McCoy, and all the others. I am forever in yinz' debt. Love yinz all.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Glad you and the bike are home. Garry is really there for everyone. He is always willing to do whatever he can.
The wiring problem will bug me till I hear of the fix. I'm thinking the saddle bag lights or the RTB. The fuel pump was an interesting suggestion.
I hope you gave the mechanic your fuse assortment

Reactions: PaXman11

·
WTF, Over!
8,361 Posts
Quick addendum to the ride:

Warren Crussenberry, ItsCruz here at the Cafe' (not sure if he gets on here much any more...), had a breakdown hauling the equipment and such home that he and Sam had for the prep they do for the ride. Grill etc...the truck they have over-heated because of a bad/leaky radiator. They were in an area with out cell service. No one stopped until a Trooper came along

There is a Paypal account to help him out as this was a pretty expensive breakdown with out of town towing, parts and repairs. He and Sam are retirees, so money is always being watched carefully (I know THAT feeling).

Warren and Sam have been taking care of the Friday and Saturday food and helping with set-up almost since the beginning (cooking at least 6 years of the 11 th eWV Ride has been going on).
I have been on Facebook letting every one know, and PM'ing interested parties the Paypal for Warren and Sam.
Any one interested in helping these fine folks out, ask and I can PM you the Paypal (Warren and Sam do not like the idea of it open in the public view...which is very understandable).
No pressure, but any one who would like to send a little something, PM me and I'll get you the link.

·
Premium Member
2,322 Posts
I Left Fran's this am after a nights rest and a personal tour of the areas sights, stopped and got some fruit, at a local farmers market. made it home without incident, now have to retrieve my bike from Judi's. before she starts riding it she did real well on the ride, again thanks charlie for your lead, and the rest of you who encouraged her. we were hitting 70mph on 119 on the way home/(she does not even drive her car that fast) when we were getting close to her place she was still stoked. Thanks for the great weekend and it was great to see you all.

·
Super Moderator
5,618 Posts
I returned home about 4:30 this afternoon. I had about 1100 miles for the weekend. I did about 3/4's of the Hellbender on the way down on Thursday. Great day on Back of the Dragon and Head of the Dragon Friday. Great ride Saturday and cook out. Good to see everyone again.
I took a test ride on Deuce's/Bruce's V-Strom this morning. It's everything he said it was. I came back with a grin on my face and another reason to buy an adventure bike. It was a blast to ride. He then lit up my phone with lots of suggestions of ways to spend my money.
Ouch, the shower mats at the Count Gilu in WV. are not just there for decoration. I slipped and crashed. I must have kicked the edge of the tub on the way down. It hurts but I'll live. I think my pride hurts more. View attachment 242267 View attachment 242267
View attachment 242267
]
Trade ya injuries Rick!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :devilish: 😱 :ROFLMAO:

21 - 40 of 45 Posts