Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how many of you have been in a significant accident in here? If you were, how gun shy were you about getting back on and riding off again? I have been just waiting to get back on my bike and go, and I was just wondering if I am going to be gun shy getting back on and riding. I was rear ended about 4 weeks ago and after seeing the bike and everything I was just curious. This is my bike after it was rear ended. These are not the best pictures of the bike, but you can get the idea. The top of the frame towards the gas tank was bent and the lower frame actually bucked out from getting it. I was hit from behind and then the driver freaked out and swerved and hit me on the right side of the bike. We were doing about 60 mph. :banghead:

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
I crashed mine in April 2009....Missed a corner and left the road, hit my head into the ground at about 45 mph with no helmet...Fixed the bike myself in about 5-1/2 weeks and went out for a ride...:choppersm

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
You may be a little gun shy, but just be ready for it so it doesn't come as a surprise. Nobody can tell you how you will be or how you should be. Just take it as it comes and reach out to all of us here when you are ready to give it a try. I've been there and had no problem getting back on it, but it wasn't as bad as yours and I am not you. Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't post about the injuries, the doctors could not believe I was the one in the accident when I got to the emergency room. I only had whip lash, a concussion, a very small (1/4") crack in my lower rib, bruised ribs, and a bruised hip and pelvic. I was lucky as H3ll from this accident, the kid was drinking and also texting on his phone at the time of the accident, he never got a ticket from the accident. I laid in the road for about 15 minutes before i figured out what had actually happened and I then crawled off the road trying to get up but was in shock to bad and was to dazed to get up right away. after about 25 minutes I drug my bike off the road and was still waiting for the cops. At this point I called my wife to let her know I was going to be late and she immediately came down because it happened less then a mile from my house. after about 35 minutes she called the cops and ambulance (we thought this had already been done but nobody had responded yet) to find out the kid never called 911 after the accident, he just kept texting people the whole time. I remember at one point the kid (he was 19) came up to me and said "hey can I just give you my insurance information and leave?" I looked at the kid and told him that if I could have gotten up I would have made sure he was in the bed next to me lol. :spank: but most of it is a blur. I was looking at the VTX1800 a week before my accident contemplating whether or not to trade in my Harley. After I got out of the hospital I immediately called the dealership and asked them if I could put a hold on the VTX until I got my insurance check the next week. The salesman said "we don't need a hold on this bike, a handshake is as good as money in my book" I went down this last monday and trailered the bike home and have been excited about it ever since. I can't wait to get back on, but I was just curious as to what repercussions were to come of this yet. I have always been a careful driver, I have always saw the dangers ahead ie deer, cars, etc. but this one I never saw coming and it just got me thinking and wondering if it was going to change the fun of riding for me, I can't imagine it will because I can't wait to get back on the saddle and enjoy the new VTX but then again I haven't actually road since then so it was just some questions. :mosh:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
We all know riding, as with many other things, comes with risk.

There are certain precautions we can take to minimize those risks and/or damage like wearing a helmet if it is not mandatory, increasing our visibility, taking advanced skills courses etc - or we may choose not to. These are the choices we make, depending on the level of risk we are prepared to take, but these only effect the areas that we have some control over.

If there is anything you can take/learn from the accident that makes you a better rider, use it. Otherwise, you know this accident was outside your control, so don't let it effect your confidence or have a negative impact on your riding style.

Ride safe!

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
Ok, WOW. I can't even believe that story, not saying it isn't true. The kid didn't even get charged? I am highly surprised your wife didn't go all motherly on his azz and make him feel guilty and read him the riot act. I would definitely get a lawyer and pursue this hard. I would want this irresponsible kid to learn something from all this, even if it was as harsh as garnishing his wages for a few years to pay for all this.

I'm glad it was not worse for you, but just thinking about letting you lie there when you could have had internal injuries and been much worse off while he was drunk really burns my azz.

Good luck with everything man.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Glad your injuries weren't worse then they were, In a way you are lucky. It could have been a lot worse. OK now for the guy that hit you is he related to a cop or someone that is? I can't beleive he wasn't given a summons of some kind!!! I'd take him through the ringer, seeing as how concearned he was about you. No call for an ambulance or help of any kind. I'd pursue this in any Court manner possiable. And if all that failed. I'd beat him within an inch of his life, Bet they would charge you. Might just be worth it!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had a accident in February of this year. I am getting my bike back from repair shop end of this month. I had a 500cc scooter to ride when I was finally able. I was extremely leary. I road in the parking lot of my complex on the scooter for about a week. I am leary of anyone on the sife of me that can cut me off. I have changed my habits and am always sure anyone next me or near me can pull in front of me with room to spare. Take it easy you don't have to go back on the highway when you forst go out. take it easy and careful and good luck.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I feel for you boondoxliver. I've been there too. Got rear ended, totaled the bike, but I was blessed like you with mostly minor injuries. Was also apprehensive when the time came to buy another bike. Did it anyway and it wasn't as bad as I had expected it to be. Take it at your own pace and enjoy the time you have on the new bike.:cheers:

·
Registered
216 Posts
I t-boned a car who pulled across the road and stopped in front of me last Saturday. I know there was nothing I could have done to alter it. If I was in the truck it would have happened. I was fortunate, ATGATT, and came away with bruises and a sprained wrist. I am ready to get back on, with more lights up front and being extra careful to not be shielded from view by other vehicles, as much as I can......

Every event is different, both the circumstances and the individuals involved. Go at the pace that is right for you. If you push too hard you will be distracted by your anxieties and not be safe. $0.02

·
Registered
119 Posts
Be gentle with yourself and trust your gut. It's normal to be a little or even a lot nervous. Different people react differently, some go down and never get back on the bike. Others go down and jump right back on. The majority of us fall somewhere in between.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts