Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's extremely early but I'm a professional procrastinator and I haven't been spending as much time as I like on the Cafe lately so I'm posting it now (plus I've just confirmed my vacation dates for all of 2013....we pick our dates for the year the start to mid November).

Anyway, I'm hosting another tech session making this my 2nd and as I said last year I hope to make it an annual event. This years around the same time frame as last but for an added bonus, I'm planning this one at the end of the Outer Banks Bike Week. OBX Bike week runs from April 20th to the 28th this year (well actually next year since it will be 2013) and I'm planning the tech session for the 26th, 27th, and 28th. If as a group others think the next weekend (which runs into cinco de mayo) would be better, then I can change to that before it gets to close.

I will again post up addresses, phone numbers, and general info of the nearest hotels/motels but as those that attended last year can attest, they're not close. I'm on 3 acres so camping is possible (yes, campfires are allowed), I've got an RV connection if someone wants to hook up for electric (my dad recently tested it out with his RV which he drove from the west coast) and I've got plenty of room for parking. I should have at least two bedrooms available inside the house and may even have more rooms available and can make the den available for sleeping although there is no doors to it and only a couch.

I'm not going to cook as much this year but will do some cooking again but probably not as large a spread as last years. As of right now, I'm thinking just chicken and burgers but may fire up the smoker if receive enough "peer pressure".

Now to simplify it all......
Tech Session April 26, 27, 28 of 2013
188 Providence Drive
Moyock, NC 27958 (about 45 minutes from the Outer Banks NC and the same from Virginia Beach, VA)
it's about four miles from the VA/NC state line and the north eastern most part of NC.
Contact phone number: 757-621-6282 (verizon wireless if it matters).

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Brandon, I dont know, I think we came close to running out of food last year:bleh:. will put it on the calender, might take in OBX first. since I missed it last year. would like to see the Outer Banks. Put in a request for dryer weather this year.

·
Black Label Society
168 Posts
Just under 8 hrs from home.. is there a distance record set for these tech sessions yet? Lol

I'd like to attend, but don't know if I want to tackle that distance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using tapatalk 2

·
Official Fuddy Duddy
1,756 Posts
Put me down for certain. Will try to bring the Missus along since she is an official passenger now and deserves to have some of your BBQ.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tracy: If you can confirm the Missus is coming, I'll fire up the smoker just for her. Otherwise it's still 50/50 chance of it.
As for the weather Garry, I know last years wasn't that great but it seems to rain every other year at bike week and since last years bike week was rained out, this year should be good.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi Brandon,

Sounds cool. For those of us new to the forums, what is typically covered during these tech sessions? Is there anything in particular we need to bring? Is there a fee? Sorry if this has been explained somewhere else - I did do a quick search but didn't see a thread outlining what to expect. If there's a forum post somewhere describing them, a link will suffice.

Thanks!

Craig

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Craig good question.....I hadn't really thought about covering that. Anyway there isn't usually a set topic that ours covered. Some tech sessions do come together as plans for certain projects while others (my last one and this one as well) are just get togethers to do whatever we want or need to our bikes. Sometimes it's as simple as changing the oil or as complex doing the valve adjustment (which seems a lot scarier than out actually is). At my last session we did a couple of scar mods and changed the front fork springs on a couple off bikes.
If you have specific maintenance or modification plans you can ask and sometimes they can be done. Usually those attending don't need to being anything more than what's needed for their bike (oil, filters,etc).
I don't know of anyone that charges fees and don't think they'd be hosting many sessions if they did.
I don't think I added my Phone number to the original post but will later. If you have any specific requests you can call, pm me, or as you did post your question in the thread.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Craig good question.....I hadn't really thought about covering that. Anyway there isn't usually a set topic that is covered. Some tech sessions do come together as plans for certain projects while others (my last one and this one as well) are just get togethers to do whatever we want or need to our bikes. Sometimes it's as simple as changing the oil or as complex doing the valve adjustment (which seems a lot scarier than it actually is). At my last session we did a couple of scar mods and changed the front fork springs on a couple off bikes.
If you have specific maintenance or modification plans you can ask and sometimes they can be done. Usually those attending don't need to bring anything more than what's needed for their bike (oil, filters,etc).
I don't know of anyone that charges fees and don't think they'd be hosting many sessions if they did.
I don't think I added my Phone number to the original post but will later. If you have any specific requests you can call, pm me, or as you did post your question in the thread.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks, Brandon. I greatly appreciate the information. Sounds interesting. I'll see how my schedule starts to stack up closer to the date and may end up attending; I'll let you know if I'm able. As I've stated elsewhere, it's great to be a part of this community!

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Thanks, Brandon. I greatly appreciate the information. Sounds interesting. I'll see how my schedule starts to stack up closer to the date and may end up attending; I'll let you know if I'm able. As I've stated elsewhere, it's great to be a part of this community!
Tech sessions serve a few purposes.
1. you get to meet people who make up the dysfunctional family of the cafe (loads of fun)
2. If you have something that needs done to your bike, but are afraid to do, someone will step up and help you out. At the central Ohio tech, I needed some electrical work done for turn signals, someone came over and just started doing it. It worked great cause I had no clue what I was doing.
3. If you have no clue how to work on your bike, great place to learn. There will be a lot of great teachers there who are more than willing to spread the knowledge.

I hope you can make it out there, I am going to add this session to my list of, If the wife lets me rides.

·
Premium Member
2,299 Posts
I would stay away from Brandons Tech session, He has way to much to eat at them !!:icon_drun on the other hand it is nice to contribute some $ towards the food, helps defray the cost

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess this thread needs a bump............I haven't spent much time online since the accident.
I did make a lot of food last year and although I don't plan on making as much but I'm sure there will be plenty since the wife and I both like to cook.
Not sure what else to add at this point.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Time for a bump and hoping it's not too late for those that want to attend to make the arangements. I haven't spent much time on the internet and even less here at the Cafe for a while. I had been considering not hosting again this year and the wife says I started the planning so I need to go through with it. My biggest adversaries to hosting was my injuries (I'm almost back to where I was before the wreck) and getting the time off work. I had the time scheduled but due to the time off work, all my vacation was used. I have managed to swap a couple of days with coworkers so I'm now off for the entire weekend (and a couple days during bike week).
Not sure what else to say at this point other than I'm looking forward to this and like I said before, if you've got questions, feel free to ask. My info is on the first post.

This doesn't have to be VTX only.....those members here that aren't currently riding a VTX are also welcome to come socialize, meet other members, and possible have work done.

I am about five minutes south of the VA/NC state line in Moyock, NC. I am 50 minutes from Naval Base Norfolk (NOB) and maybe 50 minutes from the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

The nearest HONDA dealership is Turners Honda in Elizabeth City, NC.
Not sure of the address right now but I know it's Eringhaus St. and they close at 2:00p.m on Saturday and they are closed on Sunday. 252-335-5489 is the phone number and turnershonda.com is the website.

Nearest lodging is:
Trisha's Bed and Breakfast of Moyock
192 Caratoke Highway
Moyock, NC 27958
(252) 232-0301
There are only four or five rooms available and not the cheapest but definitely the closest.

Traverlers Inn (Elizabeth City, NC...20.9 miles from me) 1211 N. Road St.
Elizabeth City, NC 27906
252-338-5451

Midway Marina and Motel (Coinjock, NC....22.9 miles from me) 157 Coinjock Development Road
Barco, NC 27917
252-453-3625

Barry's Walnut Island (Grandy, NC 31.83......miles from me but "biker friendly" for sure as they host several events during the OBX bike week but may be completely booked)
169 Walnut Island Blvd
Grandy, NC 27939
252-453-2261
There are several other locations in Elizabeth city that are around 22-25 miles from me.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm still planning on hosting although there doesn't seem to be much interest this year. Is it bad timing, lack of updates (my fault due to accident), or just a lack of interest? Should I try and reschedule for a different date further into the season/year? Any advice would be taken into consideration.
I'm not going to cancel this and at most may change the date but it's still going to happen.

·
Official Fuddy Duddy
1,756 Posts
We are still going to be in the area Brandon. Hope to at least get to visit with you and the family. Will be going up and down the OBX Saturday. Have hotel reservations for Friday night.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tracy: If you want to come in early or stay longer, you're more than welcome to stay at my place. The only day I'm scheduled to work during the bike week is Tuesday the 23rd (Well I guess Sunday the 21st counts as well). The kids will be in school during the day so the wife and I are going to be riding down just about every day (at least we are planning on trying to).

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
This needs another bump!!! Ok...Who's still in???? I'll be in and out since I found out that I am working Fri, Sat and Sun...but will there there during off times...I need steering bearings and a valve adjustment...Not sure how that's going to work...but somehow , that's the tentative plan...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts