Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone I am CharlieHorse and I am a new member to the Cafe and I just recently bought my 2005 VTX 1300 R, so I am completely unfamiliar with the feel of this bike. My question is when I pull away from a stop I feel some vibration as I throttle up, is this a normal feeling or should I get it checked out by a mechanic ?? Thanks for any help that can be offered.
Have a good evening and have a good Thanksgiving !

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
to little information..

also have you rode a Big V-Twin before... they vibrate for a reason.

and remember.. a big Honda V-Twin needs to spin.. its NOT a Harley..
so keep the RPM'S UP...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to little information..

also have you rode a Big V-Twin before... they vibrate for a reason.

and remember.. a big Honda V-Twin needs to spin.. its NOT a Harley..
so keep the RPM'S UP...
Thanks for your response Silver F. As far as the too little info, I really don't know how else to explain the feeling. As I said in my last post, as I pull away from a stop and go through the gears there is vibration in the entire bike that I am not used to. And no I have ridden Honda big V-twin until now, I am moving up to this bike from a Yamaha 950 Tourer, so I expect there to be some differences. So I guess the best thing for me to do is have someone locally that knows these bike to check it out to see if what I feel is just a normal function of this bike.
Again thank you for your response, Ride safe out there

·
Super Moderator
5,416 Posts
Thanks for your response Silver F. As far as the too little info, I really don't know how else to explain the feeling. As I said in my last post, as I pull away from a stop and go through the gears there is vibration in the entire bike that I am not used to. And no I have ridden Honda big V-twin until now, I am moving up to this bike from a Yamaha 950 Tourer, so I expect there to be some differences. So I guess the best thing for me to do is have someone locally that knows these bike to check it out to see if what I feel is just a normal function of this bike.
Again thank you for your response, Ride safe out there
You think this bike vibrates try riding a Harley V twin. Next time you pull up to a stop light next to a big Harley, look at the riders arms with is hands on the bars. They look like a blur, and that is just sitting there at an idle!!!!!

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,077 Posts
You think this bike vibrates try riding a Harley V twin. Next time you pull up to a stop light next to a big Harley, look at the riders arms with is hands on the bars. They look like a blur, and that is just sitting there at an idle!!!!!
That's a feature. Actually the new ones don't vibrate nearly as much because most people get annoyed with it. It's still there though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a feature. Actually the new ones don't vibrate nearly as much because most people get annoyed with it. It's still there though.
Oh yes Sir, I am well aware of the Harley shacking and vibrating at a stop, I have watching that for years now. But I thought that it kind of went away when under throttle. And this is just my first experience with a larger Honda motor. Thanks for your comment, I guess that I am over thinking this as I do in most cases. Ride safe and have a blessed day.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,077 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. You do get some "buzz" but shouldn't be crazy excessive shaking unless you're lugging engine.

Idle should be around 900 RPM nice and smooth with no lope like a Harley.

·
Registered
15,882 Posts
Like Silver said, these V twins don't like low rpm's, referred to here as "lugging". If you don't have a tach, you will develop your senses for the 'feel' of the sweet spot from 2500 rpm and up until you hit the rev limiter near 5500. The shaft drive is a different feel also, than chain or belt drives.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe, maybe not. You do get some "buzz" but shouldn't be crazy excessive shaking unless you're lugging engine.

Idle should be around 900 RPM nice and smooth with no lope like a Harley.
Ya know that mite be my problem, lugging the engine. I am shifting this 1300 at around the speed ( I don't have a tac ) as I did on my Yamaha 950, so that could be it. When I get some good weather I will put that to the test and run it up a bit faster before I shift out to next gear. Thanks for that bit of insight.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,077 Posts
Ya know that mite be my problem, lugging the engine. I am shifting this 1300 at around the speed ( I don't have a tac ) as I did on my Yamaha 950, so that could be it. When I get some good weather I will put that to the test and run it up a bit faster before I shift out to next gear. Thanks for that bit of insight.
Wind it out! You are not going to hurt it. Rev limiter won't let you.

I can tell you me and another member who was on here would hit an interstate ramp in 2nd and run up to 65 before clicking into 5th. His bike had well over 100k on it riding like that.

Ride it like you stole it. Just watch for cops. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wind it out! You are not going to hurt it. Rev limiter won't let you.

I can tell you me and another member who was on here would hit an interstate ramp in 2nd and run up to 65 before clicking into 5th. His bike had well over 100k on it riding like that.

Ride it like you stole it. Just watch for cops. :)
Okay, all good info to have, and I always have an eye out for the man. LOL !!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts