Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a 21W in American automotive terms? 1150?

It's the rear turn signal on my '06 1300.

The automotive stores can't find a cross reference

Also, where can I get it in red? I put in a module to add the rear turn signals as tail lights. I though maybe changing the bulbs to red(if they are available) would be cheaper than replacing the lenses

Thanks,
jim

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
Unless you're running with smoked lenses, the covers should be red on rear signals, if you're running signals as running lights, they HAVE to be red, either red bulb w/smoked lenses, or red lenses w/clear bulb, that would be a dual filiment type bulb, not unlike the front bulbs. So I'm thinking it would be 1157 bulb. Now that I thibk about it, depending on what kit you have, you may need LED or some type of halogen bulbs to work with the kit.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
If you are using the Kryuakyn Triple Whammy then you can still use your single filament bulb since it works all independant but like was said you need either smoked lenses with red bulbs or red lenses; customcruisers.com sell either with chrome besel for about $30. a 1156 or for more light a 2156 bulb will work fine if you are running the Triple Whammy

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The current bulbs work fine but I need to find some red bulbs, some how change the color of the current bulbs or buy new lenses.

The 21W question is, what do you replace them with in good ol' American automotive terms/numbers?

Thanks,
Jim

The module is a Priority Plus which works just fine.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The GE part number is P21W for the single filament bulb and P21/5W for the dual. Walmart has them so I would think an auto parts store would also.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The GE part number is P21W for the single filament bulb and P21/5W for the dual. Walmart has them so I would think an auto parts store would also.
I was at Pep Boys and Advance Auto today. I will try WalMart tomorrow.

Thanks,
Jim

I did get some red lens material today. I shaped a piece to fit into the original lens. I put it on the bike to see how it looks. From the rear it is red, from the side it is amber with the side of the original lens still showing.

Anyone know if that's a problem?

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
AS far as I know concerning the color of rear running lights, they have to be completly red, no amber/orange showing what so ever. Check your state laws concerning this to save you from a ticket/fine.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
AS far as I know concerning the color of rear running lights, they have to be completly red, no amber/orange showing what so ever. Check your state laws concerning this to save you from a ticket/fine.
+1...No amber running lights to the rear of a vehicle allowed in all 50 states...Only amber turn signals allowed to the rear...

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
+1...No amber running lights to the rear of a vehicle allowed in all 50 states...Only amber turn signals allowed to the rear...
That confirms my assumption, I don't know how rigorous a cop might be enforcing this, but I wouldn't want to take any chances. :hmm2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts