Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
BUDBOWTIE
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 VTX 1300 R
Whether choked or not, sputters when starting up (regardless of temp), runs fine after 2-3 miles. If I stop on a ride to take a break, and fire it back up after 10-15 min, sputters and dies, then runs fine after a minute or so.
I have Cobra slash cuts and a K&N filter (just filter, no "kits").
Bike ran fine all the way from last June to this past February (when I had to use a bit more choke in the morning).
Have read in forums that an A/F screw adjustment is needed, but I am new to this. In the forums, they speak of "screw" and I am also wondering since it is a "twin carb", are there 2 screws?
How close are the recommended settings of "2 1/2 turns" given my setup?
Have not pulled the plugs yet as i am just beginning to research this. If they are "fouled", what is a good cleaning method? Or should I just replace them? If replacing, should I go stock, or is there a better brand or type? Any recommended gap change?
If environment makes a difference, I live in Florida and weather is generally mild year round.
If you have any pictures showing locations of the screw(s) I would appreciate it.
If anyone out there has been through this and can provide a bit of info, thank you for your help.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Not sure where you got your "twin carb" info :kidding:...There's only one carb on these bikes...I'd pull the plugs first and check them out...There's four plugs, two per cylinder...The chrome covers at the top of each cylinder just pull off...Very carefully wiggle them back and forth, and they'll release from the rubber grommets..Then you'll see the wires and plugs...

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
if plugs are fouled replace with champion RA8HC plugs.work great and only $1.49 ea.i would even check to see if battery connections are tight.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Everyone says dont use the choke at all. I just did a tune up on mine, plugs, valve adjust, ect., and dont use the choke any more. Big engines have a pump that shoots a stream of gas into the carb throat each time you twist the throttle, in the morning just twist a couple times and then fire it up. One thinng I dont like is the difference in idle between cold and hot running. In the morning I just keep it running with the throttle and by the time I hit the first stop sign, its usually warm enough to idle on its own. Using the choke fouls the plugs. The air-fuel screw is hard to get to and needs a special tool to adjust. I took my carb off to see how it came off for one and to replace the excel pump diafram and replace the cheep fuel line hose clamps that where just flopping around on the hose. While I had it off, I cut a slot in the air-fuel screw with a handy grinder, in case I ever wanted to mess with it. My bikes completely stock and was set at just over one and a half turns out. I can adjust it with a flat screw driver now, if I ever decide to. If your gonna work on your bike yourself, its a good idea to know how to do the basic stuff like carb, gas tank, wheel, air box removal, ect. I decided to do everything at once on mine, steering bearings, plugs, valve adjust, carb repairs, ect. Having the whole front end off the bike made it easy to get to the valves up front, hehehe. If you havent done it allready, download the service manual from this site. Its a big download, but well worth it. Have fun, heheheh.

·
BUDBOWTIE
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep. Pulled the plugs and though they are not shot totally, they are headed in that direction. Pretty obvious a few "misses" have occurred. So, aside from swapping them, what can I do to prevent this from happening in the future, given my setup of Cobra Classic slash cuts and K&N replacement filter? Thanks for any advice.

·
~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
11,589 Posts
bud: I followed the Scar method for carb tuning - it worked perfectly for me, and I found many others on this site with the same good results. I bought my bike new and it basically was hell to start from day one. This past Saturday, at 2400 miles, I put on new Cobra Speedsters and did the Scar method same day. Upon completion, turned the key and she fired right up - NO Choke req'd! And she runs like a scalded dog in all gears - no flat spots. Here is the Scar method carb tuning link with pics:

http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=3079&highlight=carb+scar+barttoday

Unfortunately, no pics of the A/F (aka pilot) screw, but it is on the bottom of the carb. It is hard to get to - I had to loosen the two hose clamps that hold the carb onto the manifold and (gently) tilt the carb up and out (without pulling it off the manifold) just so I could see and get to the D-shaped A/F post. Follow Scar's instructions exactly. I hope it works as well for you as it did for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts