Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Senior Member - 99%er
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 weeks ago bought a 05 vtx 1800 F with only 1,600 garage kept miles but common sense, and forum discussions, has me wanting to replace the tires asap. I’ve never had to replace tires before as I haven’t been riding long enough on a bike that needed it. I hear that there are waiting times, and shop costs to mount and balance to deal with but I’m impatient to be able to ride without worry. I’ve already chanced riding 400 miles. Specs say I need a 130/55 R18 and a 180/55 R18. I ride fairly flat NJ roads and highways but hope to travel to neighboring states.
Questions:
1) How close to these tire sizes do I need to be?
2) Should I stick to radial tires? (Been offered Bias Belted, like I know the difference)
3) Is there a big difference in the makes? Are any junk?
4) Any links to decent tires that I don’t have to wait weeks for? (If not, I’m gonna jump on a offer of American Elite Dunlops. Not my first choice but available immediately)

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
3 weeks ago bought a 05 vtx 1800 F with only 1,600 garage kept miles but common sense, and forum discussions, has me wanting to replace the tires asap. I’ve never had to replace tires before as I haven’t been riding long enough on a bike that needed it. I hear that there are waiting times, and shop costs to mount and balance to deal with but I’m impatient to be able to ride without worry. I’ve already chanced riding 400 miles. Specs say I need a 130/55 R18 and a 180/55 R18. I ride fairly flat NJ roads and highways but hope to travel to neighboring states.
Questions:
1) How close to these tire sizes do I need to be?
2) Should I stick to radial tires? (Been offered Bias Belted, like I know the difference)
3) Is there a big difference in the makes? Are any junk?
4) Any links to decent tires that I don’t have to wait weeks for? (If not, I’m gonna jump on a offer of American Elite Dunlops. Not my first choice but available immediately)
I run a radial car tire on the rear, and a bias Dunny Elite 4 on the front. No issues. Except I can't get out to ride like I used to.

Reactions: mechajob

·
Registered
2005 VTX1800 S2
58 Posts
I got my last tires off of Amazon, and did not have any trouble getting them immediately. It looks like they have a few options in your rear, but do not list the 130/55 r18 for the front. They do have a 130/70 r18, which would be 1 1/2" larger diameter.

·
Super Moderator
12,178 Posts
No guarantee they have your size or desired brand, but I recommend looking online at the website Rocky Mountain ATV. I have bought all my tires from there for about 10 years for a lot of bikes and they have always had the cheapest prices, free shipping, and fast shipping. A month or so ago, it took me ~18 hours from placing the order (~6:00 p.m. on a Tuesday evening) until delivery to my home (~noon on Wed.) in the mountains of western NC of two new tires.

Reactions: Flying Hawaiian

·
Senior Member - 99%er
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was able to get a set by combining Rocky Mountain and eBay. On eBay they’re listed as Harley tires tho.
(The reviews on Amazon scared me from buying there. At least for one promising tire)

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
8,356 Posts
Even if you get old(er) tires they will be far less than 17 years old. I plan to replace tires every 3 years anyway if they last that long. Personal preference.

·
Senior Member - 99%er
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even if you get old(er) tires they will be far less than 17 years old. I plan to replace tires every 3 years anyway if they last that long. Personal preference.
I bought an 05 bike with original tires. Wouldn’t wait that long to change them. Lol.

Reactions: PaXman11

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
Was able to get a set by combining Rocky Mountain and eBay. On eBay they’re listed as Harley tires tho.
(The reviews on Amazon scared me from buying there. At least for one promising tire)
What were your 4 digit date codes? Are they fresh enough?

·
Senior Member - 99%er
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doesn’t say. Just says new. They’re Metzelers. With this tire shortage I can’t imagine they were sitting for years.

Reactions: IndyX

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
Doesn’t say. Just says new. They’re Metzelers. With this tire shortage I can’t imagine they were sitting for years.
The good news there is the Metz 888's haven't been around but for a few years, so yeah you should be OK there. Be curious though and see what the code is when you get them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts