Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a scenario:

Take the fuel system apart from the tank to the carbs. totally apart, pieces, screws, gaskets and o rings everywhere! Put it all back together (correctly I suppose)... What kind of symptoms would you expect if I tore or somehow messed up the accelerator pump? torn, a tiny hole, or bad seal....

Stock VTX 1300c (2004) except K&N and Clayton 6 holes.

Thanks!

-Dave

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Hesitation when you open the throttle. Happens at all speeds.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Remove the air cleaner box cover and the air cleaner element so that you can see the pump squirt gas when you operate the plunger buy hand.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This little deal there just this side of the slider, right? A little brass nipple thing with a hole pointed toward the slider.... If so, that's not working. I pulled gasket maker out of it with a suture needle and a paperclip from the other side all night one night to get it open again. Anyway, no squirting when I twist the throttle. The only squirting is fuel around the needle/jet when 3/4 WOT. Guess I get to replace that little bugger. It sure looks okay, maybe there is some little hole in it or something. Who knows. I guess I'll order the part and change it. I do hate the idea of throwing parts at a problem and hoping it goes away.

Oh, and got my AF screw from Glen on today. It may have helped a little bit but not really... Now it stumbles from idle to low-mid range rpms. It didn't do that before. I'm out 2.5 turns. Or maybe it points to the accelerator pump as the problem. Seems I read somewhere that throughout the rpm range suggests the accelerator pump is the culprit. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
took everything apart again today. Port to the carb is clean. I did pull out a microturd of carb gasket maker. She's clean now, but still no squirt when I roll the throttle and still stumbling when I"m in low rpms... I'm guessing it's the accelerator pump. Crap, those are expensive. I guess cheaper than a new carbeurator.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what cover what book? Everything was apart, needle, slider, main jet, idle jet, float boal.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
you can download a service manual from this site.

http://www.forum.mdxiles.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=478

there is a cover on the bottom of the float bowl it has 3 screws you can take out then the diaphragm will come out along with a spring.

You need to take it apart and inspect it and then you can even clean the ports to and from it better.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
http://s570.photobucket.com/albums/ss147/DuckCutter1/?action=view&current=100_3340.mp4

Above is a soundbite of the problem. It pulls well at speed, idles fine, just can't get off it's butt at the line.

Charlie, sure did take the cover off. Cleaned the rod, it's all intact and feels like good rubber. Didn't see any holes but i guess pinpoint holes might not show up until under pressure...either way, no dice. Good thought though, thanks.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
if you pump that rod and fuel doesn't squirt through the tube in the carb opening then you have to find out why.

I would pull the bowl back off take it apart use pipe cleaners on the hole in the bowl and blow it out with an air nozzle then I would do the same thing to the carb body.

I am on dial up here so sound bites and video just won't play for me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
put everything back together after getting lots of crap out of the carb side of the accelerator pump (brass square rod in the round hole) and now she runs like crap. Wont get above 25 mph and about 1500 rpm. Won't take anything from the throttle side. Idles fine, fires up fine, just won't go anywhere. My guess is maybe a vacuum block somewhere? We'll see when I'm not pissed off enough to go out and just kick the thing over on its side...

·
Klaatu Barada Nikto
1,807 Posts
what is the A/F set at mine did that before i changed the A/F to 2 1/2 out it sounds like its hesitating on yours.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've put myself in the firing squad already. No problem. a/f screw makes no difference, it always stumbles.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
OK - It sounds like you did not get the slide gasket in the right position. This has to perfectly aligned or it blocks the vacuum passage that lifts the slide. Take the top back off and remove the cap and gasket. The gasket has a small tit on it and this tit MUST align with a notch on the carb body. Also look at the bottom of the cap - I believe there is a slot that must also align with the tiny hole in the gasket.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First off, slider gasket is in correctly now, works great....However,

Put a new accelerator pump in it tonight. Old one did feel a little brittle when comparing it to the new one. STILL STUMBLING LIKE A DRUNK OLD LADY. WTF? I'm seriously contemplating dumping the bike at some non-dealership motorcycle shop and telling them to just fix the thing. I think my last ditch effort will be to replace all the tubing in the vacuum system and try again. Cant figure out if I should do the PAIR valve removal (got the plates ordered) or wait to get her back to "stock" and running worth a piss. Ya know, that old addage about not changing too many things at once because you won't know what made it better...or in my case worse. If anyone has any ideas that haven't been previously mentioned (I've tried each one of them already) let me know.

could it be my throttle position sensor is out? Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So here is the final straw. I treated the tank with por15. Waited the four days for it to dry and put everything back together. The qtip in the vent hole apparently was not sufficient and so I needed to open the tank vent. I then proceeded to try and open the tank vent plug with a long small philips screwdriver. Cleaned it out so I thought. Hooked everything back up including replaced all vacuum tubing with new stuff, did the pair valve mod, scar mod and the damn thing still stumbles till it dies when blipping the throttle. New accelerator pump and new petcock gasket set did nothing for my issues. Oh and the petcock leaks like a mutha. And the tank vent tubing pisses the gas away like I poked through something important. man I'm pissed off. Got a guy that several of the local shops/stealerships use for their metric bike customers and he'll be receiving this POS and I'm telling him to fix the thing where it runs right. Looks like the steal deal I made on the bike will be recouped with all these repair bills that are coming my way. Great end to the day. Peace out.

Stock needle now with no shims

Oh yah, forgive me. Thank you to all of you who have contributed to this thread trying to help me fix whatever is still wrong with the bike. I'll let you know what the guy finds so hopefully whoever has a similar problem will be able to benefit from this thread in the future.

Anyway, thank you all

Dave

·
Registered
114 Posts
Please keep us posted on what ends up happening with the bike,I am curious as to what is not working properly.I thought you had it nailed down w/the carb cleaning & the new parts.Once you have her up n running proper,this will just be part of the learning curve,trial & error is a PIA !!! I have cost myself quite a few $$$ on my baby..lol..thats life for me :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts