Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2008 VTX1800T for about 14 months. 13K miles and have enjoyed every one of the. Visited a friend that had a 1800 of his own and was listening to him shift.
He short shifted and was in 4th gear while I was still in 2nd. That is fine as everyone like a differrent sound of the engine, but what intrigued me was 5th gear. He hit 5th gear and pulled away smooth at around 40-45, while I don't grab it until I am out of town and know I will be crusing over 60. 60mph in 4th in my ride feels just fine.
Main reason for this is that 5th gear very much slower than this and it will shudder like a hell if I roll on the throttle. Even at highway speed, I will drop into 4th for a quick smooth pass, then grab 5th only after.
Is this normal?
Should I expect to be able to wrap the throttle full open in 5th gear and not expect a shudder?

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
There's another thread on this very topic just today. We're haveing a Meet and Greet/Tech Session/ Swap Meet in West Memphis in Sept. Why don't you come and join us.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Very normal, if you twist it hard. Not so bad if you roll into it.

·
Sarge
643 Posts
As stated in the other thread....shudder is normal in 5th when accelerating from low speeds then cranking throttle....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts