Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the Honda dealer for a replacement key and they said it would be a week's wait and $15/key. I think I quit listening after they said a week's wait. They claimed they had to send them away to be cut.:hmm2:

I then went to Lowe's and told them the Toyota 31 blank would work...but the original Honda key would not allow their machine to cut as it wouldn't go in far enough to disengage the idiot mechanism.:banghead:

I then went to Ace Hardware and eureka, I got 3 keys cut for less than $7.50 even with giving the government their share (aka 8.25% tax). Keys worked in the ignition and fuel tank without a problem.

The keys were HD75's and here are some pics for those that have an ACE hardware nearby.:mosh: Also some "proof" of the price just in case there are some non-believers afoot...beats $45 at the dealer.:bleh: Figured I'd post up for those wanting to save some $$ on keys.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
$2.29 each?!?....Kinda high....ACE here did some for me a couple years ago for something like $1.50 each....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Must be the increased fuel prices...I am happy with the $7.50 and immediate delivery as compared to $45 and a week given I only had 1 key.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
912 Posts
A Honda dealer that dont make keys:hmm2:a week to get a key,is this a big dealership,or a one person operation?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A Honda dealer that dont make keys:hmm2:a week to get a key,is this a big dealership,or a one person operation?
I'd call it a mid-size dealership, they have a showroom with all the latest Hondas, service dept, off road showroom....just must not have a key cutter:rolleyes:

ya i don't carry only 1 arrow in my quiver ether.
Now you're speaking my language:cheers:

·
Klaatu Barada Nikto
1,807 Posts
well i know what i gotta do 2moro... thanks

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
gonna be a copycat and get two keys made for my 1300. Thanks for posting. Everything is pricier in NY, but even at 4 or 5 bucks a key it will be worth it to me. Bry :choppersm

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gonna be a copycat and get two keys made for my 1300. Thanks for posting. Everything is pricier in NY, but even at 4 or 5 bucks a key it will be worth it to me. Bry :choppersm
Here are the ACES Hardware stores near you, based on your profile...might want to call ahead and see if they cut keys and if they have HD75.
Costello's Ace Hardware
3.2 miles
2120 Middle Country Rd
Centereach, NY 11720

Costello's Ace Hardware
3.9 miles
246 Smithtown Blvd
Nesconset, NY 11767

Oakdale Paint & Hardware
5.8 miles
1460 Montauk Hwy
Oakdale, NY 11769

well i know what i gotta do 2moro... thanks
ACES for you

John W Weiss Ace Hardware
1.1 miles
1560 Waukegan Rd
Glenview, IL 60025

Skokie Ace Hardware
3.5 miles
5035 Oakton St
Skokie, IL 60077

Ace Park Ridge Inc
4.5 miles
700 N Northwest Hwy
Park Ridge, IL 60068

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
I wish I could have read this last week. I ran all over trying to get a key. Ace - none for a Honda motorcycle, Lowe's same situation.
Honda wanted $8 to $10 plus each.
I ended up going to a lock smith and got one for $6.35

Donut:patriot:Doug

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for sharing, going to have two made real soon. Maybe today! only problem our ace went out of business, guess ill try Lowes first then locksmith. :cheers:When I bought my bike it only came with one key so I freak out everytime I can't find it!

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,234 Posts
Gotta spare in my wallet from Ace. Whatever the price, it's waaayyy cheaper than any locksmith in Boonedock, Idaho.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I had a locksmith make me a couple of spares and used them for the ever popular "key-mod". Later I found out that the keys would pull out of the ignition whether it was on or not and I lost a key while riding. Fortunately for me, the mod wouldn't allow the key to work the gas cap and I had a stock key with me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts